IGNORED

Season 20 Round 12 - Ninja Gaiden III

asponge

1 hour ago, Razzie.P said:

I got a little farther than mbd39 (as of the last score post) but with a lower score.  I run from things a lot.

NGIII_652900.jpg.2d5edc4861a65ead4dc7c7266633604a.jpg

My higher score may also have to do with accidentally dying in lucrative areas.

Ideally this should be a one life contest but game is hard enough as it is.

Fun game. Wish you could turn around mid-air. That would help a lot when getting surrounded.

I kept getting farther, but with lower scores. Like it was mentioned before, where you end up replaying can help your score. It’s interesting playing a lot of these games for scores, since I would never have cared back in the day. Now, I only hit continue to practice the level. 

Ninja Gaiden III - 83,300 stage 2C 

E365C5E1-3FC2-40E1-912C-874429D01F80.thumb.jpeg.27152397db11386f5f1dac7725280d6c.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frozone212 said:

Has anyone managed to get past act 2?

Any tips?

Ninja_gaiden3_001.png

You can see what stage we reached on the game over screen. It looks like two of us reached act 7 and someone else reached act 3. I only got so far because I'm a big fan of the series and I've already played it a ton.

So, I can finish the game now, but once you beat the final, final, FINAL boss (its one of those) you don't see your score again, best I can tell.   So here's my score just before fighting the boss today. (edit:  I didn't beat the game during this run, so no final boss points were added to that)

Great game, overall.  I think the gameplay is a bit above the original, but I personally prefer the setting and bosses of Part 1.  

NGIII_880400.jpg.188495b3034ac6409c158d8f338e7b8a.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Frozone212 said:

Has anyone managed to get past act 2?

Any tips?

Any specific spot in Act 2 that has you stuck? 

For me, personally, it just became a lot of playing until muscle memory takes over (like many of the games of this era) and you're able to anticipate what's coming up, allowing you to be in the right spot when enemies come on screen instead of trying to react.

Also, much of the game seems pretty nice about giving you just the right special weapon for what's about to happen. Don't waste them, but no need to be stingy with them either.  They can make a rough spot feel like you're on super easy mode.   Act 2, for example -- 2-1 gives you Fire Wheel just in time to toast the flying enemies that spawn so you only need to focus on quicksand and those grounded things.   at the end of 2-2B, you'll get Fire Dragon Balls (so you can shoot down) right as there are some enemies below you.  One shot and you're done.   2-2C, you're climbing up, so you'll get the Fire Wheel again, making that section pretty effortless.

• Like 1

Pic shows my score right before fighting the final boss.  The game adds a lot after beating it, but I wasn't able to get a pic.

This actually bums me out a little, because I realize if I had beaten the boss on my previously posted run, the points added would likely have kicked it past the one million mark, so I'm curious to see if it maxes at all 9s, rolls over, crashes game, etc.  And getting back to that score is unlikely because I'd probably have to die in key parts and/or point press to get back to that score.  I blew it  ?

NGIII_824100.jpg.a775677554f7477238572c680daf7d2d.jpg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

the points added would likely have kicked it past the one million mark, so I'm curious to see if it maxes at all 9s, rolls over, crashes game, etc. 

I found the answer, it just flips over.  I played again and got 27,800 after the score rolled over.  Not a legit score for this, though, because I exploited some intentional deaths and 1-up loops to make it happen, but was just curious.  I finally think I'm done with it for a bit.

Funny thing about this game is, I can now run through it much easier than I ever could NG 1.  In part 1, I could run through pretty much flawless until the last level or so, and then it was a struggle for me.   I could likely no-death run this one if it weren't for some bullcrap timer issues that get me.

I think that's one of my favorite things about games like this, regarding difficulty.   Such an awesome feeling to start at "this feels impossible..." and end up at "The enemies probably hear boss music and crap themselves when they see me, now"

• Haha 1

On 6/12/2022 at 7:34 PM, Frozone212 said:

I know a fun one: Tengen Mrs Pac man (Speed booster, get to change mazes etc)

I agree.  We played the strange setting just 18 months ago, which is pretty recent in HSC time, so it's not going to come back any time soon.  However, feel free to post a score to the game thread if you want to and I'll put it on the scoreboard.

AtariAge Ms Pac-Man Thread

Ms. Pac-Man High Scores

18 hours ago, Frozone212 said:

Btw, on emulators, the top and sides of the screen are corrupted. Any ideas?

Mesen is to my knowledge considered to be the gold standard for NES emulation.  I recommend trying that first.  If you're still having issues then the rom file is probably bad.  You can use Mesen to verify whether you have a good rom file.

To do so, start the game in the emulator. Next, open the Tools menu and click "Log Window".  At the top of the window you'll see "File CRC32:" followed by a hexadecimal number.  This number should be 0xBD0E29B3.  If it's not, the rom file is bad.

mesen hit an error before I could screenshot.

Got to the cave, but I refuse to go any further.

How the living hell do I get past a scrolling stage while enemies are trying to kill me?

It's like they played ghostbusters and thought the stair stage wasn't hard enough.

I vote something easy next round. Let's do Chip and Dale rescue rangers or wheel of fortune or Jeapordy or maybe monopoly.

I wasn't born with mad skills. I can't go any further and the blame falls squarely on the devs for making this series needlessly hard.

14 hours ago, Frozone212 said:

and the blame falls squarely on the devs for making this series needlessly hard.

Yep.   The should have left all those pesky enemies out.   And add some damn safety rails to those platforms, for cryin' out loud, before someone falls and hurts themselves!  State department run out of budget in that world or something?  Jeez...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4