IGNORED

Final Fight Ultimate is coming to Genesis/Megadrive on cartridge…

ColecoGamer

You read it right - a small dev team is working on a cartridge version of Final Fight for the Genesis/Megadrive!

Despite being a Sega CD title, the original release used the Megadrive’s hardware for the game, and the enhancements were nothing more than clearer voice samples and CDDA audio.

This means a port is not only possible, but it’s actually happening!

Check out the teaser trailer below:

Edited by ColecoGamer

5 minutes ago, Austin said:

Looks okay. I'll be interested in seeing how it plays. The color palette doesn't seem all that great during the moment of actual gameplay they showed. Hopefully things don't look so drab throughout the rest of the game.

According to a discussion on Sega-16, the developer plans on fixing the color palette before launching the game. Fingers crossed!

The SegaCD game was kind of compromised too, just not as nerfed as they rushed out and disgustingly censored with stickboys version the SNES got.

When this arrives if it's pay I'm buying, if it's just made available it's going on my kit.

These days unless I feel the need to use the SNES game, I enjoy the GBA (JP) release since it's the only Nintendo uncensored one (even the GBA those dicks re-censored too in the US/EU regions.)

I know it's a work in progress, but it looks good so far, and anything off at this rate is because it's a cobbled together alpha build to tease youtube watching fans.  It's something, better than nothing at this rate.

It would be great if someone took the SNES game and made a new version on a larger chip to return the missing content (Rolento+stage) and merge the existing FF/Guy roster to have all three too.  AND UN-CENSOR IT.

• Like 3

On 6/15/2022 at 2:03 PM, ColecoGamer said:

Despite being a Sega CD title, the original release used the Megadrive’s hardware for the game, and the enhancements were nothing more than clearer voice samples and CDDA audio.

This means a port is not only possible, but it’s actually happening!

I don't think this is just a "port" of the Sega CD version though, I think they're actually starting over from scratch.

On 6/15/2022 at 3:03 PM, Austin said:

The color palette doesn't seem all that great during the moment of actual gameplay they showed. Hopefully things don't look so drab throughout the rest of the game.

Yeah, I don't know if they're targeting chunky pixel emulation, or if they're ignorant of the fact that the dithering in the original game used NTSC artifacting to create extra colors. I think they might be a from a PAL country.

• Like 1

I'm so on board with this when it arrives.  Still have a soft spot for the amazing overly rushed work they did on the SNES despite no Guy, lack of the stage/boss, and the stickboys instead of the ladies -- but this, this blows that and the SCD version out of the water so far with what's shown.

If they sell a copy of this cart or complete, price given obviously, I'd buy it.  If it's a hand out, great, got a mega everdrive ready and waiting though I'd rather it be legit.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, M-S said:

Isn't the timing just peferct to have this in the Mega Drive Mini 2 since it's going to have some new games? Just a thought tough.

Japan's Mini II had Final Fight for the Sega CD confirmed just a day or so ago, so the timing isn't quite right. Plus this homebrew project is still under development and the Mini II presumably is just a few weeks away from entering production with development all but wrapped up (Late October is the release date). 

But Final Fight fans buying the new Mini end up better off in a way. While this looks exceptionally close to the arcade original and is an exciting project to follow for Final Fight/Genesis fans that follow the homebrew scene (and would've made for a cool bonus game here), the average customer wanting to play an arcade quality Final Fight probably already bought Capcom Arcade Stadium for whatever their main current gaming platform is.

So they're still getting Final Fight here (albeit not quite arcade perfection in a variety of ways), but with a completely different and very well done CD quality soundtrack that makes it a very worthwhile version to fire up even with easy access to the arcade original.  

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2

On 6/15/2022 at 8:09 PM, ColecoGamer said:

According to a discussion on Sega-16, the developer plans on fixing the color palette before launching the game. Fingers crossed!

I have no doubt that will happen either way. There's so many people into updating Sega stuff these days, particularly guys who focus on colour patches obsessively for the most part, and I think they'll be right on this if there's a remote chance they could do even a little bit better with the colours.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I wish they'd indicate a release for that, or perhaps if they want some public test input to do some kind of a beta rom to see how it flows on various systems.

I could be wrong, but I suspect the developer will release the game on cartridge either by the end of this year, or some time in the next. 

I agree, though; the developer hasn’t been very forthcoming with a release date. Maybe this is being done, so they (the developer) can take all the time they need to make the port perfect?

• Like 1

That or a wise move to keep it under wraps in the off chance Capcom decided to be utter d-bags like Square-Enix is about stuff and a few other third parties and sends a C&D letter to terminate it.  Right now they can only guess, know sure, but at a guess level it exists for public consumption.  It's when you put up a release date or put it out there, they can slam the door on your work fast.  That's why when Metroid II AMR popped up, it popped up complete, bugged lightly, but finished, because he knew Nintendo would spit roast his ass for making a game out of one of their flagship IPs, which they did, after he got a bugfix or two out to make it tight from downloader feedback.  Square-Enix years ago as the Chrono Trigger unofficial sequel was readying to release they killed it as it arrived so no one could experience it.  So it could just be that simple, but having some vague idea of a date would be nice.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...