IGNORED

New demo; Castlevania

Thelen

3 hours ago, miker said:

Meanwhile, try @Kjmann's version.

Yes, also a very nice version - if that's no problem for @Kjmann and it's available of course 🙂

Now I'm a bit curious, @Kjmann's version is done in 2008, and your's(miker) could be reserved- are there, or were there already plans for another 'Castlevania' clone? (i've seen a youtube a test version for the native Atari 8 bit line)

And I'm also very curious about how the track will sound with added percussion @Synthpopalooza on the double Pokey (and I don't mean that you have to rush- please take your time! 🙂 )

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Thelen said:

Now I'm a bit curious, @Kjmann's version is done in 2008, and your's(miker) could be reserved- are there, or were there already plans for another 'Castlevania' clone? (i've seen a youtube a test version for the native Atari 8 bit line)

TBH there are plans (rather future ones but still). So sorry for giving you appetite.

And if you are talking about this one: 

no, definitely no! :)

Edited by miker
typo

1 hour ago, Thelen said:

And I'm also very curious about how the track will sound with added percussion @Synthpopalooza on the double Pokey (and I don't mean that you have to rush- please take your time! 🙂 )

I actually thought about doing a second version after I finish this one ... on the second version, I want to get into the more exotic settings.  In particular, this distortion 2 hi-pass guitar which will make it sound like a Yamaha chip ... with double POKEY we can do a double harmony with it ... should be fun.

EDIT:  A couple of examples of this sound, used in actual projects ...

https://m.facebook.com/watch/?v=1398890010504502&_rdr (area 1 theme)

In the exo music ... there are two distinct timbres available with the 2 distortion guitar, and I can put in some echo fx too

exo-area1.xex abbayes-chase.xex

Edited by Synthpopalooza
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, miker said:

TBH there are plans (rather future ones but still). So sorry for giving you appetite.

haha 🙂 Glad to hear there are future plans, People asked if could do a non-vbxe version - and I was thinking about it as a nice challenge, but a vbxe version isn't easily 'just' conversed to a native version 🙂

16 hours ago, Synthpopalooza said:

I actually thought about doing a second version after I finish this one ... on the second version, I want to get into the more exotic settings.  In particular, this distortion 2 hi-pass guitar which will make it sound like a Yamaha chip ... with double POKEY we can do a double harmony with it ... should be fun.

Yes, very cool!

16 hours ago, Synthpopalooza said:

In the exo music ... there are two distinct timbres available with the 2 distortion guitar, and I can put in some echo fx too

exo-area1.xex 3.75 kB · 2 downloads abbayes-chase.xex 1.85 kB · 4 downloads

Very nice - Mysterious, and creepy (abbayes)!

14 hours ago, Thelen said:

haha 🙂 Glad to hear there are future plans, People asked if could do a non-vbxe version - and I was thinking about it as a nice challenge, but a vbxe version isn't easily 'just' conversed to a native version 🙂

I for one am in favour of more projects like this that involve graphics upgrades like the VBXE and the Sophia 2.  Besides, what you've done looks absolutely terrific. 

• Like 1

OK, the level 1 theme, NES style, is complete.  As before, play in double POKEY, mono mixdown.

All but the last POKEY channel on POKEY 2 (reserved for game sfx) are used.  Settings map:

POKEY1:

AUDCTL=$78

00 and 01 - $Ax bass 16-bit

02 and 03 - $Cx 16-bit lead sound

POKEY2:

00 and 01 - $Cx 16-bit harmony

02: $8x percussion

03: free for game sfx

---

Next step:  I will do a revised theme using more advanced POKEY settings.  Something like:

POKEY1:

AUDCTL=$65 (Hi pass 0 and 2, clock 0 and 2 at 1.79 mhz, base clock 15 khz)

00 and 02:  $2x hi-pass guitar

01: $Cx bass @15khz, stable

03: free for low pitched game sfx

POKEY2:

AUDCTL=$64 (Hi pass 0 and 2, clock 0 and 2 at 1.79 mhz, base clock standard 64 khz)

00 and 02: $2x hi-pass guitar, harmony

01: $8x percussion

03: free for normal pitched game sfx

We shall see ... the bass will be much lower than the NES version for sure.  When using 15 khz, C distortion bass is always the smooth bass, and remains stable regardless of polycounters.

cv-area1.asm cv-area1.obx cv-area1.s

Edited by Synthpopalooza
  • Like 6

• 1 month later...

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing an Exclusive WIP Update of CastleVania/AtariVania as part of its Halloween Homebrew Special on tomorrow's stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Mon Oct 31, 2022 | LIVE @ 7PM PT | 10PM ET | 2AM GMT+1Day (NOTE SPECIAL DAY & TIME)

WATCH LIVE: https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/
WATCH LATER: https://youtube.com/zeropagehomebrew/

Games:

(WATCH AT 1080P60 FOR BEST QUALITY)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

A little update about the Castlevania VBXE project in the dark the december days;

-Added Synthpopalooza's great new composed Castlevania song (For dual pokey 8 channel sound)

-Added new graphics to the project, and stage 0-1 + a part of stage 1-1

-Simon can walk the stairs; you can take the stairs if you're in front of stairs by holding the desired direction and press the stick up or down. In front of a stair the stick

up or down doesn't jump or duck - it lets you take the stairs

-Simon has gravity and walks really in the level etc.

-updated a lot of routines (to load data directly to vbxe from disk and routines to check for collisions/tiles etc)

-added VBXE detection (thanks to Candle his scroller example and others)

Of course it's still unpolished and still a WIP 🙂

CastlevaniaVBXE.atr

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

5 hours ago, Thelen said:

A little update about the Castlevania VBXE project in the dark the december days;

-Added Synthpopalooza's great new composed Castlevania song (For dual pokey 8 channel sound)

-Simon can walk the stairs; you can take the stairs if you're in front of stairs by holding the desired direction and press the stick up or down. In front of a stair the stick

-updated a lot of routines (to load data directly to vbxe from disk and routines to check for collisions/tiles etc)

CastlevaniaVBXE.atr 179.64 kB · 42 downloads

Awesome advance !

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Thelen said:

CastlevaniaVBXE.atr 179.64 kB · 72 downloads

Mare you using NES code as basis? Or do you code it from scratch?

or wasn’t there a c64 version?

@Thelen Great work so far.

I am wondering (and excuse my terminology), but will the basic codebase of what you are coding translate to a stock non VBXE code that could potentially "hypothetically" be used?

I am just wondering how a non VBXE version, (128K), might work - hypothetically of course.

It's great there is some interest in coding some new stuff for VBXE. I saw some Silly Venture Winter edition VBXE demos which look great and of course there is Shanti's work on Gacek and Commando too.

47 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

Great work so far.

I am wondering (and excuse my terminology), but will the basic codebase of what you are coding translate to a stock non VBXE code that could potentially "hypothetically" be used?

Thank you!

I have thought about that too, and I think that it can be done - The basics of the game will operate for about thesame. To change all the gfx drawing stuff will take some(lot) work and adaption. I've also got some request why not to do this game for a 'standard' A8 - and that's a good question off course- and did doubt me to stop the VBXE version and adapt and continue it for the standard A8 system.

Probably at this moment it will be quicker to use the c64 or Nes code and convert it, like Shanti's great work on c64's Commando for the VBXE A8. Offcourse if I'm using my code it will be easier because I know how everythings works and did for the first time a lot of commenting (because I now that over 10 years I don't understand my own code anymore 🙂 )

P.s...
I heard some rumours about there were people working on a native A8 version (earlier in this thread)

• Like 2

On 12/14/2022 at 11:35 AM, Thelen said:

CastlevaniaVBXE.atr 179.64 kB · 119 downloads

Technically 7 channel.  I left one channel free for game sfx.  ;)

• Haha 1

• 11 months later...

It's almost a year ago since my latest update, It's been a busy year... But I haven't abandoned the project 🙂
I've updated the graphics to make more use of the VBXE capabiities -and use the Sharp X68000 version as inspirer, here's some footage of the latest demo. Well, still enough work to do 🙂

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Looking great!

Looks like you're using ANTIC graphics for the background and VBXE for the foreground? I suppose that's faster than blitting both background and foreground using the VBXE and disabling ANTIC? Would that be true even if you used X-scaling in the blit to get the same pixel size as ANTIC mode E?

• Like 1