IGNORED

C64 Emu on Mac

Got Vice & Virtual64, can load roms, get opening screen up, joystick mapped

esc = run....& then nothing. 

I cannot get a game to play. 

Forgive the newb q but anyone got pointers? 

Would love to play River Raid on C64. 

And all those great C64 titles....

Some games use joystick in port 1, others use port 2. At least VICE used to have a shortcut key to swap joystick ports. There may be additional issues but start there and try various games.

Some use function keys like F1 to start, or maybe space/return but that was more the earlier generation of games.

esc = run....& then nothing. 
I cannot get a game to play.

It’s a bit unclear how far you get. Is carlsson correct in that the game starts but you are unable to progress past an initial screen waiting for joystick input?

VICE has swap joystick ports mapped to alt+J on Linux. I’m guessing something similar on the Mac.

It sounds like you haven't configured a (virtual) joystick. On older versions of WinVICE there was an indicator in the lower right that shows the joystick input. I don't know if the latest VICE still has it, and if it is present in the Mac version but if it exists, check the settings if you have any joysticks at all configured. Usually those would be cursor keys, numpad or a real controller via USB. It might be that simple that it defaults to no joystick emulation at all, and that is why nothing happens.