IGNORED

Vectrex Overlays - 1€ cost. Homemade. Cheap.

Onlyfordj

Hello!!
I recently purchased a multirom cartridge for my Vectrex and now I'm about to make the overlays.
I have seen that there are reproductions of several colleagues in the forum and sales through ebay... but I wanted something that was really cheap.

After looking for the necessary materials and my almost zero knowledge of printing and image modification, here is my first overlay.
Doing calculations... I can say that each overlay costs €1

Materials: Color/laser printer (I think we all have some kind of printer), laminating machine, transparent printable sheets, sheets for the laminator, cutex, scissors and ruler.
You must have a home laminating machine (the cheapest on Amazon €20).
Remember: I have looked for the cheapest way possible to make an overlay that does its job. It is normal, that with other higher quality materials... the result will be better. But I assure you that with the cost of €1 you can already play.
Printer consumption (ink): €0.15/overlay
Transparent sheet: €0.70/sheet
Laminating sheet: €0.15/sheet
(Left Homemade / Right Original)

IMG20220605203513.jpg

Edited by Onlyfordj
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Onlyfordj said:

Hello!!

I recently purchased a multirom cartridge for my Vectrex and now I'm about to make the overlays.

I have seen that there are reproductions of several colleagues in the forum and sales through ebay... but I wanted something that was really cheap.

After looking for the necessary materials and my almost zero knowledge of printing and image modification, here is my first overlay.

Materials: Color/laser printer (I think we all have some kind of printer), laminating machine, transparent printable sheets, sheets for the laminator, cutex, scissors and ruler.

Remember: I have looked for the cheapest way possible to make an overlay that does its job. It is normal, that with other higher quality materials... the result will be better. But I assure you that with the cost of €1 you can already play.

IMG20220605203513.jpg

They look great from the picture. What was the process you followed to get the right colours/size?

• Like 1

I have collected the overlays  the internet.
Almost all of them are posted on one web page or another.
I have taken the ones that had the best quality, I have gone through Photoshop (color leveling) and the size is standard for all the overlays (16.20 cm wide x 20.70 cm high)

Is this what you ask? :)

8 hours ago, Onlyfordj said:

Hello!!

(Left Homemade / Right Original)

IMG20220605203513.jpg

Nice work so far.

But it looks as if you might have forgotten the opaque portion of the Vectrex overlay.

Ideally, the opaque part of the overlay would be a screen printed layer on the back.

But since you went with the lamination method then may just as a easy to place in the middle of the overlay layers. Might also help to stiffen the overlay. Laminated Vectrex overlay are definitely more flimsy-floppy than the originals. And that leads to the overlay not staying in place as well.

Question,,, Do your laminated Vectrex overalys fit into the four (4) overlay retention clips on the Vectrex screen bezel?

Edited by Vectrexer

28 minutes ago, Vectrexer said:

Nice work so far.

But it looks as if you might have forgotten the opaque portion of the Vectrex overlay.

Ideally, the opaque part of the overlay would be a screen printed layer on the back.

But since you went with the lamination method then may just as a easy to place in the middle of the overlay layers. Might also help to stiffen the overlay. Laminated Vectrex overlay are definitely more flimsy-floppy than the originals. And that leads to the overlay not staying in place as well.

Question,,, Do your laminated Vectrex overalys fit into the four (4) overlay retention clips on the Vectrex screen bezel?

Hello. 
Sorry, I don't understand you correctly.
My language is not English and I have trouble understanding the words.
I use google translate.

This is the back, put the white color so that it is not transparent.

Do you mean that?

Yes, it fits perfectly in the four retention clips that the vectrex has.
Remember that all this is done with limited resources to obtain a very cheap overlay that does its job.

IMG20220606203644.jpg

IMG20220606204553.jpg

IMG20220606204559.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 6/6/2022 at 11:54 AM, Onlyfordj said:

Hello. 
Sorry, I don't understand you correctly.
My language is not English and I have trouble understanding the words.
I use google translate.

This is the back, put the white color so that it is not transparent.

Do you mean that?

Yes, it fits perfectly in the four retention clips that the vectrex has.

Remember that all this is done with limited resources to obtain a very cheap overlay that does its job.

IMG20220606203644.jpg

IMG20220606204553.jpg

IMG20220606204559.jpg

Very nice on all responses. 

Thanks for the extra pics.

And yes, the white opaque for the back layer of the original overlay is the point of question I had about your overlay having some sort of layer that blocked light. 

• 3 weeks later...

how fuzzy is the view through the main transparent part?  Most home printers and standard inks tend to be somewhat fuzzy compared to semi-transparent materials such as stage light filters. And what may look like strong colour when laid flat on white paper often appears washed-out when lit from behind by bright vectors on the Vectrex...

fuzzy.jpg

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, mikesk8 said:

Cool! Where do you sell them? I would be potentially interested ;-) Thanks!

Just to note, he said 'cost' not 'price' 🙂  I think he's saying he makes them for himself and that's how much it costs him.  I don't think he's selling them at a Euro each.   btw I think he's in Spain - I remember reading his posts on a Spanish board last year ... yes, found it: https://www.va-de-retro.com/foros/viewtopic.php?p=183951 so postage to the US for a cheap home-made overlay would be excessive.

On 10/31/2023 at 5:56 PM, mikesk8 said:

Cool! Where do you sell them? I would be potentially interested ;-) Thanks!

22 hours ago, gtoal said:

Just to note, he said 'cost' not 'price' 🙂  I think he's saying he makes them for himself and that's how much it costs him.  I don't think he's selling them at a Euro each.   btw I think he's in Spain - I remember reading his posts on a Spanish board last year ... yes, found it: https://www.va-de-retro.com/foros/viewtopic.php?p=183951 so postage to the US for a cheap home-made overlay would be excessive.

Hello.

Sorry, I make it at home for myself. In the first post there is a small explanation of what materials I use. They are all very cheap.

Yes, I am from Spain, that post is mine showing my progress in making overlays in that forum.

But cheer up, I make them at home. It's very easy to do.

I will post a lot more soon!!!