IGNORED

ACSI2SD 1GB Image + Cubase

I'm new to the Atari ST so please be gentle XD

I've got a 1040 STf with Rainbow TOS, the ACSI2SD solution, and high-res mode via the SM125. I can autoboot with it thanks to this 1GB image. This machine is connected to my digital piano and MT32-Pi via MIDI cables.

What I want to do is put Cubase on it and play around with some music, but every time I find a copy of Cubase to use (whether Lite or *ahem* otherwise) and put it on my SD card the program goes to launch then closes immediately with no error message. Sometimes I see a few bombs on the screen but only for a flash second.

From my research, it seems like Cubase isn't written to be run from a hard disk but even when I put the files on a floppy it does not work either. :(

Do you have any ideas?

Edited by rocky1138

39 minutes ago, TGB1718 said:

I just tried Cubase Lite from a hard disk download in SteemSSE and it loaded fine.

I'm using TOS 2.06 STE 4MB (same as my real STE)

Hmm OK. I'm sure it's something I am doing. Did you get Cubase Lite from here? If not, can you link to the site you got it from please?

6 hours ago, zzip said:

How much RAM do you have, do you have auto boot programs and/or desk accessories loading that are consuming extra memory? 

Also do you have issues loading any other apps?

I've started to suspect it's a lack of RAM, as well. I tried opening SYSINFO.PRG and it stated that it wouldn't run because it needed at least 350 kB free :(. I don't know how to check for boot programs and/or desk accessories. There isn't anything in any of the dropdown menus in TOS to show those AFAICT.

It might be best to buy/build one of these 4MB RAM expansions: https://github.com/agranlund/STRam.

4 minutes ago, rocky1138 said:

I've started to suspect it's a lack of RAM, as well. I tried opening SYSINFO.PRG and it stated that it wouldn't run because it needed at least 350 kB free :(. I don't know how to check for boot programs and/or desk accessories. There isn't anything in any of the dropdown menus in TOS to show those AFAICT.

It might be best to buy/build one of these 4MB RAM expansions: https://github.com/agranlund/STRam.

If you have an AUTO folder in C:\AUTO or A:\AUTO, anything in there will execute at boot.  If it is a TSR type program (stays in memory to provide some service) --  those are the ones you may want to try removing to free up more RAM

Desk accessories end in *.ACC in your C:\  or A:\ top level directory.  If present, they will load and will show up under the "Desk" menu in the top left of the ST screen.   If there's nothing under that menu, then you don't have any.