IGNORED

Astrocade SD cart

evietron

I've received some interest, and I'd like to get my BackBit multi-system cartridge working on the Bally Astrocade.

Feature-wise, it would plug into the expansion port on the back, have a USB port or jumper option for power, play games off a MicroSD card, and it would support RAM expansion & bank-switching ROM.

The actual development of the adapter & software wouldn't take much time but I need to get my hands on a system. I'm even open to taking on one in poor cosmetic condition and/or that needs some repairs. I can trade a BackBit cart w/ adapter and possibly some of my other products as well.

• Like 1

Let me ask around to find you a system.  I have a couple of non-working systems in the garage, but, hmmm, I might have donated them to a buddy for parts.  I'll have to check.  I also have a mostly-working backup system that has some issues loading BASIC programs, so their is something wrong with it, but I'm not sure what it is at all.  However, it does use carts just fine.  Also, feel free to send me a message through AtariAge and maybe we can have a phone call or Zoom meeting this coming week.

Adam

2 hours ago, evietron said:

I've received some interest, and I'd like to get my BackBit multi-system cartridge working on the Bally Astrocade.

Feature-wise, it would plug into the expansion port on the back, have a USB port or jumper option for power, play games off a MicroSD card, and it would support RAM expansion & bank-switching ROM.

The actual development of the adapter & software wouldn't take much time but I need to get my hands on a system. I'm even open to taking on one in poor cosmetic condition and/or that needs some repairs. I can trade a BackBit cart w/ adapter and possibly some of my other products as well.

I've never been a fan of using the expansion port for anything but RAM or a computer expansion module, and certainly not a multicart.  In fact I shot down the idea when I started the 128k Project 10+ years ago to build the first bankswitching cart for the Astrocade.  This fit into a standard cart shell and required no external power.  

As your device is handling much more than just a bankswitched cart I get the need to use it (expansion) but aesthetically I hate the thought of anything hanging off the back.

Keep in mind using the expansion port requires physically breaking off a part of the Astrocade case which doesn't go back on, so some people may take issue with that.  

Maybe someone with 3D printing experience can come up with a cover for case hole for when your device is disconnected.

I'll look through my collection to see if I have any consoles you can use.

Edited by 128Kgames

10 hours ago, 128Kgames said:

I've never been a fan of using the expansion port for anything but RAM or a computer expansion module, and certainly not a multicart.  In fact I shot down the idea when I started the 128k Project 10+ years ago to build the first bankswitching cart for the Astrocade.  This fit into a standard cart shell and required no external power.  

BackBit does not use standard cart shells due to the adapter system. One notable advantage of using the expansion port is that you have access to the reset pin, which allows you to switch games without physically turning the system off.

As your device is handling much more than just a bankswitched cart I get the need to use it (expansion) but aesthetically I hate the thought of anything hanging off the back.

My adapter would attach at a right angle, so it would be more like hugging the machine than hanging off.

Maybe someone with 3D printing experience can come up with a cover for case hole for when your device is disconnected.

Not a bad idea. I could try and come up with something.

I'll look through my collection to see if I have any consoles you can use.

It would be much appreciated!

Edited by evietron
  • Like 2

Thanks for everybody's interest.

The offers I've received so far and systems on the open market are a bit out of my price range at the moment. I'm open to trades for a BackBit cart & other accessories I sell.

I'm fine with systems that are in need of work or with cosmetic defects.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, evietron said:

Thanks for everybody's interest.

The offers I've received so far and systems on the open market are a bit out of my price range at the moment. I'm open to trades for a BackBit cart & other accessories I sell.

I'm fine with systems that are in need of work or with cosmetic defects.

I'll be packing up the bulk of my Bally / Astrocade collection this weekend, not sure but I may have something you can work with.  The thing with these systems as I'm sure you've found is the ones that work are, well, expensive.  But let me see what I can come up with and then we can go from there.  

I see you have adapters for the Color Computer 2 and 3 - any chance you'll support the original TRS-80 Color Computer?  My uncle a former Raytheon Engineering Manager had one when I was growing up and was kind enough to give it to me during the pandemic, but I've yet to set it up.  

1 hour ago, 128Kgames said:

I'll be packing up the bulk of my Bally / Astrocade collection this weekend, not sure but I may have something you can work with.  The thing with these systems as I'm sure you've found is the ones that work are, well, expensive.  But let me see what I can come up with and then we can go from there.  

I see you have adapters for the Color Computer 2 and 3 - any chance you'll support the original TRS-80 Color Computer?  My uncle a former Raytheon Engineering Manager had one when I was growing up and was kind enough to give it to me during the pandemic, but I've yet to set it up.  

Understood! I just thought it might be possible to help somebody revive a "dead" system. Who knows, maybe some of those custom IC's could do with modern replacements to patch up some sad broken systems.

There's no reason the Color Computer 2/3 adapter wouldn't work with the original CoCo, as the cartridge pinout is the same. I just haven't tested it. Some memory locations may be different, or may not be!