IGNORED

Game Drive menu screen always skewed to the left

This is something I've noticed everytime I turn on my Jaguar with the Game Drive is the menu screen is always skewed to the left causing a 1 inch bar on the right. I've noticed this also on certain games when loaded they are skewed left so sometimes things are cut off on the left side so I attached a picture of that also.

This is on a 40 inch Sony Bravia LCD and I know I'm a weirdo but I like to play my games in full screen versus 4:3. But I have even loaded games in 4:3 and even then they still are skewed to the left it just isn't as noticeable given the large bars already on the side during 4:3 mode, as shown in the Rayman picture. So the skewing still occurs regardless if in 16:9 or 4:3 it's just more noticeable on 16:9

Is there any way to correct this in a firmware update perhaps so the the user can adjust this manually if desired? Not that this is a major thing as most people probably play in 4:3 or on a CRT. I cannot seen to find any easy settings or adjust.ents on my TV that allow me to push it to the right. 

20220503_104009.jpg

20220504_125543.jpg

20220503_110858.jpg

20220505_104832.jpg

It's the way the TV is handling the image, there's nothing I can do unfortunately. Your best bet for using any old RGB SCART based devices on new TV's is through something like the RetroTink or OSSC which are designed to properly handle these inputs and upscale to HDMI.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zerosquare said:

Does it do the same thing with standard cartridges?

It's full screen on standard carts. I did a test on 3 carts yesterday just to make sure and it was full screen all the way to the right. 

What's odd is its only some games fill the screen and others are skewed when using the Game Drive so I thought maybe it qas how the TV reads the game drive versus oem carts. But the menu has always been skewed for me.

I wasn't sure if that was say an option for firmware where the user could adjust it like holding C and pressing the Dpad to adjust. 

Edited by UHATEIT

I'd guess that the Game Drive menu configures the video registers slightly differently than the "normal" boot. On paper it shouldn't matter, since games are supposed to do their own configuration at startup, but some of them don't and rely on the hardware being already initialized by the boot ROM.

If that's indeed the problem, it's something that can be solved with a firmware update.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zerosquare said:

I'd guess that the Game Drive menu configures the video registers slightly differently than the "normal" boot. On paper it shouldn't matter, since games are supposed to do their own configuration at startup, but some of them don't and rely on the hardware being already initialized by the boot ROM.

If that's indeed the problem, it's something that can be solved with a firmware update.

Yeha it isn't anything drastic, it's just something I personally noticed so I would imagine with the # of GD's out there right now there have to be others who are seeing the leftward skew on their TV like I am. When booting games it depends on the game as SOME skew left the others are still fine, so it's not any specific rom persay. I just thought it would be cool if say in a firmware update there was an option to adjust the screen by the user.

I cannot remember which game it was, but there is a rom I have on my GD for a game, probably a demo or homebrew, that actually allows you to adjust the screen to center it before playing.