IGNORED

Champ Games - Elevator Agent (aka Elevator Action) for the Atari 2600

johnnywc

Excellent work @johnnywc , I really love this game !!

since you are looking for things to add..

how about an additional sprite set to turn the protagonists into the spies from MAD  ?!

Done some rough work just to see if they can fit the constraints and still be recognizable.. 🙃

Just a friendly suggestion ↓

image.png.be89d0a2294f276bbca68e69e4b147ab.png

• Like 8

2 hours ago, TIX said:

how about an additional sprite set to turn the protagonists into the spies from MAD  ?!

Done some rough work just to see if they can fit the constraints and still be recognizable.. 🙃

🤔Maybe as a kind of easter egg - that would be great!

• Like 5

6 hours ago, TIX said:

4 hours ago, Bomberman94 said:

🤔Maybe as a kind of easter egg - that would be great!

That would be awesome!

IMG_3280D.thumb.JPG.97849df5a366d8ce88eaf983d7586bfd.JPG

IMG_3279D.thumb.JPG.26d3fde9b2836df19609bad5e8b57fef.JPG

There was a 3rd Spy at times

image.thumb.jpeg.a977aa1df0ad16933134c2ed0f0f8208.jpeg

• Like 7

16 hours ago, Aug said:

Another issue.
Please see the image.
Both sprites using the same position not is possible hit the cpu character using jump or shot.

Elevator-Agent_demo_v2_NTSC.png

Hmm, I would think if you jumped straight up it would hit the enemy with a kick.  :ponder:  I just tested it on the latest build and it seems to work, so maybe it was fixed since version 2 was released.  Good news is that it will be fixed for version 3 demo! :D 

Thanks for the feedback! :thumbsup: 

12 hours ago, TIX said:

Thanks, glad you're enjoying it! :thumbsup: 

12 hours ago, TIX said:

Hmm, I must admit that I'm not familiar with MAD or the spy characters, but your images look pretty good! :thumbsup:   I'll have to run it by my graphics guy @Nathan Strum and see if he's a fan.  We have decided to move to 64K for EA so we should have room for some extra bells and whistles like this.  Right now we are planning on adding:

• High score table and SaveKey support
  • Fully animated "HOW TO PLAY" arcade-like instruction screen
  • 2 player alternating game
  • 2 player vs. mode (player 2 will control one of the enemy spies)
  • CHALLENGE mode with additional features:
    • temporary power ups (weapons upgrade, bullet proof vest, double speed movement)
    • warp doors that warp you to the nearest red door
  • Additional building layouts with select screen

We're aiming for a mid-2023 release.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

• Like 7

Comparing the spies are similar with Spy VS Spy ... Probably was copied from MAD.

Having an boss exactly as Spy VS Spy will be funny mainly if using bombs.

Well ... In 2 player competitive mode some doors could be traps having inside bombs.

ARM offload all processing from cpu, but Atari VCS CPU continue working as being an "framebuffer" for TIA ?

For an console from 70's the CPU was faster.

Edited by Aug
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, johnnywc said:
  • 2 player vs. mode (player 2 will control one of the enemy spies)
  • CHALLENGE mode with additional features:
    • temporary power ups (weapons upgrade, bullet proof vest, double speed movement)
    • warp doors that warp you to the nearest red door

for this mode alone ↑ it would be worth it, I think 🙂

I couldn't help drawing some additional frames..

As always, let me know if you need a hand !

blackvswhite.gif.4fad8a36a482d5261872dee40395f5b4.gif

Edited by TIX
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, Aug said:

Comparing the spies are similar with Spy VS Spy ... Probably was copied from MAD.

Having an boss exactly as Spy VS Spy will be funny mainly if using bombs.

Well ... In 2 player competitive mode some doors could be traps having inside bombs.

Interesting idea! :idea:  

16 hours ago, Aug said:

ARM offload all processing from cpu, but Atari VCS CPU continue working as being an "framebuffer" for TIA ?

For an console from 70's the CPU was faster.

During vertical blank and over scan the ARM code is executed to fill up data streams (used to display the graphics) and execute game logic.  The Atari 6507 CPU runs at the same time (executing nop instructions) until the ARM code is done.  Once control is passed back to the 6507, you then execute assembly code kernels to access the data stream data to populate the TIA registers like normal (player, missile and ball sprites plus the PF and all color registers), limited to 76 cycles per scanline as normal.  However, there is a fast fetch mode that allows you update any TIA register in 5 cycles which allows for many more TIA updates (background color changes, PF, multi-colored sprites, etc) that result in better and more complex graphics for the game.

So the ARM/extra memory doesn't give you a frame buffer in the traditional sense where you can just draw any graphic at coordinate X,Y, but instead the datastreams can be leveraged to prepare data for multiple TIA registers (player sprites, colors, missiles, playfield, etc) for the entire screen so it's similar to a frame buffer but you are still limited by the TIA hardware (2 sprites, 2 missiles, 1 ball and low resolution PF).  

Hope that helps!

• Like 1

If exiting a red door you carry a briefcase (for a short time). The color of the briefcase is very similar to the man (PAL60 version) - I would choose a different color if possible to distinguish better (dark red, dark brown or black). I know - the arcade version has a similar color but could be better seen because of it’s shape. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats on Elevator Agent winning the Atari 2600 Best WIP port!! 

You definitely deserved it with this game.  I was stunned by what you did with Galaga, and your version of Elevator Action is even more impressive.  Heck, it looks better than a lot of the old 5200 and 7800 games.  I am looking forward to buying the game and playing it on my 2600 Jr.  🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/15/2023 at 1:04 AM, TIX said:

I think adding the black and white Spies would be awesome!  There was a great Spy vs Spy video game back in the C64 days that my friend and I loved playing.  Having an option to somehow include them in this game would be a real treat!!  TIX did a great job "pixelating" them. 💗

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/15/2023 at 2:04 AM, TIX said:

Orrrr....this would be a great kickoff to make a VCS port of Spy Vs. Spy.  :)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
26 minutes ago, CrazyChris said:

Did AtariAge make a cartridge of this?

Hi there!  Elevator Agent has not been completed yet but is expected to be released this October with 50 copies available at PRGE at the Champ Games booth.  AtariAge will not be involved in the publishing as they have decided to focus on publishing original or licensed games.  If all goes well, we hope to have physical copies of both Elevator Agent (and Turbo Arcade) available in our store sometime after PRGE.

Thanks,

John

• Like 14

• 1 month later...
On 7/21/2023 at 9:22 AM, johnnywc said:

Hi there!  Elevator Agent has not been completed yet but is expected to be released this October with 50 copies available at PRGE at the Champ Games booth.  AtariAge will not be involved in the publishing as they have decided to focus on publishing original or licensed games.  If all goes well, we hope to have physical copies of both Elevator Agent (and Turbo Arcade) available in our store sometime after PRGE.

I suppose I should get started on the label art... :ponder:

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Nathan Strum said:

I suppose I should get started on the label art... :ponder:

Darn, is it that time the year already?  I better buckle down and finish the game if you're going to go through the trouble of doing the artwork... now that would be awkward! :P  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, johnnywc said:

Darn, is it that time the year already?  I better buckle down and finish the game if you're going to go through the trouble of doing the artwork... now that would be awkward! :P  

Ha!

4 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

You bet! Albert was pushing me with the Bot&Tom artwork. Now that this is done, the manual is due.

Hurry! :) 

You guys better get cracking! I’m attending PRGE and expect to purchase these games at the convention.😉

• Like 1

21 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

Ha!

You guys better get cracking! I’m attending PRGE and expect to purchase these games at the convention.😉

I can't make PRGE, so you can have a little more time.  However, I WOULD like to be able to get a physical cart of Elevator Agent at some point.  :)

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hello all,

Champ Games is happy to announce that Elevator Agent is nearing completion and will be available at the Champ Games booth (along with Turbo Arcade and other games) at this year's Portland Retro Gaming Expo.

A huge thanks to @Nathan Strum (again!) for the artwork for the game (box, manual, label and poster), as well as all of the in-game graphics.  Nathan also spent numerous late nights (too many to count!) hammering out the final details of the publishing requirements; a physical release of this game (and Turbo Arcade) would not have been possible without his dedication and hard work! 🏆 :thumbsup: 

Big thanks to @Pat Brady for the amazing sound effects and music! :music: 

Here are some images of the box:

Elevator-Agent-3D-box.thumb.png.3cb09db610d0ae600fc6d666d3ac3f46.png

I also want to thank @Albert for reviewing the text on the box and manual and for helping with the publishing transition process. :thumbsup:  

We also plan on adding Elevator Agent (both boxed version and digital download) to our Champ Games store after we return from the convention, most likely in early December.

If you're in the Portland area in mid-October, come on down and visit as we will have both Elevator Agent and Turbo arcade (and our other games) set up to play as well. 

Hope to see you there!

Thanks,

John

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to congratulate John and Nathan on their ability to stand up the publishing side of Champ Games. Bravo gentlemen. I am not a completionist, when it comes to my game collection. However I have made an exception or two, when it comes to homebrew. Love the games, hope to continue to be able to test for you in the future and please keep them coming.

Note: @johnnywc it was great seeing you and Paul again and @Nathan Strum it was a pleasure to meet you. I have long been an admirer of your work.

CG.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...