IGNORED

Making A New Atari 5200 Controller In The Original Form Factor

Lucas Lac124

Lucas Lac124 you have created a wonderful product!  I like that we can use the overlays, the centering joystick and the larger fire buttons.  A lot of people have spent money upgrading their original controllers with gold flex circuits and buttons but they are still made of rubber and give you a mushy feel.  I would recommend you send a unit to Wired Up Retro, he specializes in all the different controllers you can use with the 5200.  Exposure on his channel will certainly help your sales.  He might also mention it on the 5200 podcast.  

• Like 1

I'm taking @Stephen's advice and SAVING my dough, but, I will put aside just enough to get one of these as well. Other than that, I have already taken action and have put Hulu on pause for 3 months, that alone combined saves $240.00 over 3 months, plus I am starting to take transit as opposed to gassing up my ride since they (Jefferson Transit) have had this FREE FARE thing going on since the inception of the pandemic so I will definitely take advantage of that, and also it's a very good thing I stockpiled enough food months ago that will last me quite awhile so yes, unless I am going out of county I'll just stick around town and IF I ever need to do shop I'll just simply order online rather than drive 30-40 miles out and be disappointed that they don't have what I want when I get there.

......and besides, all the gear I wanted I already got, now it's just a matter of both dialing it in and using it (or downloading/capturing it and archiving it if it's entertainment-related), and as for the wardrobe or other gear or whatever I don't want anymore I'll just simply throw up on Poshmark, Mercari or eBay and as the Atari/Coleco-related gear I'll just save up my dough for it and get rid of whatever I'm not intending to use anytime soon, so expect (at least) one of my Flashback 9 units (I own 2, one as a backup in case the other one croaks) up for grabs here on AA soon as I DO already have the 2600 adapter and Harmony Encore for my 5200, and that'll set me fine along with both Atarimax multicarts (5200 and ColecoVision). The V61/Atari Sales (5200) and CollectorVision (ColecoVision) carts will happen later on but I DO want to have $500.00 left after bills/rent by the end of October before we splurge again.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2022 at 6:57 PM, Lucas Lac124 said:

I have, as of this date, purchased the materials required to build 17 Atari 5200 controllers, as well as a second 3D printer in order to churn out parts at a faster pace. The next few weeks will be dedicated to printing, painting, soldering, and screwing everything together. Since most elements of the controller are now essentially finalized, I am feeling more confident to give release information. Therefore, I can solidly state that the initial controller batch (which will likely be the only batch unless there are sufficient purchases for time reinvestment), will cost $75.00 on eBay to purchase: before tax, shipping, and platform fees.

You're batch is just going to be 17 controllers, sold on eBay?

That is all that I can afford at the moment. If I sell through those relatively quickly, I will be able to afford 2 to 3 times that amount, and so on.

Lucas Lac124

I wouldn’t worry about eBay, there is obviously enough interest here to fill that initial batch of 17 controllers.

And remember I was #1 in line for these! [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Might these be sold through the AtariAge store?

Also, not necessary but thought I'd ask, might it be possible to switch which side has the "top" fire button and which side has the "bottom" fire button?  Not a priority but would be convenient to be able to make a controller "left-handed" as it were.  But it wouldn't matter really if that can't be done, or it's too complicated or expensive.

Just the idea of new controllers that are self-centering (some games don't need it, others really need it) and have fire buttons that aren't mushy sounds fantastic.

• Like 1

I'll have to get one of those when they become available.  Normally I'd want to try something like this first (my idea of a comfortable controller may differ from others) but the price is really reasonable so I'll take the risk.

21 hours ago, Leonard Smith said:

How durable are 3D printed cases?  Would they stand up to usage as a controller or does the resin/plastic or whatever it is degrade with heat and moisture?

Normally they're solid as a rock.  Might not be as smooth as traditional plastic. 

On 7/14/2022 at 10:15 PM, Lucas Lac124 said:

That is all that I can afford at the moment. If I sell through those relatively quickly, I will be able to afford 2 to 3 times that amount, and so on.

Understandable, but if you did a preorder here just with Paypal or whatever, they'd sell out, as would probably another dozen or two.

I am in for two, please, if there are any left.  The 5200 is the only system I am now missing from the ones I had back in the day.

...now if only the person who was going to make the 'cartridge size' 5200 (you had to use the actual chips from the 5200) would continue his work, that would be ideal.

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 4

On 6/20/2022 at 6:19 AM, Lucas Lac124 said:

Sadly, it was not practical to add 2 sets of trigger buttons to the controller. Thankfully, this does not affect the function of the controller.

I just saw your post and without wading into 4 pages of already posted comments, I just wanted to mention that Atari Inc had intended with the CX52J redesign to only use 2 fire buttons and basically of the same size and design of the fire buttons on the CX24 ProLine controllers famously used by the 7800. The late Curt Vendel posted pics of the design here in the AtariAge Forums years ago. Of course, the prototype versions he had in his possession were "just" CX52s retrofitted with the self-centering joystick mechanism they designed but unfortunately didn't release due to a.) the discontinuation of the console, b.) Atari Inc itself going down the drain at the time, and later c.) the successor Atari Corp possibly not even being aware of their existence.

Edited by Lynxpro
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...