IGNORED

Activision "Skiing" weirdness

glurk

I was just "looking" at this in Stella's disassembly view, and in Omnivore.  And in this game - I've NEVER seen this before - the numbers 0-9 and the 'Activision' logo are not present...  Well, I guess they are, somehow, but they must be compressed / interlaced / hidden / stored weirdly...

I can't imagine how some of the sprite data could be compressed?  What is this jiggery-pokery??  The skiing man, flags, and trees are in there, but no numbers and no logo to be found.  I was maybe going to try to disassemble this one, but I'm confused before I even begin...

5 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

In Skiing the graphics are stored interleaved. E.g. the data for '0' is stored at $f700, $f710, $f720,...$f760. You can see in the disassembly, that Stella has identified these bytes as sprite data.

Ah, OK.  I am not familiar with having sprite data stored like that.  I never saw that before...

On 5/26/2022 at 3:56 AM, glurk said:

Ah, OK.  I am not familiar with having sprite data stored like that.  I never saw that before.

Have a look at the labeled disassemblies I did for Boxing and Football. Both have interleaved graphics and were done by Bob Whitehead.

Millipede also stores graphic data in a similar manner.

• Like 1