IGNORED

need mame roms and I am fed up

bradhig1

The hard drive on my last laptop crashed and now I am trying to replace mame and its roms.   I can't get deco cassette to work because i am missing vod_7e and every version of cbdash  I fnd online doesn't have it.   I used to know where to get mame roms but those places are gone and I am afraid of what other missing rom files I will need.    I couldn't find a full romset for the latest mame all I could find on usenet was a set for mame 145.

The hard drive on my last laptop crashed and now I am trying to replace mame and its roms.   I can't get deco cassette to work because i am missing vod_7e and every version of cbdash  I fnd online doesn't have it.   I used to know where to get mame roms but those places are gone and I am afraid of what other missing rom files I will need.    I couldn't find a full romset for the latest mame all I could find on usenet was a set for mame 145.

Archive.org

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bradhig1 said:

The 145 set is pretty old.  Archive.org has a 243 merged set.  You can grab individual files directly but looks like you have to use torrent to get the entire archive.

I see a flle called v0d-.7e in decocass.zip in the mame bios set.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

You're supposed to use the provided tools to update your ROMsets when MAME itself updates.

Granted, it's a little confusing to figure out...I've done it once and I don't remember how I did it. I need to leave myself notes so I don't have to hope I can find the tutorial again.

But I definitely need to do it again, because some of the sets I've found are missing quite a few popular games.

I usually just continue running an outdated version of MAME :ponder:

Edited by Asaki

39 minutes ago, Asaki said:

You're supposed to use the provided tools to update your ROMsets when MAME itself updates.

Granted, it's a little confusing to figure out...I've done it once and I don't remember how I did it. I need to leave myself notes so I don't have to hope I can find the tutorial again.

This made sense in the days of limited internet bandwidth, or dl credit on torrent sites. Back then I used to download incremental updates, now I just grab the latest whole set once or twice per year.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Asaki said:

But I definitely need to do it again, because some of the sets I've found are missing quite a few popular games.

I usually just continue running an outdated version of MAME :ponder:

If you're talking about Clrmamepro, while it can reorganise and rename files to an updated set, it won't add any missing files.  You still have to download them.  Even running the tool isn't necessary as you can just add more rom search paths for additional downloads, and Mame can find files in the old sets if they are there.  I just grab individual rom files as needed, it doesn't happen to often that newer mame can't find the files in an older set.