IGNORED

Hi-DEF NES

1 hour ago, 0078265317 said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185407967099?hash=item2b2b2d0f7b:g:MsYAAOSwFopibUVA

Is 1100 too much?  Or these kind of mods are pricey and hard to do?  Even then 1100 still seems quite steep.

Even before the parts shortages these only had like a couple runs of them made. I think they where around $150 for the kit?

Very hard to get the kit and install requires de-soldering the cpu and the graphics chips (both 40 pin).

I sold a top loader with an led mod for $350 3-4 years ago. Sold another on ebay for $475 around 3 years ago.

The top loaders are worth much more than the lunch boxes by far.

Even though I don't see these kits getting made again, this is a pretty high asking price.

$600 is about what its probably worth.

What's REALLY annoying is asking that much and STILL CHARGING SHIPPING!

All of that fits in the big flat rate box for $20 - with plenty of room for padding.

• Like 1

It is a lot but it has at least two current unobtainable items in the auction.

Hi-DEF NES that was already talked about and yes they were about $150 from Game-tech when they were available

And it has a Blinking Light Win installed. These are also pretty much impossible to get now as I don't know if they are still making batches of them or not. I bought mine a few years back when I happened to be told they had some in stock and they quickly sold out again. I've not see where they had anymore in stock since?

It is also fully serviced it seems with new caps and looks to be a well done install on the Hi-DEF NES. Plus it has a flash cart. I can see about $500 invested into this depending on what was charged for the Hi-DEF NES install and servicing of the system with the other stuff it comes with. Not sure about the current asking price, but it is possible the owner has at least about $300 invested into that console and that doesn't include what they paid for the NES.

It's all scam pricing trying to take advantage of a gap period where the kit isn't offered to someone who just can't wait.  Every one of those the prices aren't even laughable, they're infuriating.

Might as well just get all new parts and pay some troll $600 on a NT Noir/Mini at least there it's all newly machined in the last few years, new across the board and still the same quality kevtris core at its heart, at least then you're not playing around hoping 30+ year old parts don't fail.

I have a NES (top loader no less) with that very kit in it, recapped too, and I would in no good conscience ask 1100 obo on that as that's bullshit.  If someone else wants to scam a chump/own a modded original, feel free to send me an Analogue NT Noir (not the original with old parts) and I'll trade you even. :)

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Tanooki said:

It's all scam pricing trying to take advantage of a gap period where the kit isn't offered to someone who just can't wait.  Every one of those the prices aren't even laughable, they're infuriating.

Might as well just get all new parts and pay some troll $600 on a NT Noir/Mini at least there it's all newly machined in the last few years, new across the board and still the same quality kevtris core at its heart, at least then you're not playing around hoping 30+ year old parts don't fail.

I have a NES (top loader no less) with that very kit in it, recapped too, and I would in no good conscience ask 1100 obo on that as that's bullshit.  If someone else wants to scam a chump/own a modded original, feel free to send me an Analogue NT Noir (not the original with old parts) and I'll trade you even. :)

Or av mod for 20 bucks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/353425042260?hash=item5249c62b54:g:OIUAAOSwc15ef72v

Is that worth it?  Way better than 70.  Edit I didn't realize I have to do it.  Its just the kit.

Or 54 he does it.  I am surprised he has a offer button though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/121754273838?hash=item1c591ec82e:g:2LEAAOSwj1Vcg0xB

Edited by 0078265317

@0078265317 Yeah I had that, and so so happily dumped that NES I had when I got the HD kit in mine.  I basically swapped out one modded top loader for another, no regrets, the quality is so worth every little bit of it, when people aren't being gouging bungholes like those links that were shared.  The old av mod I had was the three rca ports, it also had an additional wheel in the rear to split the audio for pseudo-stereo separation and in some games it was just utterly magic where the audio would pop (usually later stuff like Mario 3, Castlevania 3, Kirby.)

Once you see how good composite looks upscaled to 720p or higher and you have the settings set correctly, you realize how much of a waste of money the mods are. or if latency is that big of an issue, then play on a PVM, or a CRT that you can still get for free in most parts of the country.

The games were never meant to look razor sharp to begin with. Some like it I guess, but I'm usually fine with S-video and composite. it's the way the gaming gods meant for it to be!

• Like 2

Well thankfully people who stick to CRTs are dwindling and being aged out from failing hardware or just hitting a realization it's a wasted effort. :)

If I had the tools and supplies and if they made a 25" square LCD I could use, I'd upgrade my Neo Geo cabinet as that CRT is annoying especially when flipping between games.

• Like 1

Yes for authenticy art id the best.  But Wii (original from 2006 not Wii U) I downloaded Super Mario Brothers 1, 2 and 3 plus a few others from the virtual console service before the store went offline.  Its not HDMI by default.  Its just red white and yellow or red green and blue.  I have a Wii connector to HDMI adapter but even without just on the old analog connections its so good.  Super Mario Brothers 1 is crystal clear compared to my old CRT.  You can see the detail in the bricks you can't see on an old crt.  I know they were not meant to be sharp back in 80s and 90s but it looks so much better on my Wii.  Huge difference.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/17/2022 at 7:47 PM, dudeguy said:

Once you see how good composite looks upscaled to 720p or higher and you have the settings set correctly, you realize how much of a waste of money the mods are. or if latency is that big of an issue, then play on a PVM, or a CRT that you can still get for free in most parts of the country.

The games were never meant to look razor sharp to begin with. Some like it I guess, but I'm usually fine with S-video and composite. it's the way the gaming gods meant for it to be!

some items in this quote are interesting, some are true to a point but the thing that always tweaks me 

The games were never meant to look razor sharp to begin with.

We don't actually know that, things were still being designed on graph paper, programmed on higher spec computers with good computer displays and often tested on at a minimum a computer monitor or professional displays. Least to my knowledge I have never seen Miyamoto hold up his famous graph paper of Mario smeared in Vaseline nor has Coleco, Nintendo or Sega come to my house back in the day to see how their game looked on my burnt orange 12 inch black and white Kenmore portable 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Osgeld said:

We don't actually know that

We actually do. No need for vaseline or random house visits when you can simply plop a TV next to a monitor on your desk.

It's not that it even needs proof, it's just common sense. If you look around you, the objects you see will be outlined in smooth lines and curves, not jagged blocks. So why would a designer want their games to look like this?  The early machines did not have the juice to remedy the basic graph-made blockiness, but the CRT TVs with their natural antialiasing did - plus allowed for a heap of other tricks. That's why most VGA games from 320x200 era look a bit daft with their heavy pixellation on dimmer/duller displays (which were obviously productivity-oriented), and everything else, be it consoles, arcades, or microcomputers benefitted from being displayed on normal 15 kHz sets. Even via RF or composite, since S-Video, component and SCART RGB were luxuries that did not really matter till the late 90s and beyond. Sure, RF did suck, but not as greatly as some might imagine, and good composite is actually pretty good - enough for games. And that's why PC games eventually started adding antialiasing and other post process features with the advent of dedicated GPU cards, and it is something that continues to this day.

Luckily, in 2022 it's not a great mystery anymore, and anti-CRT crusaders like good ol' Tanooki here are dwindling :) There was a period when people were awed by, and drunk on the TFT revolution, and so the "cleaner/sharper" rationalization narratives were conceived and vehemently defended. The fact that it's nigh on impossible to capture CRT display properly on video or photo, and make a good comparison, did not help. But it's all calmed down in the recent years and most people realised that it's at least worth trying to play the games the way it was intended. Especially seeing as it has never been easier - you have decent shader/scanline/shadowmask options available everywhere now, from Retroarch to Retrotink.

Of course, if anybody prefers the modern look it's their prerogative, though I always smh at the idea of playing games in their raw output state - it's a bit as if going into Cyberpunk 2077's Options and dialling down all the gfx settings. But, hey, whatever floats your boat. Historical revisionism is another matter though, hence my occasional replies to these posts.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, youxia said:

We actually do. No need for vaseline or random house visits when you can simply plop a TV next to a monitor on your desk.

every vintage picture I see from nintendo at the time is using a broadcast monitor not a 2001 k-mart level goldstar, heck even your first link every image is using high res computer monitors and broadcast monitors (not even really sure what 15khz has to do with anything) not all CRT's are the same ... I mean the last CRT I owned was a Toshiba 20 something inch that could display 1080i nearly pixel perfect, and since it was a knock off Trinitron after Sony's patent expired, its not unreasonable to think that a "higher end consumer unit" was fairly on par with an expensive as shit professional unit from the 80's (considering Trinitron displays date back to the late 60's)

15 hours ago, youxia said:

So why would a designer want their games to look like this? 

They didn't, but constraints meant they had to. I am not saying there were not tricks picked up along the way, but its not like they had lifetimes to hand sculpt the final image in your house to perfection.

Edit: looking back on your first link I find one of my favorite examples

image.thumb.png.66f386777aad4d106a5aad5da5e25162.png

Do you have any clue how tight and expensive rom storage space is in 1987? Why would a designer put that much extra data and time ... against a deadline for half of the detail and colors to be completely erased? Oh cause they could see it on their nice development (CRT, 15KHz based) systems. Obviously they saw it on better screen's than "grandpa's zenith, they bought down at sears"

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1