IGNORED

99/2 peculiarities ....

I've just tried to make a couple of games for the 99/2 in MAME emulation, as the cassette recording and playing works fine.

The first attempt was a "bomber" game using the 99/2's internal graphics subset, (32K rom 99/2, not the 24K)

This failed because HCHAR/VCHAR doesn't act like it does on the 99/4A ... take a look at this code and you'll know what it does.... 

32000 FOR Q=5 TO 28

32005 BH=INT(8*RND)+3

32010 GH=24-BH

32015 CALL VCHAR(GH,Q,144,BH)

32020 NEXT Q

This was meant to build a city using character 144 which is a nice clear block ... however when it went from left to right it wiped out the buildings on it's way towards the right.

This is unexpected behaviour.  I worked around it by making the line 32000 say "FOR Q=28 TO 5 STEP-1" and basically making the city the other way round, however, when the plane dropped a bomb, the bomb would blank out all buildings to the left of it at the same time as the one it was hitting.  How strange!

The second attempt was a "dopewars" game using just text.  This was going nicely, using the 32KB expansion, until about the 6th SAVE when all of a sudden I had a screen full of random characters and a message "Internal Error" or something to that effect!

The ROM is / was bugged all along?  

Edited by Retrospect
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The 99/2 defines all characters from 70 to FF als "BEOL" (Blank to End Of Line). If you write such a character into a line, the rendering process stops at that point and leaves the remainder blank.

The background is that the 99/2 does not have a proper VDP; also, the video memory is mapped into the CPU address space. So when it is supposed to draw a screen line, the CPU is halted to avoid concurrent accesses. When the line is done, the CPU is released.

This also means that the 99/2 becomes slower when the screen is filled.

See Section 3.3 in the attached document. This refers to the 24K console where 70-FF are BEOL, while in the 32K version, 80-FF are BEOL.

TI992_Product_Specification.pdf

• Like 5

The 99/2 defines all characters from 70 to FF als "BEOL" (Blank to End Of Line). If you write such a character into a line, the rendering process stops at that point and leaves the remainder blank.

The background is that the 99/2 does not have a proper VDP; also, the video memory is mapped into the CPU address space. So when it is supposed to draw a screen line, the CPU is halted to avoid concurrent accesses. When the line is done, the CPU is released.

See Section 3.3 in the attached document. This refers to the 24K console where 70-FF are BEOL, while in the 32K version, 80-FF are BEOL.
TI992_Product_Specification.pdf

Fascinating. I’m guessing that overriding this might mean that we have to find the test in rom that says >70 = BEOL and just increase it or something. Kind of interesting how they cut it off at 112.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, acadiel said:

Fascinating. I’m guessing that overriding this might mean that we have to find the test in rom that says >70 = BEOL and just increase it or something. Kind of interesting how they cut it off at 112.

This is surely done inside the TAL-004 custom video chip, so I guess there is no way to change it. The document below mentions a "bitmap mode", but there is no indication that the memory layout inside the 99/2 allows for a bitmap mode; maybe this was a possible future extension.

TI992_Video_Chip.pdf

• Like 2

On 5/22/2022 at 12:59 PM, mizapf said:

Yes, I encountered this.  When I got my "city" to draw (from right to left!) and the plane was travelling across the screen, it was slower if the city was taking up more screen space.  

• Like 2