IGNORED

Boom! (Atari 2600)

cd-w

4 hours ago, cd-w said:

I can't find the post now, but I think someone said that the PAL colors were too yellow?

Here is a version with some alternative PAL colors - let me know if this is an improvement?

Chris

boom_pal60alt.bin 32 kB · 1 download

… that was me Chris. I will test it this week and post some pictures. Many thanks for updating the PAL colors 😊

• Like 1

On 8/29/2022 at 2:10 AM, cd-w said:

I can't find the post now, but I think someone said that the PAL colors were too yellow?

Here is a version with some alternative PAL colors - let me know if this is an improvement?

Chris

boom_pal60alt.bin 32 kB · 8 downloads

Mmmh - I would say no changes in PAL colors (maybe walls are a little bit darker 🤷‍♂️). But still very greenish overall tone. 

84A64D0F-EBEF-4D20-948E-870BE87A9FF5.jpeg

On 9/3/2022 at 7:34 AM, Bomberman94 said:

Mmmh - I would say no changes in PAL colors (maybe walls are a little bit darker 🤷‍♂️). But still very greenish overall tone.

Thanks for the screenshot - it does look rather green!   Here are some different background color variations - can you let me know which you think looks best (the number at the end of the filename is the PAL color value)?

Chris

boom_pal60_20.bin boom_pal60_30.bin boom_pal60_32.bin boom_pal60_50.bin boom_pal60_52.bin boom_pal60_70.bin boom_pal60_72.bin

Edited by cd-w
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here are screenshots of each version directly from my CRT (in the correct, ascending order). The first one has a different color but I like it because it has nice color (maybe a little bit too dark) and a good contrast as well as the most beautiful rock color (maybe it could be selectable in the menu to choose a different theme?). 

It is hard to tell what is the best/most fitting but I would go for the darker ones. Problem is (if i compare with the NTSC version) that the rocks looks too green and therefore too similar to the rest. 

8F9E1633-D482-4292-8C05-484CDCDC1F7B.jpeg

8CEE912F-3886-4D39-8C67-E613EDC1D387.jpeg

C1F2027A-8097-4013-9B0E-F7D2FB455CA8.jpeg

9044754D-33B4-4371-A4A1-A01FC0003BC2.jpeg

C771AA84-4159-41FF-91B9-5542738EE6E8.jpeg

FC3F13F9-0572-403A-BEDC-85255AD5B5AF.jpeg

31772745-8325-458C-B214-470075B2861E.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I really enjoyed watching this Interview.  I've played Boom! and Zeviouz and they are both great!  The ability to use both buttons in Zeviouz is great, this is the definitive version of Zevious now for me.   I've never enjoyed Zevious until now.  Boom!, how creative!  I really enjoyed the added game mechanics as the levels progress, and I think the ability to continue is very nice!  Thank you Chris!  Just Fun! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

A new (RC3) version is available in the top post - the main changes are:

1. New PAL60 colors
  2. Button 2 type no longer needs to be selected (can use any of Select, Fire 2, Genesis B)
  3. Boom! logo should now display properly on all 2600 consoles

Let me know if you find any further issues?

Thanks!

• Like 11

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
16 minutes ago, minireis said:

I got it, thanks. So these games don't run on Atari 2600. Is that it?

No. They run on the Atari 2600 but the Uno/PlusCart doesn't know what to do with the CDFJ binary in order to feed the data to the console. The Uno/PlusCart could be updated so that it does know what to do with the binary but no one has done that yet.

34 minutes ago, JetSetIlly said:

No. They run on the Atari 2600 but the Uno/PlusCart doesn't know what to do with the CDFJ binary in order to feed the data to the console. The Uno/PlusCart could be updated so that it does know what to do with the binary but no one has done that yet.

I understand, thank you!

53 minutes ago, JetSetIlly said:

IIRC it are the games which would have to be adjusted. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Yes. The addresses would have to be relocated. It's possible I think, but it would be a pain - which is why I don't think anyone's tackled it yet.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

3 hours ago, JetSetIlly said:

Yes. The addresses would have to be relocated. It's possible I think, but it would be a pain - which is why I don't think anyone's tackled it yet.

There had been a discussion in the PlusCart club about CDFJ:

But I don't think we should add CDFJ (or DPC+) to the firmware. Since we have ELF, which could be used for the ROM to bring it's own banking like CDFJ and DPC+ (similar to the Harmony cart)

Last year I tried to port @SpiceWare's collect3 CDFJ demo to UnoCart/PlusCart ELF format, similar to the test/examples given by @ZackAttack in the UCA repository (https://github.com/Al-Nafuur/United-Carts-of-Atari/tree/main/source/ElfTests). As driver in elf_main I used basically Stella's CDFJ code.