IGNORED

MAME PC Questions

Tempest

Nope nothing works.  I tried just Triple Buffering and then I tried each of the other options and all of them together.  Nothing helped.  I guess there's nothing that can be done and my TV just isn't going to play nicely with MAME. 

That's a bummer! You could look through some reddit threads... They'll show up on Google searches like "MAME screen tearing" and such. There might be someone with the same model TV out there who found a solution. Otherwise, if you can get it going on your CRT, that's actually a really nice authentic option and you don't have to worry about setting up shaders to mimic a CRT appearance. It should also be lag-free.

1 hour ago, Zoyous said:

That's a bummer! You could look through some reddit threads... They'll show up on Google searches like "MAME screen tearing" and such. There might be someone with the same model TV out there who found a solution. Otherwise, if you can get it going on your CRT, that's actually a really nice authentic option and you don't have to worry about setting up shaders to mimic a CRT appearance. It should also be lag-free.

Is this actually screen tearing or is it something else?  I've seen pictures of tearing and it doesn't quite look like I'm seeing.

21 minutes ago, Tempest said:

Is this actually screen tearing or is it something else?  I've seen pictures of tearing and it doesn't quite look like I'm seeing.

That's what I've always referred to it as... sort of a horizontal split across the image that happens when it's scrolling.

My gut feeling is that it will be the same result, since MAME is going to keep updating the screen at the rate that the game calls for, and that's out of sync with your display. But if you don't mind spending the time setting it up, why not give it a try?

I think it depends on the game. Different games/systems run at different refresh rates. But there are a lot of games that run at 60 fps, so I would definitely give 60p a try. The "p" means progressive - it will draw the entire screen at once, while the ones with an "i" mean it will be interlaced - drawing first all the odd lines of the screen, then all the even lines. So typically with an HDTV progressive is preferable. Interlacing was more common on CRTs.

15 hours ago, Zoyous said:

I think it depends on the game. Different games/systems run at different refresh rates. But there are a lot of games that run at 60 fps, so I would definitely give 60p a try. The "p" means progressive - it will draw the entire screen at once, while the ones with an "i" mean it will be interlaced - drawing first all the odd lines of the screen, then all the even lines. So typically with an HDTV progressive is preferable. Interlacing was more common on CRTs.

Oddly enough I tried removing all the options and running the game in windowed mode and the issue went away.  Why would this be?  I don't really want to run games in the windowed mode since it's kind of distracting (although the actual gameplay area is almost exactly the same). 

BTW I'm seeing this tearing even using the regular MAME (not MAMEUI) and running on an old CRT. I'm wondering if this is just something with the video card on my computer?

Hmm, I think when you run in windowed mode, it's keeping the same refresh rate that your PC typically uses for the desktop and any other windowed application. When you go into full screen mode, it changes to the refresh rate of the emulated game itself.

2 minutes ago, Zoyous said:

Hmm, I think when you run in windowed mode, it's keeping the same refresh rate that your PC typically uses for the desktop and any other windowed application. When you go into full screen mode, it changes to the refresh rate of the emulated game itself.

Is there an option in MAME to make it do that in full screen mode?

Any idea why I'm still seeing this issue on a CRT monitor and on a the little lcd monitor that came with the computer?  Could it be the refresh rate thing still?

1 minute ago, Tempest said:

Is there an option in MAME to make it do that in full screen mode?

Any idea why I'm still seeing this issue on a CRT monitor and on a the little lcd monitor that came with the computer?  Could it be the refresh rate thing still?

It's a bit beyond me - you should try asking in the emulation forum here: https://atariage.com/forums/forum/5-emulation/

Is your CRT a TV or a computer monitor? A monitor is likely to have a faster refresh rate than a TV.

11 minutes ago, Zoyous said:

Heh... maybe? I'm currently stumped. What is that game that you're showing in your footage? I'll try taking a look at it on my setup.

Captain Commando.  It boots quickly and you can see the issue right away.  That's why I'm using it for testing.

The first screen that MAME shows before running the game says that Captain Commando's refresh rate is 59.637045 Hz. (The same is probably true for any Capcom game of the same era using the same hardware.)

Testing it on my setup, I don't have any screen tearing, but I'm using a monitor with Freesync.

I think if you've tried all the options within MAME one by one and they can't resolve the issue, you might have arrived at the limits of what's possible with your current setup. It's possible that there's some combination of settings that you haven't tried yet that would work, but it seems like you've been pretty thorough. I think the simplest solutions would be a) spend no money and enjoy the game even with a bit of screen tearing, or b) spend some money and get a Freesync/Gsync display, because even if you find the perfect settings for this game, you'd be faced with the same puzzle for any other scrolling game with a different refresh rate.

cc-info.jpg

I tried looking for info on screen tearing for Capcom CPS1 games. I wasn't able to find much, but I did find a thread about CPS2 games where Street Fighter experts were saying that they felt like it ran slightly faster on MAME. (That would make sense if it was sped up from 59.637405 Hz to 60 Hz.) But anyway, one person mentioned trying GroovyMAME instead of regular MAME, because apparently it's better at adapting the refresh rate to the monitor. Maybe worth a try?

"GroovyMAME is a multi-platform fork of MAME with greater emphasis on CRT monitor support, in order to provide smoother gameplay with less input lag than using regular MAME on an LCD screen."

https://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/GroovyMAME

Edited by Zoyous

15 minutes ago, Zoyous said:

I tried looking for info on screen tearing for Capcom CPS1 games. I wasn't able to find much, but I did find a thread about CPS2 games where Street Fighter experts were saying that they felt like it ran slightly faster on MAME. (That would make sense if it was sped up from 59.637405 Hz to 60 Hz.) But anyway, one person mentioned trying GroovyMAME instead of regular MAME, because apparently it's better at adapting the refresh rate to the monitor. Maybe worth a try?

"GroovyMAME is a multi-platform fork of MAME with greater emphasis on CRT monitor support, in order to provide smoother gameplay with less input lag than using regular MAME on an LCD screen."

https://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/GroovyMAME

But I'm not going to use this on my CRT, but rather my TV.

I think you're right though, I'm obsessing over those CPS games but the bulk of the rest look just fine.  They may have a tiny bit of screen tearing here and there but honestly it's not noticeable like it is in the CPS games.

Since MAMEUI uses an old fork of MAME that people say has problems, I'm looking to use regular MAME but with a front end.  Have you tried either ARCADE or MameFave?

https://arcade.mameworld.info/

https://superiorcode.gitlab.io/mamefave/

1 hour ago, Tempest said:

But I'm not going to use this on my CRT, but rather my TV.

I think you're right though, I'm obsessing over those CPS games but the bulk of the rest look just fine.  They may have a tiny bit of screen tearing here and there but honestly it's not noticeable like it is in the CPS games.

Since MAMEUI uses an old fork of MAME that people say has problems, I'm looking to use regular MAME but with a front end.  Have you tried either ARCADE or MameFave?

https://arcade.mameworld.info/

https://superiorcode.gitlab.io/mamefave/

Is MameUI not built on the same code base as standard Mame?

http://www.mameui.info/