IGNORED

Purgatory (Limbo Themed Pitfall Hack)

LatchKeyKid

Maybe it's a belated observation, but the Limbo game doesn't have a countdown, you have all the time available to finish the game. Have you thought about the possibility of eliminating this countdown?
As an example see this ROM hack of Pitfall without time and with infinite lives.

Pitfall Trainer (Pitfall! Hack) (2003) (Steve Engelhardt).bin

• Like 1

8 hours ago, alfredtdk said:

Maybe it's a belated observation, but the Limbo game doesn't have a countdown, you have all the time available to finish the game. Have you thought about the possibility of eliminating this countdown?
As an example see this ROM hack of Pitfall without time and with infinite lives.

Pitfall Trainer (Pitfall! Hack) (2003) (Steve Engelhardt).bin 4 kB · 0 downloads

Very true.  When I started this, I wanted to make a Limbo themed Pitfall hack (albeit one with a bit more gameplay variety/challenge) rather than a full port to the Atari (like the excellent work in progress C64 one!).   For those who enjoy completing the game, racing the timer to complete gathering all the treasures is an integral part of the game and I didn't want to remove that.  If I come back to the game and try adding in the full background music, I may just do that then as I'd need to cut something in order to add the lines of code though as a variant edition!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SoundGammon said:

How about call the hack "Escape From Hell"? 20 minutes to get out!

Lol.  Is it really that hard now?  :)  

I don't think I've specifically mentioned it here but I chose the name as it's another mythological realm in between heaven and hell just like the with the Limbo inspiration.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2022 at 9:32 PM, LatchKeyKid said:

I don't know if it does.  I assumed from your location that you were using PAL and was/am very grateful for you checking it out on read hardware/tv.  I didn't change any of the colors or timing with this iteration but rather just took out some WSYNCs before the VSYNC.   All the graphics seem to still be loading up on my NTSC Stella laptop normally and on the same scanlines.

Sadly picture with PAL Atari looks like this (not rolling but static „in four parts“):

69B54D2F-AE9F-4E52-9BBB-28A4DE242FA5.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/19/2022 at 11:05 PM, LatchKeyKid said:

Thanks for letting me know.  I hope it's a quick fix by putting back the wysnc lines but then I'll have to find three others to remove in order to fit the falling glitch.

You almost made it: PAL picture is now shaking slightly (left and right) and the last line at the bottom where the octopus runs is not completely drawn but has a „step“ in this line. 

Don‘t know if this is intended: bonuses are generally white but some are not?

1029B074-0881-4FCE-824C-B3990EA54ADB.jpeg

Edited by Bomberman94
  • Like 1

Thanks.  No, it's not supposed to be shakey so I'll have to figure out something else to cut unfortunately.  The color change for the angels has always been there with some being white and others grey just like the gold and silver bars; they use the same sprite but with different colors in both cases so you know which one you're getting.  Thanks again for checking it out for me.  It'll probably take me a week or longer to test out another version as I'll be reverting back a bit to before my falling/timing fix to see what else I can change with this version.

• 3 weeks later...

I realize I've said this before but I think I mean it... this time!  :)   Special thanks go to @Bomberman94 for pointing out the real hardware display glitch as well as helping me test the various potential fixes for what should be the final release version of my Purgatory hack v1.4.   Now I just have to decide if my next hack will be another Pitfall one (this time expanded to 8k with some basic bank switching) this time with music and added mechanics or if I should try hacking another disassembled/commented classic like River Raid.

Purgatory v1.4.bin

• Like 3

• 7 months later...
On 5/12/2023 at 6:18 PM, r_chase said:

Before I play this, is this game NTSC or PAL60? It does look cool though.

Thanks and let me know what you think.   It should work for both as I'm on NTSC (at least on the PC Stella Emulator) and Bomberman94 was testing it on PAL with real hardware.   One benefit of the B&W color palette is that it's the same on both.

Edited by LatchKeyKid
  • Thanks 1

On 5/17/2023 at 8:07 AM, LatchKeyKid said:

Thanks and let me know what you think.   It should work for both as I'm on NTSC (at least on the PC Stella Emulator) and Bomberman94 was testing it on PAL with real hardware.   One benefit of the B&W color palette is that it's the same on both.

I tested it on my Lakka/RetroArch device. It works and plays really well. I think we could use more B&W color games to be honest. That way, it's more universal in the color aspect. Thanks for making an enjoyable Pitfall hack. Hopefully it'll lead to making an original homebrew (or maybe a super cool arcade port, either way works).

• Like 1