IGNORED

Four-port or Two-port: Which should I video mod?

thinkman808

I have both a four-port and a two-port 5200, and I'd like to get better video out of one of them. Any insight out there on which would be better to mod? I'm thinking of having a local shop do it for me, but wanted advice on if there's a benefit of choosing one or the other.

Thoughts?

Probably the 4port as the 4050 chip is most likely in a socket making it easier to do the AV install. I use the same install process regardless but then again, I remove the original sockets on 4port units because they are single wipe and not the best and solder the 4050 directly to the board. Then solder the UAV (Assuming you are using a UAV that is) to the top of the 4050 and run the wiring out for the AV connections there.

But either model will give you the same results.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Probably the 4port as the 4050 chip is most likely in a socket making it easier to do the AV install. I use the same install process regardless but then again, I remove the original sockets on 4port units because they are single wipe and not the best and solder the 4050 directly to the board. Then solder the UAV (Assuming you are using a UAV that is) to the top of the 4050 and run the wiring out for the AV connections there.

But either model will give you the same results.

Wouldn't this mean also power modding the 4 port?

28 minutes ago, VicViper said:

Wouldn't this mean also power modding the 4 port?

If that is wanted then you can. But power converting a 4-port isn't required for the AV upgrades. In fact I just did a power conversion mod on a 4-port that already had one of the LHE s-video upgrade boards installed. It was sent to me to fix some wiring issues that original upgrade had where wiring had come loose and to do a power conversion on it so the switch box wouldn't be required anymore.

But yes @VicViper you make a valid point in that someone doing this on a 4-port might very well want to power convert as well while in there. But again, that isn't required for an AV upgrade just more of a quality of life improvement for using a 4-port system.

I also advise that if you are doing anything on a 2-port version, that you get a 4-port BIOS and install it in place of the original 2-port so you don't have to worry about any game compatibility issues. 

It is also important to note that regardless of which model you have, current AV upgrades might disable the ability to use a VCS adapter and even if they don't the video from the VCS adapter isn't going to be going through the AV upgraded section so you would still need to use RF output most likely.

@thinkman808 I do not know anyone in the CA area personally that offers these services. But you could post something in the 'Wanted" section of the forums here at AA to see if someone can help you out. I'm happy to do it but I live in the central part of the US and shipping a 5200 is both tricky and not that cheap given the size. Although if you are willing to at least remove the 7 screws that hold the top shell in place and ship it without the top shell, that will save on shipping and provide a better chance of console not being damaged in shipping since the upper shell plastics tend to be the most brittle.