IGNORED

Atari 400 Green Screen

That product is a little confusing i.e. t-power für 9 VAC AC Atari co17945 400, 800, 810, 850, 1010, 1050, 1200 x l Ersatz AC DC Adapter Schaltnetzteil Kordel Ladegerät

Highlighted "AC DC Adaptor" although the picture shows an AC output.

If it's really giving a DC output then it won't work, can you measure the output on the socket ?

I also notice it doesn't give the output wattage.

Spoiler

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

So based on the conversation calculator VxA=Watts fo 9vac 1amp is 9 watts so its probably low

This one. T POWER Compatible with 9VAC AC-ONLY: Atari CO17945 400, 800, 810, 850, 1010, 1050, 1200XL Replacement AC Adapter Switching Power Supply Cord Charger https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077PFTXGR/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_9Q09V7ZVY64HDA5MCY9G?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

1 hour ago, Vbruno305 said:

VoltxAmps=Watts so it 9watts

No, that's the input current it says

Input :110-140VAC 50/60Hz 1.0 Amps Max

Output: 9V~12V

It does not specify an output current, nor does is say it's AC

even though on the picture it does say AC/AC Adaptor, the actual description says AC/DC just as @_The Doctor__ says and I highlighted earlier

If it was 9 watts, that's not enough for a 400.

Please be careful until your sure what you have as it may cause damage (hopefully it hasn't done any harm yet)

3 hours ago, Vbruno305 said:

VoltxAmps=Watts so it 9watts

Also I do not know who to test for AC vs DC volts using a multimeter

If you set the multitester to DC and measure some significant voltage, then it is a DC power supply. A correct AC output power supply should show close to zero DC voltage, and if you set the multitester to AC voltage mode you should read 10v or more.

• Like 1

Both the picture and the description say its output is AC... "AC/AC Adapter" in the photo and "9V AC" in the description. In theory, it should work...

Unfortunately, it doesn't say how many Amps the output provides, so, yes, it could be insufficient to power the 400, which may need 1.5A

Otherwise, if the power supply is fine, when was the last time you had that 400 working? Or maybe it never worked since you got it?

Edited by machf

I bought it about 6 years ago and didnt have a ps so it sat in a tub while I worked on other projects.  I really didnt want it but since I haven't gotten an XL or XE I decided to get a PS for it.  So lets take the PS out of the equation what else can it be or is there an AV mod that may bypass this issue?  Also where can I get a good PS for it, Best Electronics?

The 400 should use the same power supply as the disk drives... anywhere you can get a power supply for Atari disk drives it should work. BTW, I noticed the "official" Atari ones have like 9V/3.5A output (that's 31.5W).

And looking at the 400/800 Field Service manual, page 5-6 (that's the actual page number, not "pages 5 to 6", BTW), if all you get on power-up is a green screen, you should try swapping out RAM and ROM cards until you identify the damaged one... yes, unfortunately that's a symptom for a damaged RAM or ROM card.

11 hours ago, Vbruno305 said:

The description does not say anywhere in there that it is AC-DC but it does say 9-12 V in the pic.  That being said could it just be that it is under powered?

Yes it does :)---------------------------------->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>            HERE 

t-power für 9 VAC AC Atari co17945 400, 800, 810, 850, 1010, 1050, 1200 x l Ersatz AC DC Adapter Schaltnetzteil Kordel Ladegerät

1 hour ago, Vbruno305 said:

not sure what you are looking at but on the Amazon ad that I attached it does not say AC DC, is that German?

This is where your link takes me and the description definitely says (after Google Translate) before translate it's as I posted in #14 above

Replacement AC DC Adapter Switching Power Cord Charger

It really does say it's a switching Adaptor, AC PSU's are not switching, I guess the seller has no real idea of what he's selling

and maybe it is an AC PSU, but it's really not a good way to sell your goods, he should at least have a minimal understanding of what he's selling.

Really only trying to protect you/your equipment 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077PFTXGR/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_9Q09V7ZVY64HDA5MCY9G?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I understand that..but the screen shot is from the link in last message is straight from Amazon where I bought it...I was just trying to understand where you got the ac dc from... someone else responded that the green screen is a problem woth the ram or rom card....i do appreciate the advice 

operating a computer in brown out conditions cooks chips.

People went and read as well as looked at all the pictures from the links provided and have serious concerns about the supply. The information gathered does not inspire confidence.

It would be simple for you to check the supply with a digital multi meter (DMM) etc. to make sure it is the correct supply under load.

There is no point in troubleshooting a machine if the power supply will possibly be doing damage to whatever you are fixing.

Edited by _The Doctor__

The picture you posted clearly shows tip polarity, it states conflicting data in the picture vs the description and furthermore the description conflicts with the specs... nothing is in agreement !!!     If you only see the part you want to see, Your' giants are probably windmills!

11.2vac should be okay. Remember that's the voltage without load. Now that you are sure it is an AC power supply, you need to measure the voltage under load i.e. with the Atari 400 connected. 

Anyway, I guess you already got a new PS

Edited by manterola