IGNORED

Power Converter Needed for JPN Computers in the US?

I have a JPN MSX 2+ computer that I've been using in the US by directly plugging it into the wall.  I know a lot of people do this since the voltages are close (100v vs 120v) but I worry about the long term health of my system.  I've never seen any glitches or issues and it's been freshly recapped, but I don't want to shorten the lifespan of it.  Is a step down/step up converter needed?  If so, is there a cheaper one that works well?  I see some semi-professional ones but I don't really want to pay $100+ for a converter.

I had one Japanese import device that I was told it's safe to use in a US outlet, and I used it without issue.   But I suppose it depends on individual devices and how much tolerance of voltage is built into their design.   

Do you know if the power supply produces the correct output voltage in spite of the higher voltage of the US power system?   If so then the computer itself is protected and possibly only the power supply is at risk

The power supply is inside the computer itself, there is no wart.  

I've had running 8+ hours at the VCF and MGC before so you'd think it would have burnt out already if that was going to be a problem, but you never know.

https://www.msx.org/forum/msx-talk/general-discussion/100v-japanese-to-us

If I was you I'd probably get one of the ones they recommend (30-50 USD).

I'd been mulling this over some time ago when buying my MSX2. Here in Poland it's a must (we have  240V) but I couldn't see any going down to 100V. Eventually I got a reasonably cheap-but-solid (~30 USD) 110V stepdown converter, because the "proper" ones from Japan were a bit more expensive here (about 70USD). It's been working okay now for several months, and I also got bunch of JP consoles hooked to it.

But I think the question of burning/blowing ( funnily enough, the converter's name, har har) only applies to the really cheap, closed-plastic design converters. For the other ones it's all about the "lifespan shortening". Now, I read a ton of threads about but couldn't see a conclusive opinion. It's mostly "well, it might shorten the lifespan..."...but what the scale is or if it's really the case is anybody's guess. But that's regarding 110v, perhaps 120v is more dangerous.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I recently purchased a Sony HB-F1XV MSX2+ and have no plans to use any type of converter. 20 volts is a pretty minimal difference. I haven't had any issues with my PC Engine Duo, either (though that is of the wall wart variety). Any idea if the MSX2+ computers have voltage regulators? I know many computers and video game consoles of the era do, which would further provide support for using your wall outlet without consequence. 

Step up/down converters are cheap enough at around $50. I wouldn't continue to run a 100v PSU in a 110/120v outlet. And I am not just talking smack. I destroyed a really nice PC Engine using the stock 100v Japanese PSU with it some years ago. It worked fine for like two years, and one day.....

Yeah, get a converter.

2 hours ago, eightbit said:

Step up/down converters are cheap enough at around $50. I wouldn't continue to run a 100v PSU in a 110/120v outlet. And I am not just talking smack. I destroyed a really nice PC Engine using the stock 100v Japanese PSU with it some years ago. It worked fine for like two years, and one day.....

Yeah, get a converter.

What happened to your PCE exactly? You were able to attribute its failure directly on the 10-20V power differential? 

5 hours ago, sixersfan105 said:

What happened to your PCE exactly? You were able to attribute its failure directly on the 10-20V power differential? 

Yeah, it stopped reading PC Engine HuCards and my Turbo Everdrive stopped working as well. The TBED was sent to Krikzz for analysis and the very first thing he asked was if the original 100v power supply was being used on USA voltage. He said it was the cause of the damage to the console AND damage to the TBED. He was nice enough to replace the TBED regardless, and I ended up replacing the PC Engine. I then purchased a power supply that was 120v compatible and I never had a problem again.

Ever since I have never used a 100v Japanese power supply on any console. 

In this case since the MSX2 PSU is integrated it's not that simple, so a step up converter is necessary. 

Bottom line is, will 100v power supply "work"? Yeah...but do not think that the difference between the voltages is just "too small" to worry about it. And, that is a pretty hard to obtain system for us in the USA. Why insert any risk of damage when you don't have to. At least that is my take.

Edited by eightbit
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, eightbit said:

Yeah, get a converter.

Is there a specific cheap one you recommend?

8 minutes ago, Tempest said:

Is there a specific cheap one you recommend?

I would image something like this would be just fine:

https://www.amazon.com/Simran-SM200J-100-volt-120-volt-Transformer/dp/B00F3WRIW8?th=1

Or this one (which I would prefer since it is shipped and sold by Amazon...hassle free returns if there is an issue and it is prime):

https://www.amazon.com/VCT-VT-500J-Japanese-Transformer-Converts/dp/B000PC4JL4/ref=pd_lpo_1?pd_rd_i=B000PC4JL4&th=1

Edited by eightbit

9 minutes ago, Tempest said:

Does it need to be 500W?  Will the 200W version work?

For the MSX both are overkill. The MSX (IIRC) draws 17.5W. So, you can even go with the 100W model if you only intend to use the MSX in it. People are using Wii U's and rice cookers on that 500W model :)

Me personally however I would go with the 500W model only because you never know if one day you might need the extra power for something. But, no, not necessary for just the MSX. 

Worth noting the difference in price between the 100W and 200W model is only three bucks, but is certainly is a space saver:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QFFN284/ref=twister_B01K1M6OTM?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by eightbit

2 minutes ago, eightbit said:

For the MSX both are overkill. The MSX (IIRC) draws 17.5W. So, you can even go with the 100W model if you only intend to use the MSX in it.

I might just do that.  The only other Japanese computer/system I could ever see myself getting is a X68000 but if I ever manage to luck into one of those one I'd probably just get it its own adapter anyway.  It's interesting that the 100W version doesn't have a power switch, it's just a wart.

The plug looks kind of odd though.  I've never really seen Japanese style plugs before.  The one on the MSX looks like your standard old-fashioned US flat two prong plug.  I guess the converter also allows for a round looking plug? 

3 minutes ago, Tempest said:

The plug looks kind of odd though.  I've never really seen Japanese style plugs before.  The one on the MSX looks like your standard old-fashioned US flat two prong plug.  I guess the converter also allows for a round looking plug? 

Correct. The round type is used in some parts of Asia.

Edited by eightbit

• 1 month later...

I wound up heeding @eightbit's advice and bought a JPN to US voltage converter, a 100W unit to save space, very similar to the 100W offering that was posted above but $1 cheaper (every little bit counts). Seems to work as it should but I don't have a voltmeter to test it. Regardless, hopefully I'll get more years outta my MSX2+ computer now than I would have without one of these converters. Cheers.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sixersfan105 said:

I wound up heeding @eightbit's advice and bought a JPN to US voltage converter, a 100W unit to save space, very similar to the 100W offering that was posted above but $1 cheaper (every little bit counts). Seems to work as it should but I don't have a voltmeter to test it. Regardless, hopefully I'll get more years outta my MSX2+ computer now than I would have without one of these converters. Cheers.

The one you linked is a step DOWN converter for using 120V USA items in Japan and does not appear to step UP. I am hoping you just linked wrong and instead purchased a step UP converter that takes 100V Japanese power to 120V USA power ;) 

Edited by eightbit

16 hours ago, eightbit said:

The one you linked is a step DOWN converter for using 120V USA items in Japan and does not appear to step UP. I am hoping you just linked wrong and instead purchased a step UP converter that takes 100V Japanese power to 120V USA power ;) 

I agree that the listing title is confusing/misleading but the product itself is identical to the 100-watt device that you linked earlier in the thread, just a different brand (though I actually think Simran and VCT are sister companies). The listing description does specifically state it's "for using Japanese products in the USA." Here's a picture of my unit. The "wall wart" side (not pictured) is the "input" and the "output" is the Japanese device that you plug into the front (the gray plug in my picture). So it's converting 120V to 100V to be used by my Sony MSX2+ computer. All good!

IMG_5794.jpg

• Like 1