IGNORED

A.R.T.I. [Done]

Muddyfunster

Little update on the demo and when it will be out.

My plan is to release a demo once I have a few more levels built and tested (like Keystone Koppers, I'll be aiming for something like 10 levels).

Building the levels in the engine doesn't take much time, but...I'm currently reworking the engine a bit to take advantage of compression  of the level files meaning that more levels can ultimately be included into the final binary (Big thanks to @RevEng for his help and guidance on this). I am aiming for all 256 classic screens + at least 50 new screens. It also means that I can target a 128K binary meaning that Concerto users don't have to miss out on things in the longer term. How successful I'll be though, remains to be seen :).

So expect the demo in a couple of weeks, hopefully with some POKEY bahwah to go with it.

Thanks for all the kind words, it's appreciated. ?

• Like 16

1 hour ago, Muddyfunster said:

Little update on the demo and when it will be out.

My plan is to release a demo once I have a few more levels built and tested (like Keystone Koppers, I'll be aiming for something like 10 levels).

Building the levels in the engine doesn't take much time, but...I'm currently reworking the engine a bit to take advantage of compression  of the level files meaning that more levels can ultimately be included into the final binary (Big thanks to @RevEng for his help and guidance on this). I am aiming for all 256 classic screens + at least 50 new screens. It also means that I can target a 128K binary meaning that Concerto users don't have to miss out on things in the longer term. How successful I'll be though, remains to be seen :).

So expect the demo in a couple of weeks, hopefully with some POKEY bahwah to go with it.

Thanks for all the kind words, it's appreciated. ?

I literally just came here to ask if you were planning on releasing a demo, and how far out that might be! REally excited for this one. It was my favorite 2600 game growing up, always wanted a 7800 port/upgrade.

thank you so much!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

It took a bit longer than I expected, partly due to work on finalising the Release Candidate code for Keystone Koppers, but I now have an extended demo of A.R.T.I. ready to share (well almost ready!)

@ZeroPage Homebrew will be streaming a playthrough of the latest build on Friday 15th July and I'll make the demo available to download shortly after that.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Silver Back said:

Just incredible work and the screens look great!  How are you pumping out so many exciting releases so quickly?  And can we expect cartridge availability for all of them (EXO, Cubic Conundrum, Keystone Kapers, etc) including this one or is that up in the air?

Thanks @Silver Back :) 

The plan is for Keystone Koppers and E.X.O. to be released on cart this year, most likely for PRGE. 

Bernie is on hold but not abandoned. I'll be picking that one up again in the future, plus I have some other Bernie related projects that are cooking along for the future too.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing the Exclusive WIP Update of A.R.T.I. - Archeological Rescue Team International on tomorrow's stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:

(WATCH AT 1080P60 FOR BEST QUALITY)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing the Exclusive WIP Update of A.R.T.I. - Archeological Rescue Team International on tomorrow's stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:

1510091166_20220715-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.f1438cb16fff57cac3e3b2c95f0d92c9.jpg

:-o:-o:-o

• Like 3

I've added a demo download to the first post of this thread

The demo is 7 levels long and is a work in progress, so there may will be glitches, bugs and unexpected things happen. There are versions for Concerto and Everything else (Dragonfly, MiSTer, BUP, A7800 etc).

If you spot any odd things, please do post a bug report!

There is still a lot to do with A.R.T.I and it remains very much a work in progress, but it's coming along well. I hope everyone has some fun with the demo!

A.R.T.I. Roadmap looks a bit like this :

• Addition of two more uniquely themed areas (graphically these are about 75 and 50% complete respectively).
  • Remaining classic levels (taking the screen count to 256)
  • Additional levels (shooting for as many as 90 additional screens - depending on how far the compression routines will let me go!).
  • SaveKey + AV support.
  • Options screen (disable music, activate CRT mode, and so on).
  • Dynamite can't kill beasties yet, that needs adding.
  • Lasers kill walls too fast and walls need a "damaged" graphic.
  • PAL version (probably a while before we get that).

Feedback appreciated!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

This demo is absolutely wonderful. Holy crap!

the only slight difference is the travel speed of the player/copter is a tiny bit slower than the original, which makes it a bit easier. But graphically it is absolutely gorgeous. Also - if the lava rock walls would glow in and out it would make for fewer accidental lava deaths.

but really - gorgeous. Thank you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Muddyfunster said:

Did anyone test the demo on Concerto?

@bhall408 let me know if this works on Argon please (sorry I don't have any way to test on Argon!)

Thanks

Sorry - yes! I did test on Concerto. It plays perfectly, with the tiny exception of the expected graphical glitches around some letters on the title screen, like Keystone Kapers. But other than that it is perfect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1