IGNORED

Weather thread

mizapf

I thought my 8800 Westinghouse was good enough but the electrician looked at it to connect it to my breaker box and said the breaker on the generator is only a three amp and it needs to be at least a 10 amp so they denied installing it to my house. But I can run cords all day..

• Like 1

On 8/5/2024 at 3:44 PM, GDMike said:

I thought my 8800 Westinghouse was good enough but the electrician looked at it to connect it to my breaker box and said the breaker on the generator is only a three amp and it needs to be at least a 10 amp so they denied installing it to my house. But I can run cords all day..

8800 ...Watts ...would translate to 73 Amps.

A 360 Watt, generator(3 Amp) would fit in a brown paper bag.:ponder:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, HOME AUTOMATION said:

A 360 Watt, generator(3 Amp) would fit in a brown paper bag.:ponder:

I guess he meant the breaker that's on the generator that's what he said it's only three amp.

But the advertisement that I went off of said will power a house.

It's an electric start, It has a 220 out it has 3 110s out and has a 12 volt out a 5 volt out. 

As heavy as a son of a b****

Oh it's a 7500 sorry

IMG_20240807_073729768_HDR.jpg

Edited by GDMike
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, GDMike said:

I guess he meant the breaker that's on the generator that's what he said it's only three amp.

But the advertisement that I went off of said will power a house.

It's an electric start, It has a 220 out it has 3 110s out and has a 12 volt out a 5 volt out. 

As heavy as a son of a b****

Oh it's a 7500 sorry

IMG_20240807_073729768_HDR.jpg

I ain't no elechicken, but I see two 120V 20A breakers and a 30A 240V outlet on this machine.  I would call another sparky and get a second opinion.

wgen7500C-7_540x.png.baf348d9d303d92745f68dac49c7a4ce.png

https://westinghouseoutdoorpower.com/products/wgen7500c-generator-with-co-sensor

(2) GFCI 5-20R household duplex outlets and (1) Transfer Switch Ready L14-30R 120/240-Volt twist-lock receptacle with rubber outlet covers

(Emphasis mine.)

Additionally, on page 32 of the manual, the replacement part for that main breaker is listed as:

2.2.7 6523 BREAKER 30/2P/31A/1.25/CSA

It is also shown as "2P/30A" (2-pole, 30 amps,) in the schematics on page 34.

4 hours ago, HOME AUTOMATION said:

At 240V, 7500 would be about 31A, just barely over the 30A rating on the outlet.

I gotta give it to Westinghouse: a lot of generator vendors prominently list the peak power output rather than the running power.  My 10kW unit, a DuroMax XP10000EH, actually has a running output of 8.5kW, which gives about 35A and a peak of 40A.  While it has a 50A outlet, it will never supply 50A.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, mizapf said:

Generators seem to be an ongoing topic of interest in the US or Canada.

Anyone here in Europe who invested in a power generator?

Sometimes I get sick of power going up and down and That has ability to kill my computer stuff. 

But you know when I mostly get power outages..

Seriously in the middle of the day with no rain no wind no reason..

One time the power went out and I called a friend of mine That knows people and he tracked the problem down to another town and said the dude there has switched lines and accidentally shut the power off instead. 

Our power comes in on two lines because Raytheon McDonald Douglas Lockheed general Dynamics are all down the street and so they required two lines to run to their plants besides their own diesel generators and occasionally they switch lines then our power lights will blink at our house as the transfer happens. 

And sometimes I call and they say it was a squirrel on the telephone line.. but what's funny is those lines are close to the power plant because all of our power here are underground. 

But no I don't pull my generator out unless power's been off a couple hours first.

Edited by GDMike
  • Sad 1

48 minutes ago, GDMike said:

Not McDonnell Douglas... that's a big ole typo..

I was thinking about general Dynamics and I wrote McDonald Douglas...duh...

Did he have a dog?  What was his name-o?

• Haha 2

On 8/7/2024 at 3:21 PM, mizapf said:

I do have a 2kVA petrol (gasoline) genny but I haven't used it in years.  I got an outside socket installed on my house and a changeover switch installed and did use it a few times during long outages.  These days I have solar and a hybrid inverter so I can switch to battery during an outage.

On 8/7/2024 at 4:21 PM, mizapf said:

Yes of course :D I have this one "mounted ready to go" in my garage

Champion73001I-DF-EU--DualFuelInverter--RMS--IMG_7203.thumb.JPG.4dee06a87fb944d655a2a9cca448bd3c.JPG

• Like 1

Just went out to spot the Perseids meteor shower, but ... well, Polar lights again. Weak, but there.

You can also see the Perseus constellation, Andromeda, and the Andromeda galaxy (if you know where to look 🙂 )

dsc01327k.jpg

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, GDMike said:

Better get a carbon monoxide detector for that garage

The exhaust goes straight outside, through the wall. Nothing can stay inside. And there is a fresh air-inlet too

But I think, IF I have to use it, I won´t sleep in the garage anyway :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...