IGNORED

What classic game do you wanna see remade for modern consoles?

On 6/18/2022 at 12:50 AM, Razzie.P said:

Speed Rumbler

Or the "not quite as old" Freedom Force

I'll second the Speed Rumbler!!  I enjoyed this in the arcade and was waiting for it to come to the NES... but it never did (although I thought I saw it in a Capcom manual as 'coming soon")

I like car combat games and this was pretty fun in the arcade!  I should pick it up on the Capcom collection for the Switch.

• Like 1

We need a new Enduro. Or Great American Cross Country Road Race.

'Dodge the things' gameplay is something we don't see much anymore. And with our fancy modern technology we could make the day/night/weather cycles, and landscape transitions look like more than the old palette swap with a repeating cactus. The big problem is that with the modernization of the graphics would come temptation to modernize handling--which would basically create a need for speed clone with weird scoring.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Reaperman said:

We need a new Enduro. Or Great American Cross Country Road Race.

'Dodge the things' gameplay is something we don't see much anymore. And with our fancy modern technology we could make the day/night/weather cycles, and landscape transitions look like more than the old palette swap with a repeating cactus. The big problem is that with the modernization of the graphics would come temptation to modernize handling--which would basically create a need for speed clone with weird scoring.

Oooh that’s a good call. I loved Enduro. I mean I guess those endless runner mobile games would kind of count gameplay wise. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, jerseystyle said:

Oooh that’s a good call. I loved Enduro. I mean I guess those endless runner mobile games would kind of count gameplay wise. 

Not gonna lie, some of the types of 'runners' scratch that itch, especially with the proper theme.  There's a jet ski one I rather like (I forget the name)

Neon Drive gets about the closest, but cars are locked to lanes which isn't enduro-like but seems like a good way to introduce the rhythm-game elements for handling.

Horizon chase almost scratches the itch--it nails the top gear feeling, of course, but those games tend to be busy enough to create more frustration-moments than enduro had. Enduro's lighter traffic tended to build tension with the timer/scene-cycle instead.

Hyperchase is another nice old dodge-racer that could use an update. it uses an analog stick for absolute positioning--very unique. the result being that it feels a little like a paddle game, and now that we have analog sticks on everything, maybe we have room for something with that control scheme again.  It's more of an acquired taste than enduro, but I liked it almost as much.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Reaperman said:

Not gonna lie, some of the types of 'runners' scratch that itch, especially with the proper theme.  There's a jet ski one I rather like (I forget the name)

Neon Drive gets about the closest, but cars are locked to lanes which isn't enduro-like but seems like a good way to introduce the rhythm-game elements for handling.

Horizon chase almost scratches the itch--it nails the top gear feeling, of course, but those games tend to be busy enough to create more frustration-moments.

Hyperchase is another nice old dodge-racer that uses an analog stick for absolute positioning--very unique. the result being that it feels a little like a paddle game, and now that we have analog sticks on everything, maybe we have room for something with that control scheme again.  It's more of an acquired taste than enduro, but I liked it almost as much.

Yes Horizon Chase is great. I’ll have to check those other ones out- thanks for the tip!

On 6/20/2022 at 9:09 AM, Reaperman said:

Horizon chase almost scratches the itch--it nails the top gear feeling, of course, but those games tend to be busy enough to create more frustration-moments than enduro had. Enduro's lighter traffic tended to build tension with the timer/scene-cycle instead.

Hyperchase is another nice old dodge-racer that could use an update. it uses an analog stick for absolute positioning--very unique. the result being that it feels a little like a paddle game, and now that we have analog sticks on everything, maybe we have room for something with that control scheme again.  It's more of an acquired taste than enduro, but I liked it almost as much.

Check out Slipstream, too.  It's a little rough around the edges, but it scratches that OutRun/Rad Racer itch some for me.

• Like 3

PS3 Twisted Metal remade on PS3 with working controls (D-PAD!,  To control the car of course).

I think most of my other absolute classics, for example Ultimate Qix, Dark Cavern, or Faxanadu  I would Not want to see remade...But would love a sequel (even one very similar to the original) and one where they don't stupidly reuse the name, or at least I'll say they should remember to put "Super" at the front or a subtitle at the end.   And, personally I would cap "Modern" at PS3 or Wii U;  That way I'd still have a console that could play them!

• Like 1

I'd love to see Dark Chambers remade (with a proper save function and some more depth to the gameplay).

The 2600 and 7800 versions are great.  I love them.
But I wish they had expanded a little more with respect to enemy type, weapons, and a save or password feature.  

Only caveat is that it is NOT in 3D.

• Like 4

On 6/22/2022 at 9:48 AM, Leonard Smith said:

I'd love to see Dark Chambers remade (with a proper save function and some more depth to the gameplay).

The 2600 and 7800 versions are great.  I love them.
But I wish they had expanded a little more with respect to enemy type, weapons, and a save or password feature.  

Only caveat is that it is NOT in 3D.

My only beef with Dark Chambers was how enemies “cycled down” as you shot them. I always found that to be off putting.  I’d totally be down with an updated version though.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, jerseystyle said:

My only beef with Dark Chambers was how enemies “cycled down” as you shot them. I always found that to be off putting.  I’d totally be down with an updated version though.

I think it would make a good Recharged game for sure.

• Like 2