IGNORED

Why is this game listed as "free?"

Razzie.P

So, with the new changes to the PS+ subscriptions, I'm seeing things that make no sense to me.  Like, why is Wild Arms showing in the store as "free?"

I bought it years ago on PS3, but based on other titles, it seems it should show "in library" instead of Free.

Not a complaint, but I'm trying to understand what they're doing with these titles that are suddenly supported because for those that aren't in my library, I'm not sure how to track them down and add them easily.  Filtering the store by "free" doesn't seem to work, bc it doesn't even shows Wild Arms.

Also, when downloading it, it asks to choose between PS4 and PS5 versions, but nothing telling me the differences, if any.  

So yeah, I don't really understand what they're doing with these.

Free001.thumb.jpg.f8625b51d3be18641ac5fb8aa41dc82f.jpg

Free002.thumb.jpg.9cc03172b1bee289474d8b5ff5e362bf.jpg

19 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

Also, when downloading it, it asks to choose between PS4 and PS5 versions, but nothing telling me the differences, if any.  

The general differences are:

The PS5 version will require you to use a Dual Sense controller,  it may or may not use the new haptics.   PS5 versions must be run from SSD, it cannot be run from an external drive,  PS4 games can.

PS5 versions may have enhanced graphics or use other PS5 features

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, zzip said:

The general differences are:

The PS5 version will require you to use a Dual Sense controller,  it may or may not use the new haptics.   PS5 versions must be run from SSD, it cannot be run from an external drive,  PS4 games can.

PS5 versions may have enhanced graphics or use other PS5 features

Thanks.  Seems odd they'd require that specific controller for a PS1 title.  Wonder if they added anything neat?

26 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

I guess it would show "in library" if you had already downloaded it.

Nah, I have hundreds that show "in library" that were never downloaded.  That's what seems odd to me.

16 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

Nah, I have hundreds that show "in library" that were never downloaded.  That's what seems odd to me.

I'm confused. I do not have PS+. Is Sony allowing users to download the PS4/PS5 versions of PS1 titles if they previously purchased them on PS3/PSP?

16 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

Thanks.  Seems odd they'd require that specific controller for a PS1 title.  Wonder if they added anything neat?

I think it's just a requirement for a PS5 game to use the newest controllers,  they don't have to add any features.

For instance, if you want to make a PSVR game, it has to be a PS4 mode game in order to use the PS4 peripherals (DS4 with light bar, Move controllers).  PS5 mode games cannot access these things apparently.   The upcoming PSVR2 will have new motion controllers.   It's confusing, but I get why they're doing it so they don't have to support the old stuff forever.

18 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

I bought it years ago on PS3, but based on other titles, it seems it should show "in library" instead of Free.

Then the PS3 version is in your library but PS5 doesn't show PS3 games.   The PS4/PS5 versions won't automatically be added to your library.

They did have a concept called PSN game or cross-buy, where if you downloaded it on one platform, then it became available to you on every playstation platform that had that game.   I'm not sure if they still do that, doesn't seem as common as it used to be.

On 6/18/2022 at 12:41 PM, Austin said:

That's awesome news if true. I'll have to fire up my PS4 and see if any past PS1 purchases are available for me.

I tried it today with Resident Evil Directors cut and it was a no go. Told me I had to have a membership to play it so that may BS what I heard.

5 hours ago, Punisher5.0 said:

I tried it today with Resident Evil Directors cut and it was a no go. Told me I had to have a membership to play it so that may BS what I heard.

Aw man, that sucks. Thanks for trying (I haven't gotten around to doing so myself yet).

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/22/2022 at 1:39 AM, Punisher5.0 said:

OK, so apparently you *CAN* download previously purchased games, but there may be some variables involved. I was able to download Jumping Flash, Syphon Filter and Wild Arms. However, I wasn't able to download RE Director's Cut or Oddworld: Abe's Odyssey (pretty sure I purchased both previously). Note that these do not show in your "library" until after you download them. You have to first find them in the store, or go to "PS Plus" in your library, then seek out the games in that area (there's a section for PSP, PS1 and PS2 games).

Unfortunately, the PS1 selection is sort of abysmal right now. Not a lot that I've previously purchased has carried over. I hope this is heavily expanded in the future, as I'd love to carry my previous purchases forward. On the bright side, some of these aren't just relegated to the subscription plan and can be purchased separately. At a quick glance some of the prices are pretty reasonable too, at $5 (cheaper than on PSN in the past). That said, some were also $10 (like Worms Armageddon), so it's not all good.

PS3 is pretty much a no-go. As far as I can tell, they are relying strictly on streaming for those and thus requires the subscription. For instance, I have Raiden IV Overkill on PS3, but it will not let me download it to my PS4. Seems to be streaming only.