IGNORED

Many of the vert Shmups are so similar

This is not a complaint, I love all these shmups for the most part, but I can't help but notice just how similar they all seem:

-Blazing Lazers

-Cyber Core

-Override

-Soldier Blade

-Super Star Soldier

-Tatsujin

They all have a pretty large ship, similar enemy attack patterns and similar power up structures. Any other similar games I'm missing from the list? I wasn't sure on Armed Formation F, I haven't played that one recently.

• Like 1

Seirei Senshi Spriggan (and probably others in the MUSHA series)

when I first saw gameplay of Spriggan I thought it was a Star Soldier game.  With the little destructible squares on the ground and everything.

Also, aren't there 3 Star Soldier games on the TG16?

• Like 1

On 5/7/2022 at 4:06 PM, roots.genoa said:

Yes, you forgot my favorite (because the easiest), (not) Final Soldier.

Well, I found that game on my Everdrive, and yes it's another shmup similar to others. It does seem super easy. I didn't beat the game, but I blew through the first couple of levels quite handily before losing all my ships in quick succession. Seems a nice game though!

On 5/6/2022 at 8:03 PM, Cobra Kai said:

This is not a complaint, I love all these shmups for the most part, but I can't help but notice just how similar they all seem:

-Blazing Lazers

-Cyber Core

-Override

-Soldier Blade

-Super Star Soldier

-Tatsujin

They all have a pretty large ship, similar enemy attack patterns and similar power up structures. Any other similar games I'm missing from the list? I wasn't sure on Armed Formation F, I haven't played that one recently.

I've played all of these extensively except Tatusjin (because that game is ridiculously expensive)... they are not all the same. Out of all of these I would say Soldier Blade is the most refined. My favorite shmup ever and I beat it last December. Override is another favorite of mine but the game throws a lot of crap at you in the later stages. Super Star Soldier has huge increase in difficulty at the second stage for some reason. Blazing Lazers (Gunhed is the version I have) I have come close to beating but not yet. I've still yet to really lean Cyber Core yet. Some other faves of mine are Star Parodier, Seirei Senshi Spriggan, and Super Raiden (all CD games).

I just grabbed Dragon Saber on HuCard and that is what I've been playing on my PC Engine lately. It's cool that it has 2 player co-op. I wish I had someone to play it with.

Edited by DragonGrafx-16

• 4 weeks later...

This is not exactly on topic but I can't be bothered to start a new thread. Anybody got past the first few enemies in Heavy Unit? I keep thinking I'm missing something here...I'm in no way an STG wiz, but also not a total wimp, and this game seems impossibly hard. I can just about get the first power up from the skull snake, which seems to be only Speed, the survive the next 2 looping ones and then it's curtains, because of the gun towers + dragons + crusher. I mean, come on...this plays like Level 3 at least, not the beginning of the game :D

On 5/6/2022 at 8:03 PM, Cobra Kai said:

All shmups tend to be alike, especially when they're of a series or made for the same machine or by the same publisher.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...