IGNORED

Atari 2600 One Paddle Input Not working

zoggins

I have a heavy sixer that has one paddle input not working.  I have tried multiple paddles and all the paddles work in controller port 2, controller port 1 has the issue.  I have tested the circuit for continuity and checked the resistor and cap values which all check out.  I even swapped the TIA which didn't change anything.  The circuit doesn't seem complex, so I am wracking my brain trying to think of what to check next.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

The only other component would likely be the RIOT IC at that point. I just finished up working on a 7800 that had a similar issue. In the case of the 7800, as soon as you plugged in a set of paddle controllers into port 1, both fire buttons would register as always active and the paddles them selves would go full right and never respond. 2nd controller port, the paddles worked properly.

In the case of that 7800 it is actually due to a faulty TIA as when I swapped it out with a working one from a heavy sixer in fact, the paddles would work normally in port 1. But my client elected for me to just install the TIA into a socket so they could replace it with a different TIA on their own in the future.