IGNORED

I wanted to store my 5200 games in that atari 5200 storage compartment but,,,

johannesmutlu

I wanted to store some of my favorite atari 5200 games in that controller storage compartment to save on space and to justifie that storage compartment ,BUT guess what i can only store 1 5200 game in it,however atari 2600 and atari 7800 are 1/3th smaller but i could just store 5 of those games in it and still close down that door of it,if i only put 2 5200 games in it,i can no longer close down that door,wich will bring me to my question to atari,WHY did they had made their 5200 game cartrides so big??? What an misoppertunity because if those 5200 cartrides were just as small as atari 2600 cartrides,then i could,ve store 5 5200 games in it,

yes i know that storage compartment is ment for “dignifying peoples” who wants to store their controllers inside it,but i ask myself who ever wants to store thore most hated disfunctional controllers inside it,in fact i would,ve throwing them into the trash instead,damn atari damn you had to make those 5200 games just a bit smaller,ouch,

DA6486D5-74ED-447A-AF87-BF6FEB1FE119.jpeg

16E29C83-09BF-433B-BCB6-6043D19C09E8.jpeg

Um... I actually store a set of fully working 5200 controllers in mine so they are at the ready. Because I actually find that I tend to use the default controllers more than my 3rd party options for the games I tend to play on it most.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Um... I actually store a set of fully working 5200 controllers in mine so they are at the ready. Because I actually find that I tend to use the default controllers more than my 3rd party options for the games I tend to play on it most.

Same here.  I store a set of my Best Electronics fully refurbed CX52s in my 2 and 4 port consoles.  These controllers have worked well from day one and continue to do so.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Cafeman said:

Do you wrap the cable in a circle around the stick?

Only when sending a console back to a client that sent in their controllers. But on my actual console no...the cables are attached to the ports and slotted through the opening on the side.

• Like 2

Simple to explain. Just keep the controllers plugged in. There is a notch in the plastic on the sides right where the controller storage is located. The idea is that the controller sits in the storage, and the cable is ran back through the notch on the sides. This way the controllers stay connected and ready for use but also more or less out of site. Only the cables are seen externally at this point. Pretty sure that is why Atari put the notch there... I can't see any other reason unless it was for easy opening of the lid? But again, the side and location of the notches seem suited for the controller cable to pass through when not in use and keep it all self contained to the 5200 console.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Cafeman said:

Well now I have to dig out my 5200 and check out these notches. An undocumented feature? Because I never liked bending the short 5200 cables into a small circle over and over. 

Can't blame you there and I'm sure that exact thing is why many of the controllers suffer from bad cables with internal breaks in them. The wires are crazy thin in the controllers too. Guess they had to be with so many wires to contend with. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Can't blame you there and I'm sure that exact thing is why many of the controllers suffer from bad cables with internal breaks in them. The wires are crazy thin in the controllers too. Guess they had to be with so many wires to contend with. 

Ouch seriously, if those wires from those atari 5200 brake inside because of getting too much wired up andwrapped around,well i feel so sad about that,if people did only knew that there were notches at both sides of the console to avoid the need of wrapping around those wires on the controllers,we may wouldn’t have ended up with sooo many faulthy controllers,

i will never wiring those wires around controllers, instead i will carefully wrap around those wires with elastic to only use the lengt if the wire i need. 

1 hour ago, johannesmutlu said:

Ouch seriously, if those wires from those atari 5200 brake inside because of getting too much wired up andwrapped around,well i feel so sad about that,if people did only knew that there were notches at both sides of the console to avoid the need of wrapping around those wires on the controllers,we may wouldn’t have ended up with sooo many faulthy controllers,

i will never wiring those wires around controllers, instead i will carefully wrap around those wires with elastic to only use the lengt if the wire i need. 

I've had quite a few 5200 controllers come in for refurbishment and found that one or two wires within the cabling was obviously broken. Even my WICO keypad I have had a few broken wires in it and that wasn't even made by Atari. So yeah it can happen. It isn't nearly as common as the contacts getting corroded or internal breaks in the mylay flex inside the controllers, but it can and does happen. 

The atari 5200 deserved a second chance because it does have some awesome games on it including pac man,pole position and even some  nintendo ip’s such as mariobros and popeye etc,,, also it was very advanced for it’s time including a high colorpallet and a pokey soundchip and it also did had lots of rom and ram,heck even the later nes and atari 7800 were NOT in everyway more advanced for it’s time oh no ,if  atari did not gave up on their atari 5200 in 1984 and just continued on it with their 5200 jr and if coleco did had the courage to also port donkeykong & DK jr to the 5200,the stari 5200 might had a better chance against the nes ,if atari had delayed the 7800 system and just use the 5200 as a mid-range system,also atari could,ve tried to come up with an adaptor to make atari 400 games compatible on the 5200 by bringing those different adress registers and memory location from the atari 400 in line with that of the atari 5200 andline up those button layouts from atari 400 games in line with that of the atari 5200 controller,WHY because both the atari 400 and atari 5200 atari berally the same systems except that those memory locations and adress registers or different,BUT by implementing such chip wich could bring those memory locations and adress registers in line with each other to make those atari 400 games IN THEORY bridge compatible with the atari 5200 system and vice versa, not only that but it could,ve increased the library of games for the 5200 as well,

but even without it,it still does have AWESOME MUST HAVE games for it and am very happy to own a atari 5200 wich is the 2 controller port version with it’s standard rf and power in and outputs,

i can’t believe only 1 millions off them were sold,and why atari only released it in the us? That was the biggest mistake,they should,ve to release it world wide with their atari 5200 junior along with more nintendo ip’s trough coleco on it,because i GARANTEE that would,ve absolutely sold like hot cakes,and considering those games i own for it among others,i am sooo convinced now that many people do miss the whole point of the atari 5200, am i am alsooo glad that atari did not cancled their atari 5209 because ehile atari planned it first in 1979 but then they abadoned it and turned it into a hybrid computer,but once coleco arrived with their colecovision to compeat against the fake 16bit intelevision,atari soon realized that they had to compeat against them so they resurrected their abadoned 5200 project from 1979 and put new life into it and so the 5200 was born,now why did the 4 port model did use 1 wire for both power and rf signal and why it contained a controller storage compartment on it??? I guess that atari did this to account for dignifying people who probably did complain about cables and controllers laying across the floor but also to take their inspiration from both mattel & coleco in wich their consoles also does contain a controller storage compartment,but but both systems also does contain a nummeric keypad controller,why atari did otherwise implemented a nummeric keypad on their controllers?

either way the atari 5200 is an absolute must have cool looking appealing game console.

3EB9C8FA-2031-4CB6-83DC-DBFD2F8116DA.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/17/2022 at 5:06 AM, johannesmutlu said:

I wanted to store some of my favorite atari 5200 games in that controller storage compartment to save on space and to justifie that storage compartment ,BUT guess what i can only store 1 5200 game in it,however atari 2600 and atari 7800 are 1/3th smaller but i could just store 5 of those games in it and still close down that door of it,if i only put 2 5200 games in it,i can no longer close down that door,wich will bring me to my question to atari,WHY did they had made their 5200 game cartrides so big??? What an misoppertunity because if those 5200 cartrides were just as small as atari 2600 cartrides,then i could,ve store 5 5200 games in it,

yes i know that storage compartment is ment for “dignifying peoples” who wants to store their controllers inside it,but i ask myself who ever wants to store thore most hated disfunctional controllers inside it,in fact i would,ve throwing them into the trash instead,damn atari damn you had to make those 5200 games just a bit smaller,ouch,

DA6486D5-74ED-447A-AF87-BF6FEB1FE119.jpeg

16E29C83-09BF-433B-BCB6-6043D19C09E8.jpeg

I also store my upgrade 5200 joysticks in the compartment.  The compartment works great because it protects the sticks from sunlight and dust.  The 5200 is large like the cartridges. I love everything about the 5200.  It's one my favorite consoles of all time.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, phuzaxeman said:

I also store my upgrade 5200 joysticks in the compartment.  The compartment works great because it protects the sticks from sunlight and dust.  The 5200 is large like the cartridges. I love everything about the 5200.  It's one my favorite consoles of all time.

One of my favorites as well! Now I need to try the storage compartment. I always put my controller in a nearby drawer.

Big Sexy, my first...... my last. 

No other system can come close, and I had all 4 80s Atari systems and always went right back to my 5200 everytime. Her uniqueness (and her size,  but in a very sexy, futuristic form factor) made her stand out from the rest, and even though I also own a ColecoVision and a Flashback 9 my 5200 usually gets more play than the others. Even during my days of hosting The Atari Report, and to this day, I always went back home to her, hey she may not have thousands of titles (like the XEGS or 8-bit computer lineup) but she does have a great lineup of games that is ever expanding with every new controller and game coming out that was unimaginable 40 years ago.

The Atari 5200 SuperSystem, kickin' ass and takin' names since 1982. Almost 500 of the best titles and growing.

5 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

Don't ya think you'll someday have more than like 2 games?   If not,  You need to dream big,...Make some shelf space for future purchases!  Good Luck!

Maybe he might be in the market for an Atarimax SD cart someday, that and perhaps a preowned Redemption 5200 unit (sorry I only have one left for 7800 sticks and she's not for sale.) :(

32 minutes ago, MrTrust said:

2001 a space odyssey GIF

???

This is what I'm talking about to be more specific. Here my player 1 controller is stored in the manner I'm talking about and my player 2 controller is actually cord wrapped inside but very loose in this case. And only the cord wrapped around the joystick is mentioned in the manual for storage. The method with putting into the storage still connected to the ports isn't listed but I figure this has to be what the openings on the side are for? They are too far back to only be there to help you open the lid as they would be moved closer forward for that purpose.

5200_cntl_clsd.thumb.jpg.1dc86b666a1ee35802738bd222567a05.jpg

5200_cntl_cable_detail.thumb.jpg.8cc6d8bde8ccf043e8e50450861053bd.jpg

5200_cntl_open.thumb.jpg.1feb60adfd15cf559b456f7547940c78.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

The method with putting into the storage still connected to the ports isn't listed but I figure this has to be what the openings on the side are for?

Again. I never knew this or figured it out but it makes so much sense. And it is convenient to plop the plugged-in controller into the bay, rather than sit out on the floor, or wrap it all up each time. I never noticed that opening. This must be a Mandela Effect moment, somebodywent back in time and changed it. ;)