IGNORED

Wabbit's Author Rediscovered: Meet Van Mai

ubersaurus

I'm incredibly excited to share with you all a story I've been working on with Kate Willaert for a few months now. Meet Van Mai (formerly Van Tran), the woman who wrote Wabbit for Apollo before going to MicroGraphic Image to develop their unreleased Solar Fox 5200 conversion! Her career in games was short, but I'm really thrilled that her story is out there.

https://gamehistory.org/wabbit/

• Like 16
  • Thanks 6

7 minutes ago, Tempest said:

Wow, great job!  Nice interview. 

Do you know what game Van was working on after Wabbit?  Was it possibly Pompeii or Squoosh?

I ran both of those by her and she didn't recognize either of them, so I'm guessing it was either something unrelated or she really just didn't remember the details. That thought had occurred to me!

• Like 4

6 hours ago, ubersaurus said:

I ran both of those by her and she didn't recognize either of them, so I'm guessing it was either something unrelated or she really just didn't remember the details. That thought had occurred to me!

Did you ask if it was Kyphus?

Very interesting story and interview, thanks to all involved.  While reading the article, and watch footage, I realized that I know little about Apollo games and I don't believe I ever got to play Wabbit.  The game looks well programmed with nice art in my opinion. 

• Like 1

Thank you for helping to make this happen! It's a great contribution to video game history.

I didn't realize there was an AA connection to this story; she mentions in the article an interest in maybe making a new game someday, but some reluctance to have to learn the new tools. Were you able to tell her that she kind of doesn't have to? She can take whatever knowledge she remembers, re-learn the rest, and make an indie/homebrew game that could even play on old and new hardware. 

• Like 2

On 5/14/2022 at 7:37 PM, Tempest said:

Out of curiosity does she know why the game freaks out at the higher levels?  Eventually the round never ends and you're stuck.

It didn't come up in our conversation, I never made it far enough to experience it ahead of our interview! I can probably run it by her whenever I reach out next but I couldn't say how much she'd remember of that specific item.

I personally would love to see her do another game, whether it's on the 2600 or something else. Maybe all the positive attention her story's getting will convince her to give it a shot!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...