IGNORED

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge -- get it!

digdugnate

Since I last posted I got quite a few more hours on and offline with it, also cleared the game with one turtle so far so I got the nice unlockable reward for that too.

That said the game isn't perfect, but it's perfectly fun.  It has what I learned was a term due to this called hyper armor.  Hyper armor simply is you can start up a move and do it, and in that moment of time taken you can not be staggered to finish a move but you can still take damage, even fatal damage.  EVery old turtle arcade game and the 16bitters on SNES/Genesis didn't do this (even NES 2 an 3 didn't.)  It sucks on that point only, because some stages have some horseshit requirement to take no damage to win a challenge, largely finding, people online are failing this stupid requirement, and it plays back to hyper armor.  Instead like most brawlers have done since the 80s where you're clear from taking a hit while doing a hit, this one allows it so it's something to be aware of.  Outside of that, the game is really fun, pretty nice boss strategies and patterns, but also the foot thugs do too, you can't wail on them and hope not to pay for it in return...they're smarter, and have a few more hitpoints too.

If you paraelled the design enough it really apes the hell out of the stages from TMNT Arcade, TMNT 2 Arcade, TMNT 2 and 3 NES, and TMNT4 SNES and 5(?) Hyperstone Heist.  Every last stage from the game is an homage to stages from all six of those titles.  The beach from TMNT3 NES has a similar stage, the bridge from turtles in time (either) is similarly there, and so on.  The overworld map is kind of a gentle nod to TMNT1 NES with the little turtle wagon and spaces to drive to each area next to go.  Various trigger moves of the past like the temporary endlessly spinner move to clear a space pizza is there, blowing up drums with a whack to do crowd control, etc.

Basically you'll be largely comfy with it had you enjoyed any of those 2 arcade, 2 NES, and 2 16bit SNES/Gen games from the franchise as it borrows from all but in good ways so it's not stale as the grunts all think smarter, last longer, and behave differently.  Running in stupid and just mashing B will get your ass handed to you :)

• Like 4

• 6 months later...

Got this game for Xmas. Loving it so far. Fits right in the series of previous games. Playing as Splinter is fun. Gonna try April soon too just cause it's something different than the 4 turtles. Using Donatello as usual. Been using him since back in the day. Ya he's a little slower but his range and damage make it worth it to me. Anyone on the fence over this one, jump on over! Well worth the price of admission :)

On 6/19/2022 at 2:26 PM, Tanooki said:

That said the game isn't perfect, but it's perfectly fun.  It has what I learned was a term due to this called hyper armor.  Hyper armor simply is you can start up a move and do it, and in that moment of time taken you can not be staggered to finish a move but you can still take damage, even fatal damage. 

Hyper armor is in lots of fighting games now, and lots of beatemups too: Streets of Rage 4 has a lot of it, Fightin Rage has a little. As far as I can see, nobody likes it and everyone agrees it's just annoying, except for game designers apparently. Never seen it in a game from the old days, but apparently developers think they're improving on the old formulas by adding it even while everyone is begging them to stop.