IGNORED

A.R.T.I. [Done]

Muddyfunster

On both, my A3 Serial and AT84 Serial, I receive the same results with the Concerto Demo 1 build: 

-Typical minor graphic corruption at the beginning of lines on the Title and Instructions screens; otherwise, in game, the graphics are fine. 

-Under both systems only TIA sound effects are heard, background POKEY music is absent.

Hello,

today i tried to run on my A7800 with Dragonfly. The game started correctly, but I don't know why I can only move left or right or shoot, UP and Down doesn't work at all, that is, I can't fly or place bombs. does anyone something like this in this configuration.

If the JS7800 is anything like ProSystem as far as POKEY, I can pretty much tell you the music is going to sound different.  The level 1 tune uses two tone to get the fluttery flute sound, which sounds out of tune on ProSystem.  In addition, the Egyptian and Game Over themes use reverse 16-bit mode with both channels playing to get that lead sound.  ProSystem also fails at this.

On 7/28/2022 at 8:33 PM, Kroll said:

Hello,

today i tried to run on my A7800 with Dragonfly. The game started correctly, but I don't know why I can only move left or right or shoot, UP and Down doesn't work at all, that is, I can't fly or place bombs. does anyone something like this in this configuration.

I've not come across this problem in any of my testing.

Have you tried running the game on a "warm" machine? (run something on your 7800 for 6 or 7 minutes before loading the game from Dragonfly)

Hi Kroll, thanks for checking, in that case, I don't know what else to suggest. It is a strange behaviour. 

I would think you have already checked, but have you checked your controller is working on another game? Have you tried another controller ?

Are you using a 2 button controller?

39 minutes ago, Muddyfunster said:

Hi Kroll, thanks for checking, in that case, I don't know what else to suggest. It is a strange behaviour. 

I would think you have already checked, but have you checked your controller is working on another game? Have you tried another controller ?

Are you using a 2 button controller?

I have PAL version of A7800 machine and two controllers. I checked with the other games loading DragonFly for example Commando, Asteroide etc everything work fine. I have original controller from A7800, CX78 with two buttons.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Kroll said:

I have PAL version of A7800 machine and two controllers. I checked with the other games loading DragonFly for example Commando, Asteroide etc everything work fine. I have original controller from A7800, CX78 with two buttons.

OK, I just checked this on my PAL machine and I get the same issue.

The demo was not optimised for PAL but should have run on just fine, it just wouldn't be optimised for the correct speeds etc.

Thanks for flagging this I'll take a look and see why this is glitching on PAL machines.

I've identified the issue and I've posted a fixed Binary for PAL users on the first page of this thread.

Please note though that the demo is not fully PAL optimised yet, there may be speed issues. (some stuff too slow for example).

Thanks again @Kroll and @Flashback for checking and flagging the problem!

• Like 2

On 5/7/2022 at 7:42 AM, Muddyfunster said:

A.R.T.I. (Archaeological Rescue Team International)

A.R.T.I. is my take on a port of the classic 2600/C64/A8 game H.E.R.O. by Jon Van Ryzin. H.E.R.O. along side Keystone Kapers was another of my favourite 2600 titles.

This adaptation for the 7800 is based on the 2600, 5200 and C64 versions and closely follows the level layout of all three, with the plan being to add extra levels beyond the originals.

Objective

You are Arty's new apprentice. A bunch of explorers and adventurers have got themselves lost in South America and you need to go and rescue them.

There are additional on-ROM instructions accessible from the title page. 

Controls

Left & Right - Run / fly left and right.

Up - Activate the Gyrocopter backpack

Fire 1- Laser

Fire 2- Dynamite

Scoring 

Rescuing a lost explorer or adventurer will earn you 1,000 points.

Destroying a wall is worth 75 points

Killing any critters or beasties is worth 50 points

Bonus points are awarded for each stick of dynamite remaining and for remaining power, when making a rescue.

An extra life is awarded at 20,000 points

Demo

A 7 level demo is available below. Please chose the correct version depending on how you want to play.

Please note the demo is currently designed for NTSC machines and is not fully optimised for PAL machines yet- there may be speed glitches etc.

A.R.T.I. Compatibility 

image.png.2a43f4980fabfb54b05fba638ef7df42.png

• A.R.T.I works with most Emulators but has some issues with BUP System (Some POKEY notes are off key) and ProSystem based emulators (some graphical glitches).
  • A.R.T.I works ok with Concerto but there are some minor graphical glitches on the text on the titlescreen (known Concerto issue).
  • A.R.T.I is untested with Argon.

Plans

• All original version screens
  • Additional screens (extra levels)
  • Themed rescue zones.
  • SaveKey + AtariVox support for hiscore saving.

Credits & Thanks

@sramirez2008 @-^CrossBow^- @Trebor for their testing and feedback - fantastic as always!

@RevEng for help with compression and answering my never ending stream of questions!

@Synthpopalooza for some Pokey Perfection

@mksmith for helping to get the tunes into the game!

@ZeroPage Homebrew for showing the demo on the stream

Media 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MUgBf8ORLQ&t=2046s

0003.thumb.png.a6a709d0cb7760fceb3d3a756b2bfd7d.png0004.thumb.png.f3f6ddf4a4a31d811dc8058abd801160.png0001.thumb.png.eb011c80a7c1218b8e6c5fe2d1a2d70e.png0002.thumb.png.c9b6d32b70043f3c4f790dd111d346a0.png

0005.thumb.png.d3fc7a0315482e17fcc5af94a0f57efe.png0004.thumb.png.60fa57ccd61a715e0b6e0f1df2166064.png

0006.thumb.png.c927b1bdab01b6e6c3f40d4b8ba3b470.png0010.thumb.png.1529cfda4e356f051c6dc6f9ffb3bb52.png

ARTI_PublicDemo1.a78 128.13 kB · 120 downloads

ARTI_Concerto_PublicDemo1.a78 128.13 kB · 64 downloads

ARTI_PAL_FIXED_Demo1.a78 128.13 kB · 16 downloads

My sincere congratulations to the all MuddyVision team for this preview. A full demo game play in your honor. Courtesy from ATARI 8 BITS FOR EVER for your whole effort and dedication :

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Great job with this.

I'm playing it on a Dragonfly and I'm getting audio glitching at random times. Lasts for a few seconds and resolves itself.

I think someone already mentioned this but it would be nice if the lava walls glowed to indicate the danger.

And in the original HERO, if you broke a lamp and the room goes dark, you can still see the tunnel exits at the bottom of the screen. In ARTI you can't. This makes dark rooms a lot harder in ARTI.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/7/2022 at 8:42 AM, Muddyfunster said:

A.R.T.I. (Archaeological Rescue Team International)

A.R.T.I. is my take on a port of the classic 2600/C64/A8 game H.E.R.O. by Jon Van Ryzin. H.E.R.O. along side Keystone Kapers was another of my favourite 2600 titles.

This adaptation for the 7800 is based on the 2600, 5200 and C64 versions and closely follows the level layout of all three, with the plan being to add extra levels beyond the originals.

Objective

You are Arty's new apprentice. A bunch of explorers and adventurers have got themselves lost in South America and you need to go and rescue them.

There are additional on-ROM instructions accessible from the title page. 

Controls

Left & Right - Run / fly left and right.

Up - Activate the Gyrocopter backpack

Fire 1- Laser

Fire 2- Dynamite

Scoring 

Rescuing a lost explorer or adventurer will earn you 1,000 points.

Destroying a wall is worth 75 points

Killing any critters or beasties is worth 50 points

Bonus points are awarded for each stick of dynamite remaining and for remaining power, when making a rescue.

An extra life is awarded at 20,000 points

Demo

A 7 level demo is available below. Please chose the correct version depending on how you want to play.

Please note the demo is currently designed for NTSC machines and is not fully optimised for PAL machines yet- there may be speed glitches etc.

A.R.T.I. Compatibility 

image.png.2a43f4980fabfb54b05fba638ef7df42.png

• A.R.T.I works with most Emulators but has some issues with BUP System (Some POKEY notes are off key) and ProSystem based emulators (some graphical glitches).
  • A.R.T.I works ok with Concerto but there are some minor graphical glitches on the text on the titlescreen (known Concerto issue).
  • A.R.T.I is untested with Argon.

Plans

• All original version screens
  • Additional screens (extra levels)
  • Themed rescue zones.
  • SaveKey + AtariVox support for hiscore saving.

Credits & Thanks

@sramirez2008 @-^CrossBow^- @Trebor for their testing and feedback - fantastic as always!

@RevEng for help with compression and answering my never ending stream of questions!

@Synthpopalooza for some Pokey Perfection

@mksmith for helping to get the tunes into the game!

@ZeroPage Homebrew for showing the demo on the stream

Media 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MUgBf8ORLQ&t=2046s

0003.thumb.png.a6a709d0cb7760fceb3d3a756b2bfd7d.png0004.thumb.png.f3f6ddf4a4a31d811dc8058abd801160.png0001.thumb.png.eb011c80a7c1218b8e6c5fe2d1a2d70e.png0002.thumb.png.c9b6d32b70043f3c4f790dd111d346a0.png

0005.thumb.png.d3fc7a0315482e17fcc5af94a0f57efe.png0004.thumb.png.60fa57ccd61a715e0b6e0f1df2166064.png

0006.thumb.png.c927b1bdab01b6e6c3f40d4b8ba3b470.png0010.thumb.png.1529cfda4e356f051c6dc6f9ffb3bb52.png

ARTI_PublicDemo1.a78 128.13 kB · 227 downloads

ARTI_Concerto_PublicDemo1.a78 128.13 kB · 114 downloads

ARTI_PAL_FIXED_Demo1.a78 128.13 kB · 82 downloads

If it wern't for the fat pixels I'd think this was a modern game! (On a modern system)

Great job @Muddyfunster. What mode(s) are you using? I'd say 160A but the background is too colorful to be 160A.

• Like 1