IGNORED

Coco3 problems

jham55

Hey folks I’ve seen a couple posts about this but wanted to get your thoughts. I have a coco2 and coco3. The 2 works on boot to where I can type but any game in it and it turns orange. On the 3 is just shooting a green screen no text boot. I opened them up and don’t see any caps that are bad. Most of the chips are soldered in. I was going to buy a part to reseat the GIME to start. Is that fair? I’m happy to recap the whole thing but not sure it’s necessary yet. 

Edited by jham55
update

You can make a gime puller with a paperclip or something.. .

Clean and inspect everything.. try pushing on the board lightly with a eraser and see if anything changes..

Clean and reseat the vdg chip 6847 on the coco2 

Check the voltage level, see if it lower with a cart inserted..

They are tough machines..you will get them going

On 6/17/2022 at 11:48 AM, jham55 said:

I was going to buy a part to reseat the GIME to start. 

I usually use a jeweler's flat blade screwdriver to take a chip like that out.  Truthfully, I have no idea what the proper tool looks like.  The main thing is exercising patience and moving each corner of the chip up in small increments.

On 6/17/2022 at 11:48 AM, jham55 said:

I’m happy to recap the whole thing but not sure it’s necessary yet. 

If a cap has gone bad, measuring the AC voltage on it will usually tell you something.about its condition.  After a short settling time it should stabilize very close to zero volts on a regulated supply.  An unregulated supply might tolerate a significant ripple, though.  I don't remember there being much of that in the COCO3 though.

You might check the DRAMs.  They will be socketed so you could reseat those.  I can't remember the symptoms of a mismatch on the decoupling caps to the RAMs, but it was the first place my mind went when I read your post. 

If it has 128K the caps need to be connected.  There will be four(4) 64Kx4 DRAM chips on the mother board for 128K.  The 512K DRAM will be on a daughter board.  Mine all have 16 256Kx1 chips.  For 512K the decoupling caps, which the 64K chips needed on their power supply pins, need to be disconnected from the 9th address line for the 256K chips.  I'm unfamiliar with the larger memory setups but I imagine they also use this 9th address bus.

I hope this helps.  Good luck.

HH

6 minutes ago, jham55 said:

So after running the coco3 for a bit two things I noticed was that the voltage regulator shield was super hot and the Mc68B09EP chip was warm but not hot.. all the other chips were cool.

I think that is all pretty much normal, but it has been a while since I've opened one of those up.

That might be a good way to go if you already possess the DRAMs.  How much do you know about this particular COCO3?  If a previous owner upgraded the RAM, but never got it to work afterwards, you may be looking at a simple botched upgrade.  Did you check the decoupling caps that the original 64K DRAMs would have required?  With 512K they should be disconnected.  

I'm afraid I don't remember their exact location.  I'll dig out one of my COCO3s when I get home.  Looking at your picture I'd say they have been removed already.  I'll confirm their location later, after I check one of mine.

Edited by hhos
Left ko it a word

On 6/18/2022 at 11:55 AM, hhos said:

I usually use a jeweler's flat blade screwdriver to take a chip like that out.  Truthfully, I have no idea what the proper tool looks like.  The main thing is exercising patience and moving each corner of the chip up in small increments.

<< BIG SNIP >>

The Black Handled puller in this link:
https://www.amazon.com/PHONSUN-Extractor-Motherboard-Component-Extraction/dp/B071HW5FV5/ref=sr_1_1_sspa

MarkO

On 6/19/2022 at 3:05 PM, jham55 said:

Looks like C65 was removed. So at this point I need a good replacement RAM for the 16 chips.

C65 and C66 are the Caps that are Removed when the original 4464s are removed and a 256KB, or 512KB, or 1MB, or 2MB RAM is installed...

There are a couple sources for modern 512KB and 2MB SRAM boards....

To use the RAM beyond 512KB, the CPU needs to be Removed and a PCB is installed with Extra Address Lines.  You might as well replace that MC6809 with the HD6309, it's CMOS instead of NMOS and has some very cool features that is leveraged with various Software..

MarkO

Edited by MarkO
Additional Info

Disclaimer:

I'm afraid I remembered incorrectly about that cap, C65.  It is not a decoupling cap, and it is on the RAS/ signal from the GIME.  C66 is not mentioned in the conversion procedure in my tech manual.

I have experimented with the memory to see what would cause the symptoms observed.  It turns out that any failure of any chip in the DRAM will cause the green screen, so the memory is the probable cause as jham55 has deduced. 

I have a problem with believing it, though. In the past 40+ years I've had several dozens of memory failures, in computers that is, but only 3 or 4 were caused by the memory chip itself.  I've seen the pins corrode off in cheap sockets, but then I've seen boards left out in the weather, covered with rust, clean up just fine and run with no further problem.  I am still inclined to look for a more immediate remedy.  However, there is a lot of 25 41256-10 DRAMs on eBay for roughly $20, including shipping.  Search 256K DRAM.  That's 100nS and you only need 150nS chips.

Hhos

I have been seeing alot of ram failing in the 1980's computers these days.. although the caps were pretty good for the coco i have had to replace some and recap my msx2..

Those 2 caps that get clipped are in a rc configuration and change the shape/timing of the signal..my guess would be all those extra chips add capacitance to the citcuit naturally :)

On 6/21/2022 at 4:39 AM, jham55 said:

I'm fine replacing the RAM thats there but I just need to know which chips to buy.

If your replacing the RAM in the DIP Sockets, they are 4464 at 120ns, because the CoCo 3 does almost 2MHz..

For the "classic" Radio-Shack 512KB, your looking at 41256.  Some of the Tandy 512KB boards have 16, P21256-10 RAM on them.

For "modern" RAM, the SRAM Boards from Cloud-9 are available, ( http://www.frontiernet.net/~mmarlette/Cloud-9/Hardware/512K.html ).  And "someday", when I get my production issues resolved, I'll have 512KB and 2MB SRAM of the Boyson Tech Boomerang boards.    Cloud-9 has a 2MB SRAM board, but I can't locate the Link...

MarkO