IGNORED

Atari ST specific games?

On 6/13/2022 at 7:15 PM, ColecoGamer said:

Maybe I should shift the focus of the thread to this instead: what game did you play on the ST that made you say, “Wow! Now THIS is why I bought an ST!”

These are the games I want to experience/play.

I hope this makes sense.

For me, the Wow!  I love the ST, software was (after coming from the Atari 8bit):

Little Color Demo - Robb says "Wow!"  (enjoyed the music and the sound bars)

Arkanoid  (use the mouse)

Risk      (this game just works well on the ST)

Sundog Frozen Legacy   (perhaps my favorite overall ST game)

Millennium 2.2    (simple but very atmospheric intro, love the whole game)

Dungeon Master

Bard's Tale

The Union Demo  (it's interactive, not just 'watch and exit')

Gold Runner*

Speedball

Stunt Car Racer

Captain Blood

Carrier Command    (btw the modern remake - CC2 is awesome)

Civilization

I played tons of other RPGs (Phantasie Series, Ultima V, etc. on the ST, but they wouldn't be quite on my "core" ST list).

*I really wish that Yamaha ST soundchip had a 4th channel..    :)

I wouldn't necessarily recommend others play all of these but these were my favs.. 

• Like 1

I played these a lot on my ST: Rainbow Islands (all time favorite game of mine, completed it on multiple platforms - although the game is almost 100% the same on most :), 8bit versions don't count of course ), Turrican 2, Dungeon Master, Supersprint, Carrier Command, Lombard RAC Rally and Pacmania (2nd place on my all time list).

Edited by obermotz
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There are four pieces of software that, when I touched the ST for the first time, gave me the Wow factor:

Sundog

Dungeon Master

sample of Foreign Affair by Mike Oldfield

sample of Oxygene by Jean Michael Jare

Later on, Captain Blood and Arkanoid clone with speech samples (forgot the name unfortunately) looked pretty impressive graphically.

At the end of the day though, IMHO the most impressive software for the ST line is Calamus SL, running on a Moniterm monitor. 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Going back to the 'great ST games you can't play on the Amiga [or couldn't back then]" theme....

Oids and Sundog were definite killer apps for the ST, indeed Dungeon Master remained a killer app for a 512k ST as it needed 1Mb on the Amiga. No wonder FTL were so feted and fabled among ST fans.

Midi Maze is another unique title with nothing similar for years, the ultimate forefather of Deathmatch Doom style games I guess.

Most big companies were making ST games about 12-18 months before they started making Amiga ones, so things like Gauntlet, Enduro Racer, Rana Rama (bundled with the ST for a time), Get Dexter and Where Time Stood Still (an underappreciated classic in my book) and Soloman's Key all had their prettiest version on the ST, at the very least. Also Uridium, but the ST version of that is hideous.

As for later stuff, Son Shu Shi is technically stunning though looks better than it plays - it was meant to get an Amiga version but it went unreleased, though it did leak out a few years ago. And Super Stario Land is a much better Mario clone than any version of Giana, with impressively smooth horizontal scrolling for the ST.

• Like 1