IGNORED

Is there anyone or any way to make a smaller working 5200 console???

BIGHMW

If there is someone out there (anyone) who will take my 5200 SuperSystem, and transfer all of her circuitry into a much smaller form factor, with full working 2-port, VCS adapter capability, and the standard RF and power supply outlets, like into a 3-D printed plastic box similar to what Retro Game Boyz uses for their brilliant joystick controllers for her, I would do it.

WE KNOW it's possible.

Please PM me with some quotes, I'll ship her out to whomever can and will do it for the best price. There are almost 500 good reasons why I chose my 5200 over the XEGS as my console of choice, the brilliant Keithen Hayenga port of Tempest, being the main one, something we now know will never be available for the XEGS as both he and his crew and @Albert and AA refuse to put one out for it. it's just though that the unit we all know and love as Big Sexy, needs a makeover, and I feel, on this, her 40th Anniversary (as well as this, today is my 56th Birthday), she could use a little Sonobello-style work on her.

The 2600 had one, it resulted in the 2600 Jr., as well as several clones of her from various companies, ColecoVision had the CollectorVision Phoenix done of her, the Atari 8-bit computers had several facelifts of their own, even Intellivision had two of them , the Intellivision II and the INTV Sysytem III, now, it's Big Sexy's turn!!!

• Sad 1

You do realize that do what you are asking would essentially require designing an entire new main board? If you haven't looked inside of the 5200, the actual main board is pretty much the same size as the case it sits in minus the extra inches on the back for the controller storage section. But the width of the console would be the same. Now I'm sure it is possible to create an all new main board that shrinks everything closer together and might even be able to upgrade some of it with more modern tech to save even more space, but the market for something like that just isn't there.

If you really want a smaller 5200, then just take a hacksaw to the case of your current one, cut off the very rear as a flat plate piece, and epoxy it to what is left and trim to fit because the width of the console isn't really going to be any smaller than we have now.

• Like 1

It's possible to make smaller handheld versions of some consoles, such as the Wii, by sawing off less necessary parts of the main board with a Dremel.

You might be able to do something similar with a 5200, although the much higher chip count and spread out nature of the board are going to limit the potential gains. Also, you'd have to chop up a working 5200 to do it and the preservation purists are going to hate you for it.

If you want a really compact 5200, you could use a Raspberry Pi and emulate it. Still, where's the fun in that?

Well OK, but why can't we just transfer the existing circuitry into a smaller box in which would not include that extra space for the controller storage, as NO, I AM NOT in favor of butchering the existing console, just in favor of taking the "guts" out of it, and putting those in a smaller form factor, the width we can deal with, it would be almost the same dimensions as my ColecoVision she sits next to, it's just that extra back space I am a bit disturbed about. I know I can play almost all of the 5200 ports nowadays (except for Super Breakout, Tempest, and the Mean Hamster Software titles) on an XEGS but prefer the 5200's controller form factor as opposed to the separate keyboard and controller you have to deal with on any 8-bit let alone the XEGS, much easier and all integrated in one unit.

as NO, I AM NOT in favor of butchering the existing console, just in favor of taking the "guts" out of it, and putting those in a smaller form factor,

I'll have to remember this defense in court.  " My client didn't intend to kill his girlfrield your honor, he only meant to rip her guts out so he could squeeze her into the trunk."

• Haha 6

18 hours ago, BIGHMW said:

Well OK, but why can't we just transfer the existing circuitry into a smaller box in which would not include that extra space for the controller storage, as NO, I AM NOT in favor of butchering the existing console, just in favor of taking the "guts" out of it, and putting those in a smaller form factor, the width we can deal with, it would be almost the same dimensions as my ColecoVision she sits next to, it's just that extra back space I am a bit disturbed about. I know I can play almost all of the 5200 ports nowadays (except for Super Breakout, Tempest, and the Mean Hamster Software titles) on an XEGS but prefer the 5200's controller form factor as opposed to the separate keyboard and controller you have to deal with on any 8-bit let alone the XEGS, much easier and all integrated in one unit.

For god's sake man.  Just get an 8-bit computer, stop asking for game ports, and stop asking for hardware transformation.  If you want small, buy a 576NUC+

• Like 1

On 5/20/2022 at 6:15 PM, Stephen said:

For god's sake man.  Just get an 8-bit computer, stop asking for game ports, and stop asking for hardware transformation.  If you want small, buy a 576NUC+

You made me think of perhaps re-acquiring both an XEGS and also a 7800 (and both of their multicarts) so I can get back into doing The Atari Report real soon, there are a ton of games I DO miss out on because of my stubbornness, so it may be just about time for me to do so, but until then enjoy my two new shows, details right here!!!

• Like 1