IGNORED

Weather thread

mizapf

• 2 weeks later...

The best part about a looming hurricane, besides the uncertainty, is being prepared in advanced and just sitting and waiting.  Life is put on hold around me as people who are not prepared are running around like chickens with their heads cut off, some people are just topping off for the just-in-case (like I topped off my 3/4 tank of gas last night,) schools and offices are half-day.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Gary from OPA said:

This is one of the largest roads in Tampa.

Completely underwater. 7 foot swells.

And the storm is not there yet…

👀

Yeh... our friend @OLD CS1 can tell you all about it as he's in that area of Florida. We're waiting for it to into South Georgia. I can't say that I'm ready as I can't get my Generator to run, as it sat up with bad gas, as I was healing from the arm injury I sustained last year.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, RickyDean said:

Yeh... our friend @OLD CS1 can tell you all about it as he's in that area of Florida. We're waiting for it to into South Georgia. I can't say that I'm ready as I can't get my Generator to run, as it sat up with bad gas, as I was healing from the arm injury I sustained last year.

Storm surge is often worse than actual wind and rain in some areas.  Right now, the waiting is the hardest part.  I have been ready since about Saturday.  I have done a little bit here and there to retain a readiness level (topping off a few gallons of gas every so often, grabbing replacement UPS batteries, &c,) even went up to the data center to replace a switch with a bad fan.  But pretty much everything is closed today, so there is no shopping (I did not pick up anything to drink!)

I was surprised, and happy, to find Battery Source was open today, as was my tech vendor, so I was able to grab a few SLAs for a colleague's UPS and my replacement firewall.

That sucks about the generator.  That is the one investment I made several years back which has made the biggest impact on our livability during storm recovery.  I just ordered a GenerLink which should be here in a couple of weeks.  I have about 15 gallons of marine gas (93 octane ethanol-free) on reserve, 8 1/2 gallons in the tank, and three 20# propane tanks.

Now, the wait.  We were expecting to have winds by now, and nothing.

Click here to see local Tallahassee weather stations (you have to select "Temp/Wind" in the Weather Station layers... I could not find the variable to put it in the link.)

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, TheBF said:

I was thinking you would be getting some wind about now

image.thumb.png.113072c0f43bafc5fe4ce8c64a700ade.png

We started getting winds about an hour ago, with the first gust of 24mph.

19 minutes ago, Gary from OPA said:

🚨 FORT MYERS, FLORIDA IS UNDER WATER

This video released by the Lee County Sheriff is terrifying.

Storm surge is DECIMATING Lee County, and Hurricane Helene hasn’t even made landfall yet.

PRAY FOR FLORIDA!

Much of the damage from hurricanes in Florida is storm surge.  It precedes the storms and can wreak havoc on areas not in the storm path.

• Sad 1

We finally lost power about an hour ago.  I heard a big buzz off in the distance which tells me some phases shorted and never cleared (fallen lines, perhaps.)  Watching some videos until the UPSes on the entertainment stand go out (about another 10 minutes or so) then heading to bed.  If power is not up by morning I will set up the generator.

Worst I saw here was a 25mph gust, and a short period of sustained winds in the teens.  Neighbor's privacy fence fell over into his yard, a large branch which was hanging way up in the trees from the last hurricane fell in my yard, I think a squirrel nest in my tree out front got blown away.

It made landfall off to the east of us, which the weather radar models showed it would do and is the extreme eastern edge of NHC's uncertainty cone.