IGNORED

Rob 'n' Banks release thread

Ryan Witmer

Calling this release candidate 1.  I don't quite have all the intermission music yet, but I'm pretty sure the game play stuff isn't going to change unless someone finds a bug.  This build has the string Release candidate 1, 9/20/2022 256 bytes from the end of the file.

Here's a short list of the changes that I remember:

• Made the controller dead zone slightly larger to make the controls less sensitive.
  • Messed around a little with sound priorities.
  • Intermission 2 now has its music.  The same music plays for intermissions 1 and 3, but it doesn't really fit right.

Perhaps most importantly, I managed to complete the heart stage.  It took me awhile, but when I did it, it was on a single life!  I see no need to make any difficulty adjustments, learn to use those doors and you can make it.

So here she is.  Once I get the music, I'll do a proper final release with source code if all goes well.

robnbanks_rc1.bin

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

OK, this is it.

Rob 'n' Banks 1.0.  Identifier is Release 1.0, 9/27/2022 256 bytes from the end of the file, as always.

This includes the last of @Synthpopalooza's excellent intermission music, along with a couple graphical tweaks.  Also, complete source code is included, I expect someone will pop out an A8 conversion within a couple weeks.

I also made this trailer:

robnbanks.zip

• Like 15
  • Thanks 5

I'll make sure to review this on the all-new Atari 5200 SuperReport and let the whole world know how this one plays!!! I just have to upload this to my SD card on my Atarimax, play it, clean myself up (to look presentable on camera) and then I'll be filming a batch of episodes and this will be on one of them!!!

In part, this is why the 5200 SuperReport was put on hold for a while, it was in anticipation of this now-instant classic (not unlike some sports on that old ESPN network of that same name), as I wanted to be one of if not the first to review it myself, see ya on the 1st!!!

793460627_Atari5200SuperReportwithRayJackson-PromoPic.jpg.2996ae38bd85145670d58dc084632a98.jpg

Edited by BIGHMW
  • Like 1

Just now, BIGHMW said:

I'll make sure to review this on the all-new Atari 5200 SuperReport and let the whole world know how this one plays!!! I just have to upload this to my SD card on my Atarimax, play it, clean myself up (to look presentable on camera) and then I'll be filming a batch of episodes and this will be on one of them!!!

In part, this is why the 5200 SuperReport was put on hold for a while, it was in anticipation of this now-instant classic (not unlike some sports on that old ESPN network of that same name), as I wanted to be one of if not the first to review it myself, see ya on the 1st!!!

793460627_Atari5200SuperReportwithRayJackson-PromoPic.jpg.2996ae38bd85145670d58dc084632a98.jpg

I will be watching :)

Just now, Ryan Witmer said:

OK, this is it.

Rob 'n' Banks 1.0.  Identifier is Release 1.0, 9/27/2022 256 bytes from the end of the file, as always.

This includes the last of @Synthpopalooza's excellent intermission music, along with a couple graphical tweaks.  Also, complete source code is included, I expect someone will pop out an A8 conversion within a couple weeks.

I also made this trailer:

robnbanks.zip 85.41 kB · 8 downloads

Shared with the Atari 5200 Podcast facebook page. I will be buying a copy for myself. Hopefully Capt. Bob will pick it up for me at PRGE.

Well, David, I did put Barnstorming a while ago as my debut episode and maybe you can critique my work on the SuperReport (so I can improve on my presentation skills) once that episode is uploaded, you'll find all episodes on my Ray Jackson YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/c/RayJacksonbighmw

Edited by BIGHMW

This final release is super, all three intermissions music is awsome, and very nice touch on the car wheels, that really picks it up a notch. This is just a superb piece of work. Thank you to all involved on this project.

Some info about the cover art:

I was contacted very early in development by @Henry Lee, who offered to do the art.  If you don't know, he's the artist who did the cover for Beef Drop.  I've always thought of Lock 'n' Chase and Burgertime as "sister games," since they both ran on the same Data East arcade hardware.  I thought it would be really cool to have the same artist for the 5200 versions of both games.

He did some fantastic work and everything came out great.  Can't wait to get my hands on a real copy at PRGE next month.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Ryan Witmer said:

Some info about the cover art:

I was contacted very early in development by @Henry Lee, who offered to do the art.  If you don't know, he's the artist who did the cover for Beef Drop.  I've always thought of Lock 'n' Chase and Burgertime as "sister games," since they both ran on the same Data East arcade hardware.  I thought it would be really cool to have the same artist for the 5200 versions of both games.

He did some fantastic work and everything came out great.  Can't wait to get my hands on a real copy at PRGE next month.

Me too :)

13 hours ago, Albert said:

Rob 'n' Banks will make its debut at the Portland Retro Gaming Expo in two weeks.  Here's a render of the box front and back:

5200_RobNBanks_Render_Boxes.jpg

Portland Retro Gaming Expo will be available in the AtariAge Store in early November!

..Al

Hey Albert, what is the stock situation going to be for this and the other 5200/7800 releases you're debuting at PRGE?  With so many new games coming available at the same time, might have to spread orders out but don't want to miss anything (lol).

7 minutes ago, retrogmr said:

Hey Albert, what is the stock situation going to be for this and the other 5200/7800 releases you're debuting at PRGE?  With so many new games coming available at the same time, might have to spread orders out but don't want to miss anything (lol).

They will be available indefinitely, so you should have no problems purchasing them down the road.

..Al

• Like 2

I found a small issue in the 1.0 binary.  Not a huge deal, but the Game Over screen wasn't showing up unless you set a high score.

I've made up a 1.01 version with the tag Release 1.01, 10/2/2022 256 bytes from the end.  Attached is the corrected build and source code.

robnbanks.zip

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/5/2022 at 9:54 AM, Ryan Witmer said:

Much to my eternal embarrassment, found another small glitch that needed fixing.  The high score detection was bugged and sometimes detected high scores that weren't.  So here's Release 1.02, 10/4/2022 with updated source code.

robnbanks.zip 83.17 kB · 122 downloads

Hi Ryan You should be seeing Capt Bob soon to get my copy of Rob N Banks. Maybe you can sign the instructions for me :)

Edited by David Alexander