IGNORED

Check out my New (used) PSP 3000.

Hey everyone,

Check it out the PSP 3000 I bought.
I just got this a little while ago.

I couldn't find a decent PSP 3000 that wasn't completely scratched up on eBay.

I found this one though.

I was lucky.

I like it a lot.

PSP_1.jpg

PSP_2.jpg

Edited by guitarmas
Removed a stray question mark.
  • Like 8

4 hours ago, guitarmas said:

I really want to get Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles to play SOTN.

Unfortunately you have to unlock it first.

You can also convert a PSX disc to PSP (eboot) format with tools (PSX2PSP). I did this when I wanted to play XCom on the go, although I miss XComUtil (ities) features from the PC version.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2022 at 6:03 PM, ClassicGMR said:

That game (and most shmups) are unfortunately out of my league. But damn they are beautiful and looks really nice on the PSP screen. :)

Yeah. Same here now. They really do look great on the PSP screen. I just wish they weren't so difficult.

• Like 1

If you haven't already done so I recommend softmodding it. This will allow you to put all of your games onto an MicroSD Card (you'll need a Memory Stick to MicroSD adapter) so you can carry your entire library with you without worrying about the discs and install some decent emulators on it. Softmodding it is very easy (I recommend Pro660) and is probably the easiest console to softmod (just copy a couple of files over to the PSP Memory Stick from your computer using the USB connector).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

There is a homebrew, Cave Story.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cave_Story

Cave Story, originally released as Dōkutsu Monogatari, is a 2004 Metroidvania[1] platform-adventure game for Microsoft Windows. It was developed over five years by Japanese independent developer Daisuke "Pixel" Amaya in his free time. Cave Story features 2D platform mechanics and is reminiscent of the games Amaya played in his youth, such as Metroid and Castlevania (both released in 1986). After its initial self-published release, the game slowly gained popularity on the internet. It received widespread critical acclaim for many polished aspects of its design, such as its compelling characters, setting, story, and gameplay. Cave Story is considered by many as the quintessential indie game because of its one-person development team and influence on the video gaming world.[2][3]

https://cdromance.com/psp/cave-story-english-download/
Cave_Story-Coverart.jpg

Cave_Story_gameplay.gif

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cave Story is always awesome. Unfortunately the PSP pre-dated the Metroidvania explosion. IGA wasn’t interested in it even though the PS2 got some decent 3D games and the DS got a bunch from him. At the time Konami was really the only company publishing Metroidvanias, which is strange to think about now that one in every ten new games is a Metroidvania.

Actually, the very good Mega Man X remake probably qualifies. (Mega Man Powered Up is great too.) There are some good 3D platformers with mild Metroidvania aspects like Tokobot and Daxter.

• 1 month later...

I'm considering modding my system so I can dump my UMD games to the memory card. I'm not sure where to start. I'm using firmware 6.38. I can't connect it to the internet. It says my security is not supported. What do I do to install custom firmware and a UMD dumper?

Edited by guitarmas
Edited content for accuracy.

6.38? That's unusual. The vast majority of PSPs are on 6.60. But there should be something for that firmware for softmodding. I believe that internet is no longer supported on the PSP but you don't need it for softmodding purposes. As I pointed out earlier, it is very easy to install the programs you need since the PSP is also a Memory Stick reader. But, before you start your softmodding journey, I highly recommend acquiring a Memory Stick to Micro SD card adapter as this will make things much easier and cheaper. Memory Sticks only went up to 32GB and they are very expensive. But you can do that and much higher and much cheaper with an adapter.

As for dumping UMDs, you don't need a special dumper. Once you have the unit softmodded and the softmod activated there is a special "service menu" that is activated by the Select button. When you hook up the PSP to the PC it will only see what is on the Memory Stick, as per Sony's design. However, once you enter this special menu, you can select what you want the PC to see once you hook up the PSP and that includes the UMD drive. Select it, put a game in the PSP, and hook it up to the PC. You should now see what is in the UMD drive and you can copy the game to the PC. You need to rename the game once it is on the PC because they all use the same name on the UMDs. Once you have all of your games on the PC then unhook the unit from the PC, go back into the service menu, and re-select the Memory Stick. Put the unit back onto the PC and you should see the contents of the Stick once again. Create a new folder on the top layer called ISO (all caps) then dump your games into it. Unhook the PSP, reboot it, then restart the softmod (most softmods require that you start it manually when you turn on the unit). Go to your games and they should all be there ready to play.

Thanks for your response.

I'm just looking to rip my UMDs to a memory card. I don't want to ruin the nice 3000 system I acquired by always using the UMD drive. I want to get a third PSP as a kick around system.

Check it out. This is my collection so far. I just got the boxed PSP today!

20221001_145739.jpg

Edited by guitarmas

• 1 month later...