IGNORED

Champ Games - Elevator Agent (aka Elevator Action) for the Atari 2600

johnnywc

UPDATE

After viewing various YouTube videos of the demo being played, I have made some bug fixes and game play updates and uploaded version 2 of the demo to the Champ Games Downloads page of our website.

Additionally, the demo ROM for the PAL60 version has been added to the Downloads section as well. 

• One bug didn't allow you to finish a level if the escape elevator was in the last column. :| :skull:
  • There are other small bug fixes (one in particular would cause your player to double up if you got shot while jumping out of an elevator :lol: ) and game play tweaks.

Any and all feedback is appreciated!

Thanks,

John

• Like 5

The flicker is IMO pretty noticeable. I suppose it results from dark sprites over bright background.

How about a reversed color option for us people who are very sensitive to flicker? And maybe something like a reverse luma boost would help too (display brighter when not flickering).

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

1 hour ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

How about a reversed color option for us people who are very sensitive to flicker? And maybe something like a reverse luma boost would help too (display brighter when not flickering).

Hmmm... maybe we could do a "film noir" version in black and white?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

The flicker is IMO pretty noticeable. I suppose it results from dark sprites over bright background.  How about a reversed color option for us people who are very sensitive to flicker?

Agreed.  We started with the arcade colors and will try to figure out better suited color combinations to better handle the flicker.  The biggest 'issue' IMO is the orange missile getting lost in the background and PF colors.  Since we will need to expand to 64K, perhaps I'll be able to fit in a color-select option like I did for Lady Bug Arcade.. :idea:

And maybe something like a reverse luma boost would help too (display brighter when not flickering).

That's a good idea!  I have noticed that it looks better when you disable luma boost; maybe that would be the best solution instead of a reverse one. :ponder:  I'll see how both look.   Thanks!

6 minutes ago, Nathan Strum said:

Hmmm... maybe we could do a "film noir" version in black and white?

Now that would be cool!  Too bad I'm using the color/bw switch for pause, it would be perfect for this feature. :D 

• Like 2

Bug: I was jumping down to the last elevator (moving up). Then the "level finished" sequence started in the 1st floor.

Good catch!  I've added the "and elevator moving down" check now so this will be fixed in the next release. :) 

BTW: I find the death animation a bit irritating, since the agent keeps his gun, still pointing it at me. IMO the gun should be removed.

image.png.ba95a6b7c127d114df0a5f48c39d3dc7.png  image.png.22d16a6c762831e3509ee4d81ca39396.png

Hmm, in most action movies the 'enemy' holds on to his gun till the bitter end, leaving the protagonist with the uncertainty of "will they shoot me or won't they".  Makes for some fantastic drama too! :P 

Seriously though, I'm at 0 bytes free for the 32K version but I'll run this by my graphics guy @Nathan Strum once we expand to 64K.  The hope is to have a 32K version ROM only for people to play on their Harmony carts and a 64K cart/ROM version too, but we'll see if that will be too much of a development nightmare (updating two different versions with bug fixes, etc.).

Thanks for the feedback TJ! :thumbsup:  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Utilikey said:

Just when I had been floored by by my copy of Gorf Arcade, I was thrilled to see this demo come out.  

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Utilikey said:

John, it was great talking with you at PRGE.  Looking forward to the finished product.

It was great talking to you too!  We hope to have the game finished by mid-year, and also plan on finishing Turbo Arcade in 2023 with a tentative release date of mid-October (at PRGE 2K23). :D 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Champ Games is proud to announce that Elevator Agent has been nominated for Atari 2600 Best Homebrew WIP (Port) for the 5th Annual Atari Homebrew Awards! 😊 

5thAnnualAtariHomebrewAwards(2022)-Atari2600BestWIPHomebrew(Port).jpg..thumb.jpg.c51d9f966bfc7da91afae2e309afcc4a.jpg

Special thanks to @Nathan Strum for the incredible graphics and @Pat Brady for the amazing music and sounds!  :thumbsup: 

If you haven't already, please head over to the official awards thread and cast your votes for your favorite Atari 2600, 7800, 5200/8-bit, Jaguar and Lynx games!

A big thank you to James and the @ZeroPage Homebrew team for hosting the event and congratulations to all of the other nominees! :) 

• Like 7

Not sure if intended: you can walk on the roof of an elevator but you can’t go completely to the other side.

You can jump from one side to the other side UNDER an elevator but not OVER an elevator (you then fall down). 

Not sure (can’t remember the arcade version): if you enter a red door to get the briefcase - can I choose to leave the door (for a better timing with enemies around) or does he automatically leave the door?

The music plays a bit slow - might be a bit faster but if it’s like the original arcade game… (but maybe it's because i play on a PAL machine)?

BTW: Fantastic game - catches the gameplay and look‘n feel of the original arcade game 😊👍

Edited by Bomberman94
  • Like 1

Thanks very much for doing Elevator Agent.
Your game would have been a huge success if released in 1983 Atari Age 😃

I have played the demo v2. Good progress.
All below is only for report.

1 )

When inside an elevator and before elevator move to same line of plataform if trying move the player character to the plataform the player character move to plataform and in sequence after of the platform even if was pressed the control to left or right for few seconds.
In image 2 the player had fallen losing after trying move the player to plataform thus happen that wrong behavior.
The correct is the player character move only to plataform and stop in "X" as is showed in image 1.

See images 1 and 2.

2 ) The same issue above happen if the elevator not is in same line with the plataform too.
The player fall losing even if him is inside of elevator.

See images 3, 4 and 5.

3)

When inside elevator trying to jump to next plataform hitting the spies happen the same issue above.
The player not jump to position in "x", but much more ahead as showed in image 7.

See images 6 and 7.

Have an nice week.

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

6.png

7.png

Edited by Aug

Hi Jürgen,

3 hours ago, Bomberman94 said:

Not sure if intended: you can walk on the roof of an elevator but you can’t go completely to the other side.

Yes, this is like the arcade.  In the arcade there are cables in the middle of the elevator that block your way (but your shots can go thru them).  Unfortunately I don't have enough cycles to show the cable so instead I show alternating background color over an elevator to indicate that you cannot cross it.

You can jump from one side to the other side UNDER an elevator but not OVER an elevator (you then fall down). 

Yes, this is how it is in the arcade. 

Not sure (can’t remember the arcade version): if you enter a red door to get the briefcase - can I choose to leave the door (for a better timing with enemies around) or does he automatically leave the door?

Yes, you can exit a red door by pressing the joystick in the opposite direction in which you entered it.  For example, if you entered the door from the right, you would press left to exit the red door.  You will automatically leave the red door after a few seconds if you do not manually exit.

The music plays a bit slow - might be a bit faster but if it’s like the original arcade game… (but maybe it's because i play on a PAL machine)?

It's a PAL60 build so the music and game play should be the same on PAL or NTSC.  I think the speed is good vs. the arcade, but I'll let my sound guy @Pat Brady comment on the tempo. :) 

BTW: Fantastic game - catches the gameplay and look‘n feel of the original arcade game 😊👍

Thanks so much for the kind words and feedback! :thumbsup:  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aug said:

Thanks very much for doing Elevator Agent.

You're welcome!

1 hour ago, Aug said:

Your game would have been a huge success if released in 1983 Atari Age 😃

Thanks!  Of course the game could not have been done like this in 1983 since the hardware was not available (or possible), but it's nice to be able to make the game as close to the arcade today using the latest technology. :) 

1 hour ago, Aug said:

I have played the demo v2. Good progress.

:thumbsup:  

1 hour ago, Aug said:

All below is only for report.

1 )

When inside an elevator and before elevator move to same line of plataform if trying move the player character to the plataform the player character move to plataform and in sequence after of the platform even if was pressed the control to left or right for few seconds.
In image 2 the player had fallen losing after trying move the player to plataform thus happen that wrong behavior.
The correct is the player character move only to plataform and stop in "X" as is showed in image 1.

See images 1 and 2.

Thanks for the feedback.  We have been working on the game for the last 4 weeks and have fixed many bugs - I will make sure this one has been corrected.

1 hour ago, Aug said:

2 ) The same issue above happen if the elevator not is in same line with the plataform too.
The player fall losing even if him is inside of elevator.

See images 3, 4 and 5.

Thanks, yes I've seen this happen before and it is a bug that will be fixed for the next release. :thumbsup: 

1 hour ago, Aug said:

3)

When inside elevator trying to jump to next plataform hitting the spies happen the same issue above.
The player not jump to position in "x", but much more ahead as showed in image 7.

See images 6 and 7.

Yes, I've seen this before.  The player needs to drop down straight onto the platform but instead drops too far and falls down the adjacent elevator shaft.  This will be fixed in the next demo release.

1 hour ago, Aug said:

Have an nice week.

You too and thanks for the feedback! 

John

@johnnywc

Thanks for replying and doing that amazing game for our loveable Atari VCS.

About player in roof of an elevator not being possible walk to other side is correct.
Elevator not having cables not is an issue. However sometimes when having 2 elevators in same vertical line is hard to understand if is an elevator or the "cable area" between 2 elevators.

About player entering the red door inside timing is accurate as arcade.
Really the music tempo is more slow than the arcade.

Hey I see will be added features ( second player controlling the "spy vs spy" characters and etc) remembering Elevator Action 2.
Well ... in high levels an building similar with GameBoy Color version and an spy boss in last floor will be amazing.

Again thanks for you and others coders in that project showing as amazing is the Atari VCS.

2 hours ago, Aug said:

It's right at 120 BPM. The arcade is about 128 by my measurement. That's as close as we can get while keeping it perfectly steady. I'll see if I can increase the speed a bit — the triplets won't be perfect but might be close enough for human hearing.

(The arcade game has a dedicated audio CPU which I think lets it choose an arbitrary tempo. Obviously we don't have that luxury.)

• Like 1

Champ Games is able to make stunning 2600 games!!!  It is hard to believe my ancient heavy sixer can play games that look dang near as good as the arcade versions.  Galagon is probably the best port of Galaga that I have ever seen, and they even upped the ante and allowed 2 player co-op play!!!  Qyx, Gorf Arcade, RobotWar:2684, Wizard of Wor Arcade, Mappy, and all their other games are equally stellar ports for the 2600!!

Elevator Agent looks like it will deliver the same amazing quality.  I can't wait to buy this on cartridge!!

Qix, Galaga, Elevator Action and Lady Bug were 4 of my absolute favorites to play in the arcade, so they definitely know how to pick timeless classics.  Thanks to Champ games for blessing the 2600 community with their outstanding ports!!! 

Make sure to go vote for their games in the 5th Annual Atari Homebrew Awards!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Aug said:

@johnnywc

Thanks for replying and doing that amazing game for our loveable Atari VCS.

You're welcome and my pleasure! :D 

18 hours ago, Aug said:

About player in roof of an elevator not being possible walk to other side is correct.

18 hours ago, Aug said:

Elevator not having cables not is an issue. However sometimes when having 2 elevators in same vertical line is hard to understand if is an elevator or the "cable area" between 2 elevators.

Agreed; it takes a bit getting used to but the different striped color should be a good enough indication of when you can cross an elevator top after a few games (hopefully). 🤞

18 hours ago, Aug said:

About player entering the red door inside timing is accurate as arcade.

18 hours ago, Aug said:

Looks like Pat is working on a version that is a little bit faster.  :thumbsup: 

18 hours ago, Aug said:

Hey I see will be added features ( second player controlling the "spy vs spy" characters and etc) remembering Elevator Action 2.

Hmm, I never played EA 2 - I'll have to take a look! 👀  

18 hours ago, Aug said:

Well ... in high levels an building similar with GameBoy Color version and an spy boss in last floor will be amazing.

Interesting - it would be nice to add a few more features for the final version for sure! 

18 hours ago, Aug said:

Again thanks for you and others coders in that project showing as amazing is the Atari VCS.

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback! 

14 hours ago, LANC3L0T said:

Champ Games is able to make stunning 2600 games!!!  It is hard to believe my ancient heavy sixer can play games that look dang near as good as the arcade versions.  Galagon is probably the best port of Galaga that I have ever seen, and they even upped the ante and allowed 2 player co-op play!!!  Qyx, Gorf Arcade, RobotWar:2684, Wizard of Wor Arcade, Mappy, and all their other games are equally stellar ports for the 2600!!

Elevator Agent looks like it will deliver the same amazing quality.  I can't wait to buy this on cartridge!!

Qix, Galaga, Elevator Action and Lady Bug were 4 of my absolute favorites to play in the arcade, so they definitely know how to pick timeless classics.  Thanks to Champ games for blessing the 2600 community with their outstanding ports!!! 

Thanks so much for the kind words! :)  

• Like 1

Unhappily the new retro "Atari VCS" not have any adapter for inserting Atari VCS cartridges , the hardware is as an notebook without enough cooler fan because the cpu temperature is above 70C , CPU use BGA and plus an high price for an machine with less power than an Playstation 4.

Champ Games have showed that Super Mario Bros , Castlevania and some others games are possible in the original Atari VCS.

@Pat Brady
I not understand if that game use any extra hardware for sound.
You have done an great work If only was used the TIA. Congratulations 😃

@@johnnywc

The sequel is Elevator Action 2 in USA and Elevator Action Returns in japan. The game use human characters. Is possible select 3 characters. In last stage have the only boss.
The original use cartoon style characters (spy vs spy). The sequel is good , but the original had an character style much better.
Also was done gameboy , gameboy color and gameboy advance versions both using cartoon characters.
Gameboy and Gameboy Color are much good. The game code use graphics data mirroring in some areas thus doing in each new building new paths to reach the car.
The only problem in the original is always the same building in each new stage.
I not understand if is possible create after of high stages new buildings having new paths thus as the gameboy color version in Atari VCS version.
I recommend that you see the gameboy and gameboy color versions.
Not demanding .. only sharing the details above.

Another issue.
Please see the image.
Both sprites using the same position not is possible hit the cpu character using jump or shot.

Elevator-Agent_demo_v2_NTSC.png

Edited by Aug
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Aug said:

@Pat Brady
I not understand if that game use any extra hardware for sound.
You have done an great work If only was used the TIA. Congratulations 😃

Thanks! We aren't using CDFJ audio, it's just TIA. We sometimes update one register twice per frame, but never more than that. The notes with 2 updates sound distorted. I'm hoping to reduce that for the next release.

Thanks also for the constructive comments on the tempo. Speeding it up to arcade speed (128 BPM) makes some of the rhythms imperfect mathematically, but they're close enough that I can't tell the difference, so we're going with that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aug said:

Champ Games have showed that Super Mario Bros , Castlevania and some others games are possible in the Atari VCS.

The new "VCS" is way more powerful than the ARM chip used for Elevator Agent. I figure there is no limit regarding classic games even though it does not run as fast as it could.

When I had posted about Champ Games had showed SMB is possible was about the original Atari VCS and not the retro notebook PCB using the name "Atari VCS". I not had detailed about it.

Elevator Agent use an ARM processor ? If yes what tasks are being done ?

Edited by Aug

9 minutes ago, Aug said:

When I had posted about Champ Games had showed SMB is possible was about the original Atari VCS and not the retro notebook PCB using the name "Atari VCS". I not had detailed about it.

OK, then I misunderstood you here.

9 minutes ago, Aug said:

Elevator Agent use an ARM processor ? If yes what tasks are being done ?

The recent ARM based games (e.g Galagon, Draconian, Qix, Super Cobra Arcade, Lode Runner, Gorf Arcade...) usually offload all processing to the ARM chip. This processing is done during ~25% of a frame. The other ~75%, the ARM drives the display kernel, which is more or less the only part still written in 6507 assembler (besides reading controller input and frame generation). 

You can find some more detailed info in @SpiceWare's blog and other places in the forum.