IGNORED

PEB Use Poll - Do you use a PEB?

pixelpedant

TI-99 PEB Usage in 2022  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own and use a PEB as your TI-99 expansion solution?

• Yes, I own a PEB and regularly use the PEB for TI-99 expansion
    • Yes, I own a PEB, and some of the time use the PEB for TI-99 expansion
    • Sort of - I own a PEB, but only rarely use it as my TI-99 expansion
    • Sort of - I own a PEB, but don't use it any more for TI-99 expansion
    • No, I do not own a PEB

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I suspect that there is a bias to the poll... 

The number of poll responders is still a minority of the overall TI userbase if you go by what I think I've heard regarding sales of side port things... Even if you consider 100% overlap.

Those of us active enough to see the poll are more likely to have certain things...

• Like 5

I also purchased three TIPIs but the two sidecars re-sold again. At the moment I only remaining the one for the PEB but still not in use. I still find hard to understand how to configure it and also a bit lazy to study the new commands and how it will works without the use on the dsk or via wifi... maybe I am a bit dummy. 
Also the fact that the OS is on the SD of the raspberry and needs to be turned off that one first and only then the ti99 because the is a risk to lost the data, makes me anxious ?

I also waiting for the sdd99 in the meantime or the tinyPEB, all stand alone without a need or raspberry at least.
In the meantime if I will be able to understand better how to complete the configuration I will be happy to try the TIPI in the PEB :)

3 hours ago, ti99iuc said:

I also purchased three TIPIs but the two sidecars re-sold again. At the moment I only remaining the one for the PEB but still not in use. I still find hard to understand how to configure it and also a bit lazy to study the new commands and how it will works without the use on the dsk or via wifi... maybe I am a bit dummy. 
Also the fact that the OS is on the SD of the raspberry and needs to be turned off that one first and only then the ti99 because the is a risk to lost the data, makes me anxious ?

I also waiting for the sdd99 in the meantime or the tinyPEB, all stand alone without a need or raspberry at least.
In the meantime if I will be able to understand better how to complete the configuration I will be happy to try the TIPI in the PEB :)

There are misconceptions expressed here, but that is off topic and should be addressed by questions in the TIPI support thread. But in brief, the 4A, and PEB may be turned on and off without risking data loss with a continuously powered on PI.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, jedimatt42 said:

There are misconceptions expressed here, but that is off topic and should be addressed by questions in the TIPI support thread. But in brief, the 4A, and PEB may be turned on and off without risking data loss with a continuously powered on PI.

yes, sorry, I had expressed myself wrongly, that's exactly the problem that makes me anxious, the fact that the raspberry can shut down or freeze during use and the fact that it also has to be powered separately. But also that I need to remember to shut down it before the system. But you are right that this is not the discussion thread here :)
Maybe when I can do some testing I will post my doubts post in the correct thread to learn something better ;)
Here just wanted to describe my current move with TIPI and PEB ?

Edited by ti99iuc
  • Like 1

I have to have TIPI with my PEB, of course that's not the question here. But it makes a difference to me. I don't think I'd use my PEB as often if no tipi. Id be using a nanopeb. If they were still in production that is.

Edited by GDMike

14 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

I suspect that there is a bias to the poll... 

The number of poll responders is still a minority of the overall TI userbase if you go by what I think I've heard regarding sales of side port things... Even if you consider 100% overlap.

Those of us active enough to see the poll are more likely to have certain things...

I should do this poll on the facebook group and see what I get

Hopefully my CorComp 9900MES will be resurrected at the end of the month.

Just waiting on some chips, 2xTMS9901 and 2xWD1773 to arrive.

It's a nice small semi-portable TI system (RS232/PIO/32K/DD-FDC/2x5.25" half-height drives).

Will swap out one of the floppy drives for a GoTek when fixed.

• Like 2

What I am reading is that the hardcore users, use a PEB! ?

And one way of growing the community is to make a modern PEB, that is easy for everyone to get a hold of. Maybe that is something that is a more interesting thing to know. How many want to take the real TI and expand it with hardware that can run "bigger stuff" on the system? If you could upgrade your system, what would you do?

To pixelpedant, what about making an overview of possible ways of upgrading your TI. You're making a lot of great content for the TI, on youtube! ?

1 hour ago, oddemann said:

To pixelpedant, what about making an overview of possible ways of upgrading your TI. You're making a lot of great content for the TI, on youtube! ?

Thanks! I did do this video about a year ago.  So that tends to be the one I refer people to (i.e., new or returning users) who are looking for info on the main must-have upgrades. 

And I did a video on the PEB (and all the main first party cards). 

I figure subsequent upgrade/hardware videos would tend to be on specific upgrades, until I feel like my original general purpose must-have-upgrades video is just too old and out of date, and I need to update it. :P

Not sure which though, at this point. Probably depends on what falls into my lap (and sufficiently fascinates me). 

• Like 4

On 6/5/2022 at 9:39 PM, oddemann said:

What if one modernized the PEB? I think that all cards can be made much smaller and all possible cards could have space within a smaller footprint. Or is it better to code it all into a Raspberry Pi? (if possible?)

If I understand correctly, there are some "half" substitutes for the PEB, or are there modern 100% substitutes for the PEB?

Nice idea but probably not worth the effort. As for an all in one solution, it already exists as the CADD 99/5C and is on sale here: https://caddelectronics.com/ for a very reasonable price given what you get but still expensive for most...

• Like 1

I used to have a PEB.  Although it added remarkable new abilities to the TI, it was very large, very noisy and cumbersome.

After I got a CorComp MES 9900 the PEB was never used again.  I ended up selling it and haven't missed it.   The only reason I can think of to get another one would be if I ever scored a Myarc Geneve.  And since that isn't likely....