IGNORED

Atari/Legends Flashback Expansion Builds

Hey there @Gamer2020!  I have sure never tried.  @rmr_md was the one who figure out the overclock and by studying what he did I was able to do something similar for the Atari flashbacks.  When I tried anything above 1.2Ghz it was a no-go, and I feel like I saw some comments from way back in early days that 1.2Ghz was chosen because it was pretty stable.  FWIW it seems like most of these have no trouble with 1.2Ghz, but occasionally someone reports instability even at that, which is I assume down to variation in what the individual processors tolerate - and hence the stock clock rate is a sort of least common denominator.  But that may also mean some few could do 1.5Ghz?  I also always wondered if I had used a 2Amp supply (very sure I was using a 1Amp at the time) if I would have had different results.  It's not such an easy experiment, because if it goes wrong it's a sort of major reflash chore, and not sure I even remember how anymore!

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/5/2023 at 10:31 PM, rocketfan said:

Hey there @Gamer2020!  I have sure never tried.  @rmr_md was the one who figure out the overclock and by studying what he did I was able to do something similar for the Atari flashbacks.  When I tried anything above 1.2Ghz it was a no-go, and I feel like I saw some comments from way back in early days that 1.2Ghz was chosen because it was pretty stable.  FWIW it seems like most of these have no trouble with 1.2Ghz, but occasionally someone reports instability even at that, which is I assume down to variation in what the individual processors tolerate - and hence the stock clock rate is a sort of least common denominator.  But that may also mean some few could do 1.5Ghz?  I also always wondered if I had used a 2Amp supply (very sure I was using a 1Amp at the time) if I would have had different results.  It's not such an easy experiment, because if it goes wrong it's a sort of major reflash chore, and not sure I even remember how anymore!

Thanks for the response! Im not as technical as most but with patience most of the time I can get it to work I appreciate everything that was done for these systems it definitely makes them way more useful! I tried a 5 volt 2 amp power supply and so far it didn't make any difference in performance I noticed two updates for the legends on archive what's different between them?

On 5/23/2023 at 8:39 AM, Gamer2020 said:

I noticed two updates for the legends on archive what's different between them?

There are two - one from May last year and one from December.  The December one adds some updates, here is the text copied from last year's post on what changed:

• Added a firmware folder with the firmware backup and additional detailed instructions.
  • Added a Jump n' Bump section with levels for the jumping bunnies game.  This is a two-player game.
  • Added many Capcm arcade games with box art, thanks to a helpful AtariAge contributer! 🙂  These games are larger and can take quite a while to load from an SD, so wait patiently (20 or 30 seconds I think) while they start.  There are over 500 arcade entries now, and this dramatically increases the "better games" content on the device.  I'm not sure they all play at full speed, but several I tried do.
  • Enabled bezels for A26 section.

• 4 months later...

Hi, I'm back again for my yearly check-in, and I'm wondering a few things.

What is the most recent NEXUS version for FB9Gold? And has it added any more 2600 homebrews recently? I think the one I have installed is probably about 3 years old, and after seeing a recent review, I discovered that a kind of neat homebrew from around 2010 that still has the rom available on the forum isn't in the homebrews section on my version, and I was wondering if it ever got added (L.E.M., Lunar Emulation Model or something like that.)

What do I need to know (since in that last three years I've forgotten just about everything I learned when I originally added this to my SD card) to do any updates, since I currently have a working NEXUS install?

And every time I try to play any actual arcade games, and try to move my joystick at all, it pulls up the MAME escape menu, so what have I broken, and how might I be able to fix it? I didn't remember what I had to do to add coins, so ended up just trying things at random, and I expect somehow in the process I broke things. Sigh.

Hoping this project is still around somewhere, even if not on here.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey @Batchman sorry for the belated reply, I haven't been checking in much lately!  I guess something went wrong with the your mame control mapping.  At some point I should add some of the more recent homebrews for sure.   However - LEM did get added at some point by our old friend Mr. D. 

Your AFB9 should be able to run the "slim" or the "pure" versions which are out on archive.org.  Search on "atari flashback nexus" on archive.  Those are from last year sometime.  

I'd suggest to just download copy one of those in it's entirety onto the root of a new SD card, and leave your old one alone (just in case).  Those builds are newer, with maybe a tweak of improvement here or there, but most of the non-game content is gone (no karaoke, no movies), and the slim version has only Atari games.

My attention has been elsewhere, but if there is any interest, maybe I'll do a small update around Christmas.  I should have some time and at very least I would like to add a Watara Supervision section with the 1 button games. 

LEM.a26.png

• Like 1

Well, these Flashback devices still have certain advantages in presentation of the games, but the new kids on the block aka the 2600+ and the Atari Game Station Pro are stealing all the thunder.  Finally the flashbacks have been available, but they seem like old news by comparison. 

The Game station looks to do a nice job in terms of representing a wide array of Atari content, and especially by including 5200 and 7800 support.  Out of the box it has the extra buttons needed, but they are not arranged in a very ergonomic way.  It also does support modern controllers.  Either way - it solves the old issue for these flashbacks with the 7800 2 button games.

The 2600+ seems like the ticket if you have a cart collection and/or want to be legit and support Atari releasing carts in the future.  They are selling new paddles at a reasonable price which is awesome.  Hopefully they will sell some kind of new 7800 2-button controllers also!

Too many choices, but it is a good time to be an Atari fan.

• Like 1

Good to hear from you! For the moment, I'm sticking with the Flashback. But that's mainly waiting for the Atari+ release. If they get the paddle controls right, so that the paddles work well with the games (say, very close to how the originals did) then I'll be very glad to purchase one of the new ones ... though since I no longer have any of my old carts, I have to hope there will be some was to use the old roms with it, as well.

As for the Nexus builds, to be honest, I was only interested in the game stuff ... on the other hand, I liked the -idea- of being able to play one button games from other systems and even arcade games, but it didn't always work out perfectly. To be honest, I wish Atari well, and I hope they are successful, but while I may be able to afford the 2600+, and maybe even the paddles if they work well enough and are sturdy and likely to last, I won't be able to afford to regularly buy new games. My funds are too limited. (The combined joys/sorrows of being a kid who didn't have to pay bills, but also didn't have as many ways to raise money to buy new games ... memories!)

It's kind of odd ... I would expect to have a lot more interest in seeing what the systems I never managed to buy or play would do, but I'm far more interested in playing with the systems I actually had back in the day. (2600 and NES.) I bought an Intellivision II once, but almost immediately loaned it to a friend who had it confiscated because they thought he'd stolen it from somewhere. And I may have bought a used SMS a few years after it's hey day, but I think I only had a single game for it ... but the only reason I wanted it was to play Sonic, so the one game might have been all right.

[edit]May have to buy another SD card, and hunt down the latest pure version... ok, I guess the pure is the Atari only, the slim is the many systems included, but the movies, etc removed.[/edit]

Edited by Batchman

I have a question. Is it possible to take the Jaguar games from the Nexus build and add them to the Legends Ultimate build? i ask this as on the Nexus build they are just too slow to even try playing, since the Flashback 9 isn't overclocked. Since the Legend Ultimate overclocks the Legend Flashback I'm thinking they would be easier to play on there.

So since I'm going to need to buy a new SD card anyway, may as well make sure I get one that is good enough. And big enough. @rocketfan, you're the one who is going to be updating it (the package at internet archive, not my specific card), any recommendations on minimum card size? (And do you figure a SanDisk Ultra Class 10 USH-1 should be high enough quality?) Any harm to having a card that is too large? Because from what I am seeing, the price is the same at this level for 4, 8, 16, or 32 GB, so I might as well go larger in case it is ever needed in the future.

[Edit]By the way, I have downloaded the 1.5.1 Slim, for immediate. I *think* my current version is the 1.0.1, and I'll be looking forward to the hopeful Christmas upgrade you mentioned![/edit]

Edited by Batchman

So here's a (possibly interesting) question ... we can access USB thumb drives on a Flashback X, using a splitter cable, right? Can the same thing be done on the Flashback 9? That's not the really important question, but it's kind of a place to build from on the really important question. If you can use a splitter to allow you to plug in a thumb drive, you can use a splitter to plug in a USB controller. It might not be usable without software to read it, but obviously it can be plugged in.

So here's one of my questions. This project has been including more and more systems, but only looking for the games that only need a joystick and one button. But if we could plug in other controllers (non-Atari 9 pin controllers) it would allow playing many other games for all the consoles already being supported. I mean, there are NES, SNES and Genesis-style USB controllers out there. I cannot say with certainty that there are USB paddle-like controllers or something approximating a 7800 or Intellivision, but it might be possible there are. And I know we're using modules or cores from a more expansive retrogaming program or platform that almost by definition has to be able to handle a variety of controller options ... how impossible would it be to expand to using an additional controller to handle more games on some of the other systems? Please don't hate me for asking the question ... I ask because I have NO IDEA how difficult, or alternately easy, such a thing might be.

But I have limited space, limited money, and would love to be able to do more with a single system that has both A) a semi-classic look to it, and B) a not huge amount of hassle to access. I'd absolutely LOVE to be able to plug in my (already owned) NES or Genesis USB controller, and play almost all the games available on those systems, rather than just the one button games. I also love the idea of a way to find a good paddle solution from 2600 games, and hold out hope that maybe somewhere there is a more suitable USB paddle that would work better than what AtGames has done, or that GamePro has done -so far-. Or the 2600+ when it's readily available.

And for the next update of the NEXUS build, if it doesn't have it already, is it possible to add the latest version Stella core? I understand most the games are played with a much earlier Stella core, but some of the most recent homebrews require the most up-to-date versions (I've heard 6.7 instead of 6.6 or something, and I don't know how recent the more advanced one in NEXUS for the games that need it are.) And possibly a guide somewhere for adding more roms manually. If I ever get far enough out of the hole I'm in, I might actually buy a rom or two of some of the absolute latest and greatest homebrews.

And in an off-topic, but vaguely related question ... anyone know if there are any projects like this one for the various Retron systems, allowing them to do more systems, and use all the roms for the systems they do/might support? I mean, a Retron 1 (I think) plays something like 7 systems, and supports 3 different controller plugs (isn't a 9 pin Atari-type plug one of them, because the Sega uses it?) If there is a community build that supports roms, and adds more systems, it might be a pretty good option, too. (Funny thing is, I'm not interested in it for the carts, because I don't have any of my carts anymore, anyway, but for the more controllers it might be able to support. So on this question, does anyone know if such community builds exist anywhere and can point me to them.

I'll shut up now. I've blathered on for more than long enough.

Um ... and now I am confused.

I spent a good portion of today installing the Slim 1.5.1 version on my Flashback, and then promptly had a hard time finding the other game systems ... I hadn't realized they were stored under the Flashback Deluxe menu. But when I did find them, I then tried to load and play Sonic on both the SMS and the Genesis sytems, and on neither one could I get the game to actually play. It would load, and show the attract mode, but it wouldn't actually play. If I hit the start button, it would move on to the next attract mode level, but at no time would it actually allow me to play the game. I even switched from the wireless to wired controller, in case that was causing a problem, and nothing.

Is there something I don't know / am not remembering? Or anyone have any idea what I might be doing wrong?

@Batchman not sure I can help with the AFB 9 / X / 50th and getting games other than 1-button games to work on them. I believe that one user created a thread about a custom controller that they built to work on the AFB, that used impossible joystick combinations as additional button inputs. For my AFB X, I only installed the emulation cores for a2600, a800, a5200, etc. that were 1-button systems.

For other consoles, I got a Flashback Legends which has a clone Genesis 6-button controller. 
Legends-Flashback-BOOM-HDMI-Game-Console

On 11/2/2023 at 3:50 PM, Batchman said:

So here's a (possibly interesting) question ... we can access USB thumb drives on a Flashback X, using a splitter cable, right? Can the same thing be done on the Flashback 9? That's not the really important question, but it's kind of a place to build from on the really important question. If you can use a splitter to allow you to plug in a thumb drive, you can use a splitter to plug in a USB controller. It might not be usable without software to read it, but obviously it can be plugged in.

Although I really only use and play the AFB 9 Gold from the Flashback line, I haven't thought about this in a while.  But what I think I remember is that the USB data lines are not connected on the circuit boards for this generation of hardware (for AFB X/50th they are obviously).  So no, USB OTG splitter won't work, or at least not without some hardware modification and probably a software update. 

If you want a retail mini console as an all-in-one that is easy to mod and can play just about anything I believe the PlayStation Classic is still the one to beat.  Relatively powerful, trivial to mod (Youtube is your friend) and can easily play anything from 8 or 16-bit era.  And they're still available new or used for okay prices vs some of the other minis.  I have several mini consoles, each curated to do its thing well, but really the PS Classic can probably just do it all.

For paddles the only solutions besides original consoles that work well are USB adapters (Stelladapter) that convert original paddles to USB and work pretty nicely with modern versions of Stella.  Hopefully the 2600+ will also work well, but the paddle experience on the Flashback units has never been much more than janky and poor.  Even though their reproduction paddles they release with some of these consoles are mostly just fine.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

Although I really only use and play the AFB 9 Gold from the Flashback line, I haven't thought about this in a while.  But what I think I remember is that the USB data lines are not connected on the circuit boards for this generation of hardware (for AFB X/50th they are obviously).  So no, USB OTG splitter won't work, or at least not without some hardware modification and probably a software update.

Rats ... well, it was worth hoping for.

May have to look into the PS Classic ... I don't know if that was a retro version of a PlayStation or an original PlayStation, or something else entirely, since I never actually have even touched a PlayStation. (There may or may not be any truth to my usual excuse of I fear they've traded actual fun game-play for graphics ... since I've never actually ever tried one, I can't actually say that for sure, but it kind of -looks- like it to me, when I look at much of what I see as far as pictures or videos of things beyond the first three or four Nintendos and Segas.

But I find that it is often best playing a system's games with that system's controls (might be nothing more than muscle memory or something), which is why I'd kind of love to get something where I could hook up a wide variety of controls to it ... which is why I was wondering about community builds on something like a Retron 5, which supports three or four different types of controller plugs.

10 hours ago, Batchman said:

May have to look into the PS Classic ... I don't know if that was a retro version of a PlayStation or an original PlayStation, or something else entirely, since I never actually have even touched a PlayStation. (There may or may not be any truth to my usual excuse of I fear they've traded actual fun game-play for graphics ... since I've never actually ever tried one, I can't actually say that for sure, but it kind of -looks- like it to me, when I look at much of what I see as far as pictures or videos of things beyond the first three or four Nintendos and Segas.

But I find that it is often best playing a system's games with that system's controls (might be nothing more than muscle memory or something), which is why I'd kind of love to get something where I could hook up a wide variety of controls to it ... which is why I was wondering about community builds on something like a Retron 5, which supports three or four different types of controller plugs.

PS Classic is a retro mini console that came out in 2018.  It has a shell to look like an original 1994 PlayStation, but inside is a quad-core Arm A35 SoC at 1.5GHz, Power VR GPU with HDMI, and 1GB DDR3 memory, making it relatively beefy hardware compared to an Atari Flashback, the NES Classic or Genesis/MegaDrive mini consoles.  The built-in software and original game selection was considered relatively poor, but it can be modded from an attached thumb drive to run things like EmulationStation or Retroarch and play whatever 3rd or 4th generation consoles you want.  It includes original PS-style controllers, but the controller ports are USB and the modded system has wide controller compatibility, including Xbox 360/One, PS 3/4, most 8bitdo wireless and many popular or even generic USB controllers.  Usually its just a matter of needing to configure or map the controller the buttons. 

I myself have no nostalgia for the PlayStation.  Never owned one, but I lived through that era of early 3D gaming mostly on the PC and N64.  Frankly it hasn't always aged that well, whereas 8/16-bit graphics are timeless, although there are ways to enhance and smooth the early 3D stuff.  Anyway, what I'm saying is you can ignore the PlayStation stuff if that doesn't interest you and just setup the systems you do want to play.  I'm not saying it will be completely without issues, and will require a bit of setup and investigation on your part, but community developers have really made it pretty easy.  There are other options of course, but you will get a lot more mileage out of a PS Classic as a general multi-console emulation box than you would with an old AFB 9.  I have the AFB 9 Gold and I play it, but really only for the subset of 2600 games I enjoy playing.  It has a nice interface for that and I like the wireless joysticks.  But in spite of Nexus impressive accomplishments the AFB is not my goto for anything else.  Adding the one-button games from other systems and Atari consoles kinda made sense, but that is about the limit of what you can realistically do with it.

And having said all that, obviously we're in a thread ostensibly about the Legends Flashback as well, which is another option as they still show up reasonably priced.  It may not be quite as flexible as the PS Classic but might prove easier to setup and get you close enough to what you want to do.  You'll have to do your homework about each.

Edited by Brad_from_the_80s

Actually, I had limited systems. Had an Atari 2600, an Intellivision 2 (for a -very- short time,) an NES, and eventually one of the early Segas, though I'm not all that sure which one. Now I'm starting to think I'd love to see what I missed out on, after those, so maybe a PS Classic with a nice community build would be prefect for exploring the next two or three generations after that. Then just have to start figuring out where to find the builds.

@Batchman Maybe you ordered something by now, but I have used these with good results, and only $5.50 each when you buy two!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K82GRDV/ref=twister_B07K7ZZJ21

IIRC 32 GB is the largest you can use, and indeed it looks like smaller ones are basically the same price so might as well max it out at 32Gb.  A a SanDisk Ultra Class 10 USH-1 is probably higher quality yet, and would be even better.  I think all those "modern" versions are fast enough.

Better controller support on the Atari flashbacks is a long story but these were really built for handling 9-pin old school controllers and hardwired in a way that's tough to work around.

On doing for emulation on a budget:

So far you are not going to find "One system to rule them all".  Especially if you want Atari Paddle support - it's not easy to recreate the paddle experience.  For me, that's one reason the commercial "flashback type" devices are more attractive for Atari than something "roll your own" like a raspberry pi would be.  I also like the nostalgia of an "Atari look" to the device!

The approach @CapitanClassic has taken is literally the most cost effective for the 16 bit era.  Meaning, keep your Atari Flashback and go with something with better controller support for literally anything else.  You can still get those legends flash units for $20 or so on Shopgoodwill from time to time.  You have to watch the shipping on that site, because some of the goodwill stores will kill you with shipping and handling.  I found if you buy from someplace closer to you the shipping can be reasonable though.  With the 6 button Sega controller the Legends Flashback can play a ton of content.

I don't remember any hacks to allow the Retron 77 to expand past Atari 2600.  It seems very doable though and I think they built an entire OS for it, so adding other emulators would be possible.  I read it can support USB controllers, but that requires the same type USB splitter as on a the Atari Flashback 10, 11, (and now 12).  I feel like this device is going to go by the wayside vs. the 2600+ though.

If you are looking for one system you can use multiple ways, you might consider the MyArcade Atari GameStation.  They have been $80 at Costco.  The controllers have multiple buttons (but are placed kind of awkward) or you can hook up an x-box style controller and they play a few other kinds of ROMs I think NES and Sega Genesis.  You can drop ROMs on the GameStation by micro-SD, but unless someone makes custom firmware it's very basic as a text list of games so a step back from what you are used to with Nexus builds.  These have a little paddle knob which is OK, and for the person who wants to revisit Atari games and maybe a few favorite NES titles, these are pretty darn good systems.  Anybody who grew up on Atari as their first love would probably rather have "real" controllers and paddles.

The Chinese handhelds are becoming amazing, but are no longer really "Cheap Chinese Handhelds".  They are small and can do a lot though and many of them can hook to a TV and connect USB controllers.  Anbernic is coming out with one called the RG-ARC-S which looks like a sega controller with a screen - cool!  Once again though, your Atari experience is going to be second rate vs. what you already have going on a flashback.  

Edited by rocketfan

On 10/26/2023 at 10:18 AM, magnusfalkirk said:

Is it possible to take the Jaguar games from the Nexus build and add them to the Legends Ultimate build? i ask this as on the Nexus build they are just too slow to even try playing, since the Flashback 9 isn't overclocked.

Sorry - these systems including the Legends Flashback (even overclocked) aren't really able to play Jaguar games.  We later removed those games from the build for that reason.  That Jaguar emulator (virtualJaguar) was slow even on MUCH better hardware.  The best way to play Jaguar at this point is on a PC with the BigPEmu emulator.  There may eventually be a standalone version of that emulator for Linux or even better, a Retroarch core based on BigPEMU.  Either of those would allow emulation devices with more power to have good Jaguar support.   

Edited by rocketfan

On 11/13/2023 at 10:26 PM, rocketfan said:

@Batchman Maybe you ordered something by now, but I have used these with good results, and only $5.50 each when you buy two!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K82GRDV/ref=twister_B07K7ZZJ21

IIRC 32 GB is the largest you can use, and indeed it looks like smaller ones are basically the same price so might as well max it out at 32Gb.  A a SanDisk Ultra Class 10 USH-1 is probably higher quality yet, and would be even better.  I think all those "modern" versions are fast enough.

Found a halfway decent deal on two 16 GB cards, SanDisk Extreme U3 C10, though I think I paid $8 each for them. Should do the job, even if they are a bit overkill.

So AFAIK there is still no real good paddle solution except an original 2600,and then you have to find a way to hook them up to a modern TV. The last I heard on the Flashbacks was a firmware update which improved them, but had this odd thing where the farther you turned them, the greater (or lesser) the affect they had, which still is nowhere near 100%. I still hope for the 2600+, but while some people have got them and tested them, I have not yet heard anyone say the paddles are just like the original -or- that the paddles fail. Which is one of the two most important questions for me. (The other being has it been hacked yet to add roms, so I can get all my paddle games on there.)

Have decided to just use my flashback for Atari, and (for the moment) hope paddles work eventually, with a back-up option of the 2600+ if I ever hear how well the paddles work on it. For most other systems, I just ordered a PS Classic, 256gb drive, and powered USB hub (because rumor is the Classic doesn't provide enough power for large 3.x USB drives.) Now I just have to find what the best build is for it. Anyone reading here who wants to suggest one, suggestions are welcome. Also will have to try a couple of extra USB controllers to see if they will work. I have both an NES-style controller and a Genesis (I think) controller that I'd love to use for games for those systems.

Still looking forward to the wonderful Christmas present of an update for the NEXUS. (No pressure, but you mentioned it,and I want to make it clear it would be appreciated.)

Hi there,

I have a Legends Flashback 2019 (the one with 100 games) lying around and I originally intended to get a Nexus build for it.
Since it appears the full build is no longer available (for reasons already discussed), I wonder what is the best way to make the most out of this unit?

I know there was an unreleased CFW mentioned, some posts refer to the official update to be installed in order to be able to put games on a SD card, others say it should be avoided because it irreversibly swaps the A and B buttons in NES games.

I read a lot of posts, most of them regarding the 2018 variant that came with 50 games, though - but I'm a bit lost on determining what steps are indeed required on a stock unit and which builds are still available?

Any help welcome!

Well the good news for paddles is that John Hancock released a review of the 2600+ today indicating that paddles were pretty much perfect, so until I hear otherwise, 2600+ moves up a notch for possible solutions. The negative on that means either hunting down the paddle games, or still waiting until someone figures out a way to hack for adding roms. (And the non-use of Supercharger limits one paddle game unless roms.

@NOmi, NEXUS is still a pretty great option ... I think the only things that were removed was things like movies and tv commercials, and stuff like that. The games are still there. But since it was an Atari-based project, it was only games that needed one button, since that was what the Atari/Atari Flashback had.

Edited by Batchman
  • Thanks 1