IGNORED

HSC19 R9: FINAL LEGACY

:thumbsup:

tables corrected above.

Great, am playing on Level 2 now, long time no play and nice to get into something, just need to figure out how to complete the level, do I wait for the other cities to respawn, can't seem to kill off all the ships on the map. Figured out how to top up the fuel (might pause now and read up!!!)...

READ IT FOLKS -  on level 2+ there are 4-14 sites hidden from view that appear when you sink enemy intelligence ships LOL (ships on right hand side of screen)

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-final-legacy_1969.html

;)

oooh you can use Trak-Ball on port 2 for the "Sea to Air mode"

Well that was a jolly exciting read, now I'm going to finish my go!

Level 2 - 93,350 (1) shown.

Fandal's (file) version also doesn't have the status bar text, just icons? Difference between cart and other versions - assuming was released on disk/tape also...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

READ IT FOLKS -  on level 2+ there are 4-14 sites hidden from view that appear when you sink enemy intelligence ships LOL (ships on right hand side of screen)

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-final-legacy_1969.html

;)

I can't stress this enough - my first game on L2 I didn't know this, and realized that even waiting until the hidden bases fire (and they will) doesn't let you attack them.  You have to sink an intelligence ship, and not every intelligence ship reveals a location either (or I assume they all  don't - I was focusing on ships on the right side but maybe had to sink 2 before it revealed a spot?)

Finished Level 2 with 297,025!  I actually enjoyed this a lot more as I've had no trouble beating Level 1.  The fact you have to fight the ships to (evenually) reveal the hidden (4) bases makes for a much more tense game.

Note also that you will have to refuel on the higher levels.  Bring your ship close to a home city and bring up the sea-to-ground screen.  If you don't see a fuel icon in the bar then you're not going to be able to refuel.  In cities with the icon, navigate until you find the city and it turns to pink (NTSC), and you'll see fuel being added.  DON'T HIT FIRE to leave screen as it won't work anyway and you don't want to destroy your city!  You need to use space here for sure.

BTW:  On the XEGS game by game podcast from a few months ago they covered Final Legacy, and the icons are the XEGS version.  If I remember the podcast correctly, Atari didn't want it to be English text because then it could only be sold in English speaking countries.  And since the icons are so large they had to go with an inline display of them (LEFT UP DOWN RIGHT) as opposed to what they could do with just text (which was more easily display which direction did what)

On to Level 3!

Final Legacy L2.jpg

Edited by 8BIT 1337
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, AtariSphinx said:

Tried level 3 but died with 4 enemy sites left (all hidden) and 155,625 points.   Much more difficult than level 2 but it looks doable with a good strategy.

I agree 100%.  Just finished my first game on L3 and I ran out of gas because I got so hung up hunting ships to discover where the last 2-3 sites were left. 

144800 was my score.

It's the first time I've missed anything in the sea-to-air portion (and I got the zoom in redo where I was able to polish off the 3 that I had missed)

If I play this on my own in the future I would definitely play L2 or L3.  I'll try L6 at some point but I can't imagine how hard that must be LOL - you're a crazy gamer @therealbountybob ?

• Like 2

I just now realized that when you are in ship-to-ship combat you will see 1-3 stars (unless you're playing the earlier version that has text for navigation options).

I'm assuming 3 stars is a war ship (defeating it reduces your own ship damage by 5%), 2 stars are hunters, and the 1 star ships are the intelligence ships. And straight from the manual, you only have an 80% chance of revealing a hidden site when you destroy an intelligence ship (which explains what I saw in my L2 game previously).  I'd be a lot happier if it was 100%!  This game is hard enough on L3, with 7 hidden sites to find that's a lot of ship-to-ship combat unless you get lucky!

• Like 1

L3 has been beaten!  384,975

I confirmed that the 1 star ships are the intelligence ships, which honestly made the game less frustrating for me.  Without knowing that fact I was blowing up ships and then getting frustrated that no new sites were displayed.  In this game I think I had to shoot 8 total in order to reveal the 7 hidden sites on L3, but fought way more than 8 ships.

(I find myself hating the 2 star ships because they're just points!)

Unlike with L2 though, parts of my cities definitely got shelled.

Mostly you have to resign yourself to the fact that when you go to sea-to-ground combat that you won't necessarily get all 4 sites on your first go.  Unlike with Level 1, you have to use the space bar to bring up the menu or you'll lose cities for sure, but every site you kill means 2 less missiles launched at your cities next time they fire so try to get at least 1 or 2 before going sea-to-air to save your cities. 

I'm not sure if I'll try L4 next or just try L6 to see just how hard it is LOL

(EDIT:  89100 on L6.  Um yeah, you can only have like 400 units of gas, and you only see 2 sites to start, and there are about a 1000 ships roaming the seas.  Definitely on the 'hard' side.  I'll see how L4 goes but L6 is not my cup of tea ? )

Final Legacy L3.jpg

Final Legacy L6.jpg

Edited by 8BIT 1337
  • Like 3

Good posts above, yes just spotted the 1-3 star meant ship type.

Played on level 1 today - after completing a "round" the black screen shows with your bonus and asks you to press [Option] which starts another round which is harder, but not the same as level 2 etc, i think as there were no hidden bases - anyone? Wonder if it goes on indefinitely?

My score was 132,400 then 275,540 then 401,700 then finally 480,175 I didn't complete the 4th round: after destroying the bases I was desrtoying various ships hoping to end the round. The instructions mention a certain number of each ship type must be destroyed, wonder if this was the same as level 4 though I killed lots of each type.... :ponder:

Slighly longer round than ususal so we have plenty of time left :!:

1 hour ago, therealbountybob said:

Good posts above, yes just spootted the 1-3 star meant ship type.

Played on level 1 today - after completing a "round" the black screen shows with your bonus and asks you to press [Option] which starts another round which is harder, but not the same as level 2 etc, i think as there were no hidden bases - anyone? Wonder if it goes on indefinitely?

My score was 132,400 then 275,540 then 401,700 then finally 480,175 I didn't complete the 4th round: after destroying the bases I was desrtoying various ships hoping to end the round. The instructions mention a certain number of each ship type must be destroyed, wonder if this was the same as level 4 though I killed lots of each type.... :ponder:

Slighly longer round than ususal so we have plenty of time left :!:

OMG I have obviously seen that Option screen many times, but never even thought about continuing.  I will definitely give a try.

My guess is that you needed to find more 1 star ships in order to reveal more hidden bases, but I won't know until I try (which I will at some point this weekend).  It does seem kinda silly that I assumed the game was over after 'winning', because you only ever see the actual words "game over" on the main screen.

• Like 1

Well I have to stop for a bit for a father's day lunch, but I've confirmed that the scores wrapped after a million points.  I'm going to come back to this game but my scores after each round:

I will eventually die, as I can't keep up with the missiles, but I've still got plenty of gas and I'm only like 8% damaged

(EDIT, as I came back to game after lunch)

So it looks like I made it to round 15 in total. Obviously the bonuses get smaller as I have less and less cities over time, but I did get actually start getting better at defending them as the game went on.  I was hoping to die by running out of gas but there were a lot of enemy ships and they eventually caught up to me

PXL_20220619_180218938.jpg

Edited by 8BIT 1337
  • Like 1

Ok, so finally I reached the black screen of victory (BSOV) as well.

112925 pts on level 1

final-legacy-112925-lvl1.thumb.jpg.7666d61f3e5a8b681f1139dd04508761.jpg

I'll see if I try the later levels too. While I kind of understand the motives for this game now, I can imagine other games to play in my spare time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, carlsson said:

112925 pts on level 1

final-legacy-112925-lvl1.thumb.jpg.7666d61f3e5a8b681f1139dd04508761.jpg

I'll see if I try the later levels too. While I kind of understand the motives for this game now, I can imagine other games to play in my spare time.

And what we just discovered above is that if you hit option here you go to round 2 of level 1.  Gradually things get faster, but you never have to destroy more than 8 bases and they were never hidden.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 8BIT 1337 said:

Well I have to stop for a bit for a father's day lunch, but I've confirmed that the scores wrapped after a million points.  I'm going to come back to this game but my scores after each round:

I will eventually die, as I can't keep up with the missiles, but I've still got plenty of gas and I'm only like 8% damaged

(EDIT, as I came back to game after lunch)

So it looks like I made it to round 15 in total. Obviously the bonuses get smaller as I have less and less cities over time, but I did get actually start getting better at defending them as the game went on.  I was hoping to die by running out of gas but there were a lot of enemy ships and they eventually caught up to me

that's some going 8BIT 1337 :thumbsup: :-o

5 hours ago, 8BIT 1337 said:

Here's the wrapped score (I imagine it's impossible for a score so low after a round:

perhaps bonus was reduced re time taken :ponder:

4 hours ago, carlsson said:

112925 pts on level 1

:thumbsup:

2 hours ago, 8BIT 1337 said:

And what we just discovered above is that if you hit option here you go to round 2 of level 1.  Gradually things get faster, but you never have to destroy more than 8 bases and they were never hidden.

For limited play might be worth trying to complete the first round on each of the six levels rather than playing through level 1 for a lot of rounds, up to you guys -  I'll dish out some bonus points either way!

Will start the next poll in a couple of days!

On 6/16/2022 at 4:44 PM, 8BIT 1337 said:

L3 has been beaten!  384,975

Also beaten level 3, well the first round at least before I was destroyed.

278,750 final score 307,225 with 9 bases left to find and destroy!

Think level 3 is approaching and perhaps 4 will be "the sweet spot" where you have to break off [Space] to zap the missile barrage mid city destroy depending on time / the location they are fired at. Sometimes they all launch like crazy not sure why this is. Also the harder difficulty reduces game time overall which is welcome.

next poll think I will add a batch of more unusual picks :idea:

On 6/19/2022 at 4:47 PM, therealbountybob said:

For limited play might be worth trying to complete the first round on each of the six levels rather than playing through level 1 for a lot of rounds, up to you guys -  I'll dish out some bonus points either way!

I'm definitely going to try Level 5.  I'm pretty sure I have a picture of my Level 4 attempt but can't remember if I posted it.

I do agree that going one round on each level is more interesting overall, as 15 rounds was a bit much ?

After I've done that I might try to see how far I can get on Level 2.  I don't know I'd ever play level 1 again unless someone beat my score, and even then I'm not sure I'd bother ?

17 minutes ago, 8BIT 1337 said:

I'm definitely going to try Level 5.  I'm pretty sure I have a picture of my Level 4 attempt but can't remember if I posted it.

I do agree that going one round on each level is more interesting overall, as 15 rounds was a bit much ?

After I've done that I might try to see how far I can get on Level 2.  I don't know I'd ever play level 1 again unless someone beat my score, and even then I'm not sure I'd bother ?

which leads to the big question - can a level be beaten?! and some smaller ones..  Is there a secret end of game message/screen, does level 1 ever turn into level 2... has anyone ever tried it with the Trak-Ball (on port 2) :idea:

OK I didn't have the Level 4 picture I took so I just played it again, as well as Level 5.

L4: 175025

L5: 180525

I don't really understand why, but L5 seemed to be basically the same as L4, if not a little easier?  And I don't think it's because I played L4 first or anything like that.  I swear that damage from enemy ships was 8% on level 4 and 7% on level 5, but regardless, both seem particularly beyond my reach to finish a round in (unlike Level 3, which is very challenging but doable)

In general, it seems to me at the sea-to-air starts off relatively slowly compared to how it ends within a round.  At the beginning of L4 and L5 I felt like I could catch all 8 missiles out of the air, but as each round went on it became more and more difficult.  And in both cases what really does me in is ship damage, because there are so many of them and when like 5+ missile sites launch at once you are forced to go sea-to-air, while the ships around you get in several free 7-8% hits.

Final Legacy L5.jpg

Final Legacy L4.jpg

Edited by 8BIT 1337
Forgot to add photos :)
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, 8BIT 1337 said:

OK I didn't have the Level 4 picture I took so I just played it again, as well as Level 5.

L4: 175025

L5: 180525

I don't really understand why, but L5 seemed to be basically the same as L4, if not a little easier?  And I don't think it's because I played L4 first or anything like that.  I swear that damage from enemy ships was 8% on level 4 and 7% on level 5, but regardless, both seem particularly beyond my reach to finish a round in (unlike Level 3, which is very challenging but doable)

In general, it seems to me at the sea-to-air starts off relatively slowly compared to how it ends within a round.  At the beginning of L4 and L5 I felt like I could catch all 8 missiles out of the air, but as each round went on it became more and more difficult.  And in both cases what really does me in is ship damage, because there are so many of them and when like 5+ missile sites launch at once you are forced to go sea-to-air, while the ships around you get in several free 7-8% hits.

hopefully I'lll play some L4 today! Perhaps you need to park yourself somewhere safe to keep the ships off and then shoot down the missiles... NO PRESSURE THEN!!! Also perhaps Trak-Ball comes into play here... will hook that up too :cool:

shall we let carlsson back on the tables? :P

THE FINAL LEGACY

corrected first tables !!

1st   8BIT 1337                  1,825,425  12pts
  2nd   therealbountybob       480,175  11pts
  3rd   McKong                     190,200  10pts
  4th   AtariSphinx                177,550  9pts
  5th   MichaG                     168,250  8pts
  6th   chevymad                   167,725  7pts
  7th   Deteacher                  116,600  6pts
  8th   carlsson                   112,925  5pts

#NTSC Bonus point will add at end of round!

Bonus - play on skill levels 2-6

and if you've not been paying attention hidden bases are discovered by sinking the 1 star ships!

possibly use the ranking points shown below to allocate bonus HSC points at the end of the round :idea:

Level 2
  1st   8BIT 1337                 297,025    30
  2nd   AtariSphinx               276,400    29
  3rd   therealbountybob        93,350    28

Level 3
  1st   8BIT 1337                  384,975    30
  2nd   therealbountybob       307,225    29
  3rd   AtariSphinx                155,625    28

Level 4
  1st   8BIT 1337                  175,025    30

Level 5
  1st   8BIT 1337                  180,525    30

Level 6
  1st   8BIT 1337                   89,100    30
  2nd   therealbountybob         59,100    29

Reminder this round ends 28th July and the Round 10 POLL is OPEN :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

hopefully I'lll play some L4 today! Perhaps you need to park yourself somewhere safe to keep the ships off and then shoot down the missiles... NO PRESSURE THEN!!! Also perhaps Trak-Ball comes into play here... will hook that up too :cool:

The challenge is learning when to expect one, so you don't get caught!  Most of the time this happened and really hurt me is when I was out to destroy a site.  It seems impossible to clear them all away as they keep respawning, and by being near a site you're obviously also close to a spawn point.

That definitely feels like the right strategy on the harder levels though.  In general you need to be more patient, unlike level 1 where you can really just sail from site to site to blow them up, you barely need to worry about other ships at all.

• Like 1

New high score for Level 2:  926,350 (round 4)

(I jinxed myself by taking a picture just prior to this, thinking that if I rolled it over I wouldn't get much further, and wanted as much 'proof' as I can get, not that I think anybody really cheats LOL)

An observation:  the sea-to-air started *painfully* slow, but gets faster each time you go to that screen.  So although on the harder levels I had been trying to get just 2 sites before going sea-to-air, and then going back a 2nd time to blow up the last sites, going sea-to-air more frequently makes it more difficult *much* faster.

This time out I definitely ignored sea-to-air if I was under direct ship-to-ship attack.  I would have died much sooner had I focused on the cities being bombarded, so as hard as it is to let cities get nuked, your game will last longer if you do.

This was also the first time I managed to switch back to the nav view and see the mushroom cloud.  "fun" :)

Final Legacy L2.jpg

Edited by 8BIT 1337
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, 8BIT 1337 said:

New high score for Level 2:  926,350 (round 4)

(I jinxed myself by taking a picture just prior to this, thinking that if I rolled it over I wouldn't get much further, and wanted as much 'proof' as I can get, not that I think anybody really cheats LOL)

An observation:  the sea-to-air started *painfully* slow, but gets faster each time you go to that screen.  So although on the harder levels I had been trying to get just 2 sites before going sea-to-air, and then going back a 2nd time to blow up the last sites, going sea-to-air more frequently makes it more difficult *much* faster.

This time out I definitely ignored sea-to-air if I was under direct ship-to-ship attack.  I would have died much sooner had I focused on the cities being bombarded, so as hard as it is to let cities get nuked, your game will last longer if you do.

This was also the first time I managed to switch back to the nav view and see the mushroom cloud.  "fun" :)

Damn it I missed the mushroon cloud!

Had a decent go on level 4., this is where the game is good and edgy (on PAL at least) but a bit long I think. Was too careless early on with ship damage and have been getting to grips with the Trak-Ball for the missiles - think it will be good once you master it but I wasn't as successful as with the joystick!

145,600 with 7 bases left to flatten!