IGNORED

Edladdin Super Combo with Defender

I recently received an Edladdin Super Combo Controller (switchable between Colecovision and Atari 7800 game play), which so far is excellent, although I haven't tried using it yet on my 7800. I've gone through quite a bit of my collection of Colecovision games and the precision is a vast improvement over the originals and the Super Action Controllers as well. I also really like the ability to use all four buttons more easily, even though none of the games I've played so far USE the extra buttons.

In the (distant) past, I always really enjoyed playing the Coin Op Defender, but never really liked this game on the Colecovision due to what I considered was a crippled control scheme, like most, if not all, home game console versions. This is a game that pretty much requires a full (or substantially similar) arrangement of the coin op, in my opinion.

However, I was actually enjoying playing it on my Colecovision, for once, until my unit started displaying some disturbing behavior. Intermittently, the joystick would not move the ship left or right or up or down. It would work for a bit, then not for a bit, then work, then not work. I've been using mostly real cartridges, so I decided to test the game using my Atarimax Ultimate SD cart and it seems to work beautifully, so there must be something wrong with my Defender cartridge. I'm going to be cleaning it, but this led me to two questions:

1) Is there a known issue with Defender, or with Atarisoft cartridges going bad? I don't want to buy a replacement cartridge if there's a good chance of bit rot.

2) Has anyone ever hacked Defender to allow control with all four buttons to allow game play more similar to the arcade game layout?

• 2 weeks later...

I just wrote a review of my Edladdin controller on the Atariage store, but I thought I'd also post it here also:

I've had my eye on an Edladdin controller for several years, and was recently, finally able to pull the trigger in the budget department.  I was pleasantly surprised to see the new Super Combo Arcade Controller available with ambidextrous control, plus it allows playing a 7800/2600 as well.  I also ordered a couple of extra DB9 extension cords.

I had it in my hands about three weeks after ordering.  Very professionally packed and shipped.  It's working great and I've had loads of fun playing Q*bert, Frenzy, Lady Bug, Cosmic Avenger and several other games that always seemed to be a bit frustrating with the standard controllers.  Scores are higher and many fewer mistakes with the joystick.  It's also great being able to press two fire buttons side by side rather than the cumbersome standard arrangement.  Playing Mouse Trap is a real pleasure, and I must say it's the first time I actually enjoyed playing Defender on the Colecovision.  Most importantly, Pepper II and Steamroller, my two favorite games on the system, are fantastic.

At first, I had trouble getting the buttons to work in Colecovision mode (there's a switch on the back that switches between Colecovision mode and 7800/2600 mode) and in debugging my problem, noticed that most of the DB9 extension cords I received had been slightly modified by slicing about 1/16 inch off the end of the male connector (slightly extending the conductors), so that these fit a little bit deeper into the female connectors on the back of the controller.  One of the DB9 extension cords I received had not been modified and apparently the buttons were not connecting electrically.  Once I figured this out, rather than return the cord for replacement, I just used my trusty rotary tool to fix the issue and it works fine now.

My next task was to test out the 7800 side.  Some of those 7800 games are far superior with this controller, including Xevious, Desert Falcon, and Asteroids.  And my favorite 2600 games play much better also, including Jr Pac-man, Turmoil, River Raid, Moon Patrol, Berzerk, and Galaxian.

One thing I noticed is you can't keep the controller connected to both the 7800 and Colecovision at the same time.  Even when the 7800 is turned off and unconnected to the TV or power outlet, the joystick does not work correctly on the Colecovision unless you physically disconnect the cord to the 7800, regardless of the position of the Colecovision/7800 switch on the back of the controller.  Interestingly, however, it DOES work in 7800 mode with both consoles connected.

I also included a couple of Seagull 78 Controller Adapters and have tested these with various Genesis game pads and they've all worked flawlessly.  I'm particularly interested in an auto-fire function provided by some game pads and joysticks.  This is one feature that might be nice to include in a future Edladdin controller.

To summarize; I've been playing every day now for a couple of weeks and I'm really happy with the Super Combo Arcade Controller.  Highly recommended!

Edited by fiddlepaddle
typo
  • Like 1