IGNORED

Consoles you REFUSE to collect

Big collectors still have to draw a line somewhere.  I want on know which platforms (console and computer) you/ve decided you will not collect.  Systems you may have owned and sold off, or never wanted in the first place, or satisfied through emulation.  I've not found a thread on this topic.

Omitting the really rare, I am interested in unique systems you know others collect but would be hesitant to add to your collection.  I've owned many of these systems and decided I no longer want to have them.  Systems I won't collect (in no order):

Jaguar

Virtual Boy

CD-i

RCA Studio II

Amiga

Game Gear

Game.com

Lnyx

Spectrum

APF MP1000

TRS 80

PET

Apple II

Xbox One

vtech educational systems

I know, I know: never say never.  But which platforms have you shunned and NEVER plan to collect?

Edited by jeff20
  • Like 1

I've always collected things that are new to me that seem interesting that are dirt cheap. I play with them and figure them out, then I store them for a while, while I decide if they are worth keeping.

Eventually, I choose to eliminate the big, heavy, least "interesting" (subjective, I know), especially if they are fragile or broken (and uninteresting to repair) or just stupid to keep for various reasons. I got rid of my laserdisc collection because they were heavy, and some were losing coherence, plus equivalent DVDs are available (dirt cheap now).

Similar mindset for most Saturn, Dreamcast, PS2, xbox games because I never played them and I could see they had drifted to the bottom of my "play it next" pile.

• Like 1

Shunned and never plan to?  Quite a few, but largely because I find the pre-Coleco/Famicom stuff a joke, too crude and needing more imagination that anyone should muster to get some solid justifiable level of pleasure out of the games.  I would probably exclude in that dating though Game & Watch and the Vectrex as that's interesting at least.

From the modern 8bit quality stuff (NES, Coleco, SMS) era forward I've only utterly shunned the screwball third party company try-hard stuff like 3DO, Jaguar, and others that clearly had little to no chance.  I also would now shun the CDi as they're a mix of overly painful to get the good stuff, but hardware is just kind of pissy.  But the only thing I've utterly avoided and refuse to ever touch, Microsoft consoles, screw them.  They bought their way in when doing good wasn't in the cards they wanted to play with, and they screwed us all ushering in paid multiplayer, paid online accounts in general, but worse opened the door to selling unfinished games, broken games, and microtransactions because of their hard drive/large storage others adopted in some form since.  MS idea of what was a good idea to really push for games were genres I was burned out on or largely had no love for, they were the anti-console as far as I was concerned so I stuck to Nintendo, Sony, and Sega.  I don't any more highly of the xbox line still, which is fine by me, given they seem to think less too putting all their IP on PC anyway now too.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, jeff20 said:

I've not found a thread on this topic.

In all the years I've been here I don't think I've seen one either. I've seen questions and other topics that would partly discuss this. But not directly.

I could answer the question by saying what I do collect for, and then exclude all others. That'd be Apple II, PC, TRS-80 Pocket Computers 1, 2, and 4. And some TI-59 stuffage. It's enough to keep me busy and rather sentimental.

I was big-time into everything from the early 70's fixed-function Pong/Tennis/Tank consoles all the way up to the SMS/NES years. And by everything I mean everything. Name it I had it. Eventually I stopped collecting because it was consuming way too much space and could potentially require spending hundreds or thousands of dollars a week. Sometimes I did. It was untenable long-term. Not to mention the time required to manage and maintain it all. It was overwhelming and the completionist attitude didn't help.

Today everything is much more reasonable with the 4 choices listed earlier. With the rest (what I had earlier) being covered by emulation.

I will also not touch games that have online/DRM requirements. Eventually those servers will go away. And unless pirates patch the stuff, it'll no longer be usable. So why bother?

• Like 1

I can't really remember what I read... about CD-i not really being a video game system at all,  but there were workarounds or something.  I really don't remember now, but it all sounded so perfectly insidious that I instantly thought,  Now there's one to stay away from!

Also Jaguar's too expensive (But I wouldn't mind otherwise)...

Neo-Geo's too expensive and has way too many fighters (But I wouldn't mind otherwise)...

5200's too big,  and that controller (But I wouldn't mind otherwise)...

And XBOX 360's?  2 out of 3 (Or was it 1 out of 3?  Either way) were failing off the line when they first released so....No!  Never!  Plus I've never seen a "must-have" game for one...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

And XBOX 360's?  2 out of 3 (Or was it 1 out of 3?  Either way) were failing off the line when they first released

I believe it was 54% reported failure rate, although I don't remember anything about the specifics of that number, like where it comes from or anything like that. I'll let someone who is less lazy than me figure it out~

• Like 2

I wouldn't say that there is any console or system that I 'refuse' to collect for. But there are systems I'm not likely to collect for given that I either don't have much interest in those systems or I feel that the price ranges are way outta my league. The Odyssey and O2 are systems I don't have much interest in owning or collecting for as an example. I don't see myself going out of my way to collect much for the 8-bit computer line either although I won't pass up stuff when I see it. I don't own any Amiga stuff and don't really see my ever getting in to that. The Neo-Geo is another console I don't see myself ever getting started with. 

Most of the handhelds I don't have much interest in with the exception of Lynx and Game Gear.

So yeah for me it isn't about 'refusing' to collect for them, it is more about whether I really have any desire to do so and I would say, I don't for several systems.

• Like 1

I'll pretty much collect anything...but some of those pre-Nintendo NES systems I just don't have any nostalgia for...like the Odyssey 2 or Intellivision or Fairchild Channel F. They are neat and I remember neighbors having them, but if it wasn't Atari 2600 and later C64, it wasn't my jam...and still isn't. 

• Like 2

Everything I didn’t own from the age of 6yo -15yo. I never really sold a game bitd, except in a few instances where I was able to get an insane amount of store credit towards the purchase of a new system. (I believe I did this for both a SNES and a PSX).

The collecting bug probably started after my parents were able to obtain nearly the entire mom-n-pop rental stores inventory of NES games for relatively cheap (rental cost at the time was $2 for a 2 day rental, and I think we offered $5-$7 a game for 70-100 games.). Before that point, we only had a massive collection of 2600 carts due to the crash, and lots of Atari 800 games due to a local BBS/computer club.

Later in life I worked at GameStop and similar stores and had the opportunity to get lots of used games on discount, or that the company no longer purchased. I acquired tons of new systems and games for VCS, Astrocade, Odyssey 2, Colecovision, SMS, Genesis, Sega CD, 32x, SNES, PSX, Saturn, PS2, XBOX, GBC, GBA, etc.

Now I don’t really want to own any of it. I can see keeping a small handful of VCS titles (maybe 10-20) of the 100+ I own, and similarly a NES, Genesis, SNES, and maybe 5-10 titles each for those. The rest can go.

• Like 1

None I would REFUSE to buy, only the stupid overpriced systems. I'd LOVE to have a Jaguar, but those are WAY high. Vectrex - also too expensive and not very exciting for me. I had an Intellivision but sold it off...I have no urge to own that again. I have enough as it is anyway lol. The only systems I WILL try for that I don't already have are an Odyssey2 and a Ti-99/4a.

Edited by jetset
  • Like 1

I love collecting 5200!! Don't mind the flaws of it either... CDi stinks on the other hand lol. Its funny that the weirdos who trolled on the game based off my podcast likes CDi,they're idiots..

Anyways I got lucky when someone gave me a free Vectrex,only reason why I collect it I guess.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I find the pre-Coleco/Famicom stuff a joke, too crude and needing more imagination that anyone should muster to get some solid justifiable level of pleasure out of the games.

This sentiment just makes me sad. :(

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

For years I’ve tried to grab everything earlier than NES that existed. As I get older and know that I need to scale down, I’ve started thinking about which system collections don’t mean a lot to me and can eventually go.  Jaguar will be the first.  I don’t have much for it, but system and games are not of much interest for me to continue with.  Turbografx will be next.  After that maybe Sega Master.  That one I have a pretty significant collection for.  Beyond those 3 it gets tougher to decide.  

• Thanks 1

REFUSE is a bit harsh, but I don't really have any desire or motivation to "collect" for modern systems, since all the physical copies are fractions of the game now.   So instead of "add that to my collection," I just buy whatever I wanna play in whatever way is cheapest to get it.

I do have lots of modern games on disc/cart because they were cheaper than digital, but I know they're incomplete until downloading the updates/patches/etc, so that renders "collecting" pointless to me.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, ls650 said:

This sentiment just makes me sad. :(

Me too!  Although I understand it from Tanooki's point of view (He wasn't around when Atari Was the latest system).  For example,  when I think of a modern day first person shooter,  in all it's brown and gray glory, looking for all intents and purposes like real life.  It's surely exciting to some,  but often I see boredom,...Not even an escape.  I'd MUCH rather play Dark Cavern on Atari!   And, not even talking about imagination (needed) to see something a certain way,  I like playing Adventure because it looks the way it does!  To bring it up to NES level for those that weren't there for the Golden Days of Atari when everything was fresh and exciting,  it would be hard to explain the NES's graphics to a modern gamer who calls Zelda "blocky"...But in it's day (And Now), there is a certain charm in seeing platforms and mazes, and ice and lava levels, and alien worlds, castles and haunted houses;  All represented as surreal, stylized pixel art mazes, backdrops, and pathways in vivid colors on your screen.  Photorealism does Not figure into it and that's the point!

Also I think there's a bonus nostalgia point for those of us who grew up with arcades...Because what was going on in arcades (up to a point),  with regards to gameplay and graphics,  always seemed out of reach for home systems...And each new console got us closer to bringing home the dream...

The same thing was happening with movie theaters compared to basic TVs,...Then better receivers, surround sound, better media, bigger screens, etc.,  began to diminish the differences...But that is another topic.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Tanooki said:

too crude and needing more imagination that anyone should muster to get some solid justifiable level of pleasure out of the games. 

7 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

And, not even talking about imagination (needed) to see something a certain way

Kinda funny to see you guys referencing "imagination" needed for video games.  I've been playing some modern JRPG type of stuff lately, and I've quite frequently found myself thinking of something similar.

I can pop in Frostbite, River Raid, Keystone Kapers on 2600 and just vibe with how amazingly fun it is, no brain strain required.  But some of these modern JRPGs (even when I enjoy them) -- I really have to stretch the ol' imagination muscle to try and pretend that what just happened at any given moment wasn't "complete and utter ridiculous bullshit"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

The most successful approach to collecting seems to be “just let it happen”.

Make little/no effort for chasing after stuff and just enjoy the stuff you like. Eventually you build up a library of awesomesauce, replete with nostalgia, good times, minimal fluffage, and something you can enjoy for years to come.

The disadvantage is none of it is instant. Collecting that way can take years! But it’s stress-free and so much fun! Nothing is pre-determined. And you end up with stuff you like.

Despite MAME having been out for more than 25 years and supporting tens of thousands of titles, I only mess with some 250 right now. The rest are mine to discover!

• Like 3