IGNORED

5200 overlays

classicgamer74

21 minutes ago, classicgamer74 said:

Does anyone on here make 5200 overlays?  I have some games and they didn't come with the overlays. :( 

@pboland was making them a few years back. Not sure if they are still being offered but it was possible to order them on a game by game basis that they offered replacements for. But also remember that NOT all games came with overlays either and some came with overlays that really didn't need them at all.

19 minutes ago, classicgamer74 said:

Made to order is fine.  I only want the ones for Star Raiders.  I got the cart for next to nothing but it didn't come with the overlays. ?

Wow... I literally just gave away a spare Star Raiders cart earlier this week that came with a set of my own homemade overlays I did like 20 years ago!!!

BTW...they were made using transparency sheets and printing the images of the overlays in reverse on them and then followed by two light coats of white krylon and clear coat.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

BTW...they were made using transparency sheets and printing the images of the overlays in reverse on them and then followed by two light coats of white krylon and clear coat.

Sounds like you should get into the overlay business.  I'd buy 'em!?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

Sounds like you should get into the overlay business.  I'd buy 'em!?

Nah...they really didn't look that clear although I believe I did use the scans from this site to make them at the time. I only did a few overlays for a few games I had in the early aughts that didn't come with them. I've since purchase a CIB Star Raiders a few years back and didn't need this spare so it was provided as a bonus with a recent commission request.

• Like 1

SOMEONE oughta get into making overlays for all 400+ titles (or at least have designs of them, including reproductions of all 69 original titles, homebrews, and A8 conversions, including all those ports done by Paul Lay @playsoft, Steven Tucker @classics, and @Wrathchild already done up) all ready to print-to-order. Hell, I'd buy the whole set. Even if they aren't on cartridge (if they are only files) the games still need them. You can't figure the games out without them, especially the homebrews and conversions.

I believe that ColecoVision owners are already spoiled with such a third-party service, even some of the homebrews have overlays made up custom-ordered. I know, I also own one of those too

1 hour ago, BIGHMW said:

SOMEONE oughta get into making overlays for all 400+ titles (or at least have designs of them, including reproductions of all 69 original titles, homebrews, and A8 conversions, including all those ports done by Paul Lay @playsoft, Steven Tucker @classics, and @Wrathchild already done up) all ready to print-to-order. Hell, I'd buy the whole set. Even if they aren't on cartridge (if they are only files) the games still need them. You can't figure the games out without them, especially the homebrews and conversions.

I believe that ColecoVision owners are already spoiled with such a third-party service, even some of the homebrews have overlays made up custom-ordered. I know, I also own one of those too

I wonder what could be done with some decent quality card stock and a laminator?  Inkjet printers are dead cheap, and Amazon sells a laminator for around $20.  just a thought.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I wonder what could be done with some decent quality card stock and a laminator?  Inkjet printers are dead cheap, and Amazon sells a laminator for around $20.  just a thought.

This was my first thought but I found the cardstock to be too thick to actually slot into the back of the carts. So I just reversed printed onto transparency sheets with an inkjet printer. Then on the printed side, I used the krylon flat white to cover of the reverse printing to help protect it and also bring out the colors more. The clear coat was to help prevent cracking etc over time. After that, I just used a hobby knife to cut them into the same shape/size as originals. They worked although they were more stiff as opposed to actual overlays and I honestly didn't use them as much as I thought I would. I would eventually learn and memorize the buttons I needed for games like Star Raiders.

• Like 2

Yes, I still make 5200 overlays. Please keep in mind I have a $20.00 minimum order (not including shipping). All overlays are $2.00 each. If you are interested, please PM me for more details and my current catalog. BTW, I also make cart labels as well. [Added catalog below]

5200OverlayCatalog-1.thumb.jpg.36c5b70aba485d749bc732c8c678b076.jpg

5200OverlayCatalog-2.thumb.jpg.6ead796686a4309c724e994667c95072.jpg

5200OverlayCatalog-3.thumb.jpg.7bb4cae0ccabdadf32b87ca079630917.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

This was my first thought but I found the cardstock to be too thick to actually slot into the back of the carts. So I just reversed printed onto transparency sheets with an inkjet printer. Then on the printed side, I used the krylon flat white to cover of the reverse printing to help protect it and also bring out the colors more. The clear coat was to help prevent cracking etc over time. After that, I just used a hobby knife to cut them into the same shape/size as originals. They worked although they were more stiff as opposed to actual overlays and I honestly didn't use them as much as I thought I would. I would eventually learn and memorize the buttons I needed for games like Star Raiders.

Awesome - thanks for the info.  You saved me some time and waste.

51 minutes ago, pboland said:

Yes, I still make 5200 overlays. Please keep in mind I have a $20.00 minimum order (not including shipping). All overlays are $2.00 each. If you are interested, please PM me for more details and my current catalog. BTW, I also make cart labels as well. [Added catalog below]

Awesome work and a great price.

• Like 2

On 5/6/2022 at 6:28 PM, pboland said:

5200OverlayCatalog-1.thumb.jpg.36c5b70aba485d749bc732c8c678b076.jpg

5200OverlayCatalog-2.thumb.jpg.6ead796686a4309c724e994667c95072.jpg

5200OverlayCatalog-3.thumb.jpg.7bb4cae0ccabdadf32b87ca079630917.jpg

Very happy with your work.  Thanks.

• 1 year later...
18 hours ago, Old-school said:

I know it’s been a few years but does anyone know where I can purchase overlays. I am looking for the complete set of US released games. Thank you in advance for any help and information.

eBay, if your after OE

Or @pboland makes new overlays, just pm him and get his catalog.