IGNORED

Season 20 Round 10 - Adventure Island III

asponge

I'm posting this early because I don't think I'm going to have any other time this weekend to get it done.  It doesn't seem like anyone is really enjoying RC Pro-Am anyway.  The score for this one disappears once you're out of lives and doesn't return so make sure you take note before game over.

286315745_AdventureIsland3Cartridge.png.18a331bc598b6b3f908af19eb0d4668e.png 72399579_AdventureIsland3Screenshot.png.78668868a6f10effbe61ef14b90b3e08.png

Game Rules:

No Continues

Manual

Score Post Deadline: Sunday May 22 at 11:59 PM CDT.

AtariAge High Score:

None

Scores as of 5/22:

Razzie.P     274,200
Frozone212    79,000
RuySan        49,250
mbd39         48,650
fakecortex    32,000
wongojack     30,650
asponge       27,700
jblenkle      13,150
roadrunner     7,800

Season Standings:

Scoreboard.png.065b7340835af192866bde0be6d19423.png

General HSC Season Rules:

• To participate, just post a score to the thread. Anyone can join in at any time.
  • A picture or screenshot is encouraged when posting a score but not required.
  • The season is 15 rounds long.
  • Games will be posted on Sundays and run two weeks through Sunday at 11:59 PM CST.
  • Do not exploit game glitches, take advantage of 1-up loops or intentionally die in order to replay a level.
  • If "point pressing" is not specified in the game rules you should be moving forward in an attempt to complete/loop the game and not "camping" for points.
  • No emulator save states, slow-mo, rewind, etc.
  • No cheats, e.g. Konami code, Game Genie, etc.
  • Turbo controllers are allowed.
  • Season points are awarded according to the following chart:
    1110848006_ScoreChart.png.e4e6c238b16cc1de0a8133d7d8dfa42d.png

10 hours ago, Frozone212 said:

what is point pressing? I see in in the rules but have no idea what it means.

It means to keep killing enemies or do some other thing to rack up points rather than focus on playing through the game. Deliberately burning extra lives for points also counts as point pressing. For example, Contra doesn't have a timer, so you can stay in one spot and keep killing enemies indefinitely. It's a cheap and tedious way to get a high score hence usually forbidden in the contests.

Pressing is more acceptable if there's a timer to put a limit on it. Kung Fu, for example. So sometimes it's allowed depending on the game.,

• Like 1

I like the first two in the series better. I can't remember whether AI2 also suffers from this, but the controls are very slippery when using certain dinosaurs. If you're going too fast you'll just slide off small platforms. Very annoying.

Edited by mbd39

10 minutes ago, Frozone212 said:

I do NOT have the patience to do the entire game over every time i die.

Allow continues or I'm out of future competitions.

It's just...unfair, these games are hard enough as is

This is a high score contest, lol. Allowing continues makes no sense because you lose your score at game over.

• Like 2

Played this thing all weekend and today, and finally finished it.  I left a lot of points on the table by just trying to make it to the end at some points, and missed the secret areas.

Couldn't get a screenshot because the score goes away once you defeat the boss and doesn't come back.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2022 at 7:42 PM, mbd39 said:

the controls are very slippery when using certain dinosaurs.

Yep, that's just how those bigger models handled back in the day.  You had to ride out on a velociraptor or something if you wanted things like Traction Control and ABS.  

Slick game, but going left to right gets stale a bit fast for me. If it's a run n' gun it needs to be shorter and more intense. I just checked and there's way too many levels for this kind of game.

And slidey ice levels are a pet peeve of mine. Does anyone ever enjoyed them?

Hudson's Adventure Island III-220510-113311.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RuySan said:

If it's a run n' gun it needs to be shorter and more intense. I just checked and there's way too many levels for this kind of game.

Took me just over an hour to complete.  Not sure if that's in line with where you think that's too long, too short, just right.

3 hours ago, RuySan said:

And slidey ice levels are a pet peeve of mine. Does anyone ever enjoyed them?

Generally, I'm not a fan of ice levels either, but this whole game feels a bit "slidey" to me, so I didn't mind as much.  Some of my favorite parts where the hectic, rapid "jump, jump, jump" platforming, and that seemed to happen with the ice bits a lot  :) 

17 hours ago, Frozone212 said:

got a game over before I could screenshot

Did you add an extra 0 to that accidentally, or you go from "world 1 and frustrated" to "darn near mastery" in record time (based on the timestamps of your posts)?  ?

If it's the latter, kudos.  Were you able to beat it?  If not, how far?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

Took me just over an hour to complete.  Not sure if that's in line with where you think that's too long, too short, just right.

There's no magic number, but for one hour run I feel the game needs to have more variation in gameplay, although I'll have a few more goes with this.

3 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

Did you add an extra 0 to that accidentally, or you go from "world 1 and frustrated" to "darn near mastery" in record time (based on the timestamps of your posts)?  ?

If it's the latter, kudos.  Were you able to beat it?  If not, how far?

I got to the 5th world then died. No i did not beat it and yes the score is accurate