IGNORED

Posted another Paddle Test

In the programing section.

I am mentioning here to get the widest exposure.

Point is, I have solved most of the paddle issues.  Fast tracking, great response that would rival most mouse pointers from 35 years ago.

SAC Spinners, Driving and Roller Controller are solid on.

But, with all good things there always has to be a fart in the elevator.

So, no matter how I initialize or call the BIOS routine the pointer flies off the handle until it initializes.

I've tried reading it, resetting it, yelling at it.

What I would like to do is give the spinners a starting point so if I set my sprite at 70, 90 xy then the spinners start at 70, 90 xy.

So if someone has the solution to this could you fill me in.

Here is the repost of v3 which is padded to work on real equipment and believe your own eyes if you have an ADE or AtariMax should also work.

This opens up a host of possibilities from an updated Centipede exclusive to a track ball, Missile Command, Bowling.

If I can solve the initial jump problem I will incorporate the spinners into my Warlords prototype

So, Ideas.....solutions friends

paddle test3.rom

Here is my final version unless "YOU" guys find bugs.

I tested this on the ADAM and it works fast and flawless on my equipment.

Padded for ADAM's pleasure....

Posted for history because I know it is no huge deal for you but it was a journey for me.

A big thanks to PkK and Tony Cruise for their work among all the others.

With that, they provided their parts but my largest revelation came from using IDA Pro to disassemble Slither.

My knowledge of how the Colecovision works allowed me to trace every BIOS calls, references to data structures.

Heck, this thing is so good I can identify all the graphics and sound among the calls to the poller, fire control, random generators and all the different routines.  If you need something disassembled and mapped I will see what I can do because it does take a bit.

At one point I used a hex editor to merge the bios, added the missing ram up to $8000 where I put the rom.

IDA mapped every single reference which was mind blowing.

Someone on the FB page was asking about Diablo on a cartridge so maybe I will take a look unless someone else is working on it.

I'm not a member so I can not communicate with them.

Anyway...

All these routines I have perfected can be used in any game that needs Roller or Spinner support which includes driving games.
Enduro?  Pole Position?

BTW, for some reason on my CoolCV there is still a bounce which I think has to do with how CoolCV handled the initial mouse to spinner conversion.
I could not get a working roller with any other emulator to test but again, on my ADAM it works perfectly and this version has 4 walls.

The padded is 1k

The compiled final is 201b

CC

Paddle Test Final.rom

Paddle Test Final.rom

Edited by Captain Cozmos

I just completed a small test for the author of CoolCV.

I deleted my custom settings and used default map.

So, I loaded Slither and it does jump when I shift F5 to engage the mouse.

This occurs only if I do this after the load screen.

Apparently after that it resets all the vectors and what not when the actual game is started.

Now, when I am playing, if I disengage the mouse move it then reengage then it bounces.

I suspect that if I made some similar effort that this would solve the bouncing in this paddle test rom but there is no reason to go that far for just a test.

Now, if I go on to make games that work great on the real deal and not in CoolCV then it will have to be lived with or CoolCV has to be updated.

I spent countless hours trying to make that bounce go away but the problem was two fold.
It happened on the real equipment which mirrored in CoolCV.

So I could have solved this 50x over and would have never known it.
After I disassembled Slither and copied what it's writer did then it still bounced but I had the sense to try it anyway on my ADAM and the issue was solved.

So it was obviously two separate issues unless it crops up on someone else hardware.

I have mentioned this before but we have to have the tools to do the job.

Today, the Colecovision is ancient news so lets face it.  We are the only ones keeping it alive.

So, if I am going to invest countless hours working on a piece of software to share with the community it should be met with support.

A modern development environment and support from your friends.

This paddle situation was a pain but I did it and when I seen that cursor fly across my monitor on real hardware was joy.

To see the cursor go side to side using the driving module was beyond my excitement because it took me back when I first bought Turbo when it came out.

It was $75 and took me a long time to save that money but I had a steering wheel.

Now "I" am making games to use it some 40 years later.

Need the tools updated.
Tile Editor, Emulators, Documentation.

CC

Edited by Captain Cozmos