IGNORED

Deleting Atari OS

Well, I've got mine upgraded and Linux booting of the M.2; but still have zero interest in Atari OS after fiddling with it for a few days.   Reclaiming the 32GB isn't essential, but I may want to experiment with other os's (Chrome OS flex, Batocera, and what not).

With no Atari OS, do you think it'd be likely a future BIOS update could be installed via a USB recovery or would I just be screwed (or jump thru hoops restoring the Atari OS every-single-time)?

• Confused 1

If m.2 is your default, will it ever even boot into Atari OS unless you switch the boot order?

My instinct is to just ignore Atari OS,  but keep it there just in case you need it for upgrades

if you want space to experiment with other OSes, you could always partition some space on your m.2 for that purpose or boot them from external drive

• Like 1

Also, take note that you could potentially have Steam running on Linux, and still add the free games that came with AtariOS (as I believe the Vault version is tweaked to support the new joystick?) As non-Steam games. 

Wonder if anyone has bothered doing that yet.  I tested copying a game off of it and played on my desktop, so that works.  I don't know why mounting it from the internal OS wouldn't work the same way.

7 hours ago, zzip said:

If m.2 is your default, will it ever even boot into Atari OS unless you switch the boot order?

My instinct is to just ignore Atari OS,  but keep it there just in case you need it for upgrades

if you want space to experiment with other OSes, you could always partition some space on your m.2 for that purpose or boot them from external drive

That's the way I'm currently leaning ... just trying to talk myself out of it ?