IGNORED

DEMO - Impossible Mission (not WIP or Game)

rsiddall

21 hours ago, orange808 said:

P.S.

Another hint:  One of the bits for the VCS colors is unused and has no effect on what you'll see on screen. At the cost of more cycles, you could isolate that bit and have a "floor" anywhere you want and any color you want.

Okay, so here's what I'm realizing and maybe there is something good that will come from this.

1. I'm a novice...no getting around it. I love to tinker with the bits and pieces and try to make things happen. My lack of knowledge/experience will probably drive some people nuts - especially when they see the code. 

2. It sounds like you have some ideas on how to fix the issues I've run into (based on your input). Thank you for trying to problem solve without seeing the actual code. It's doubtful that I have the ability to address these issues even with your helpful hints/suggestions.

So, I'm including the code here and turning it over to anyone who would like to continue working on this - no strings attached.

I used SeaGTGruff's room code to build the 3 existing rooms. I've used it before on my Awakening game.

Current version has knockback left/right turned off so I can progress from room to room. It should become apparent once it's turned back on.

I think that's everything. What I love most about the forum is the feedback (good or bad)...it's what keeps me coming back.

-Rodney

Imp-Mis-CURRENTver9.txt Imp-Mis-CURRENTver9.bas

Edited by rsiddall
  • Like 5

31 minutes ago, Sohl said:

@rsiddall  You came fairly far in a short amount of time!  The single-color-per-line man looks better than I expected, to be honest.  I hope you stay involved, even if others collaborate more directly from this point.

I enjoyed going through the process and where I ended up...just kept running into things that hindered my progress and I was spending more time trying to problem solve than moving forward.

I'd love to see a working solution even if the game isn't fully realized.

Appreciate your enthusiasm!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/4/2022 at 4:01 PM, orange808 said:

P.S.

Another hint:  One of the bits for the VCS colors is unused and has no effect on what you'll see on screen. At the cost of more cycles, you could isolate that bit and have a "floor" anywhere you want and any color you want.

Is there an example I could see or a bit of code that shows how this works? I'd love to be able to add this to my tool belt. 

No. I don't have code handy to do it.

You'll have to use inline assembler, point a data fetcher (storing #24 as the C_function "DFxHI" will spit out data) at your playfield color data, and grab the information. After that, you'd have to use a logical AND to get at that unused bit. You'll have to look up the data table location in the assembler output of your code. 

And, now that I type how to do it, I realize I took you way out into the weeds. I apologize.

Edited by orange808
swipe to type stinks
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, orange808 said:

No. I don't have code handy to do it.

You'll have to use inline assembler, point a data fetcher (storing #24 as the C_function "DFxHI" will spit out data) at your playfield color data, and grab the information. After that, you'd have to use a logical AND to get at that unused bit. You'll have to look up the data table location in the assembler output of your code. 

And, now that I type how to do it, I realize I took you way out into the weeds. I apologize.

Yep...lost me at assembler. ?

• 6 months later...

Would it be possible to have a speech synthesizer in the game? You might have to code in assembly because you will probably have to create an extra sound chip like PITFALL 2 did. I do not think you could do that in batari basic. You could try to make a special IDE for batari, but that would be more effort than just coding in assembly (if you know assembly for the '2600).

Edited by grayescu

47 minutes ago, grayescu said:

Would it be possible to have a speech synthesizer in the game? You might have to code in assembly because you will probably have to create an extra sound chip like PITFALL 2 did. I do not think you could do that in batari basic. You could try to make a special IDE for batari, but that would be more effort than just coding in assembly (if you know assembly for the '2600).

I wasn't thinking that far ahead. It was more of a could it be done and look good using what little skills I have and batari.