IGNORED

It's Conner time! The final version is here.

Ecernosoft

On 8/12/2022 at 1:02 PM, Ecernosoft said:

Well, my game uses 2 buttons. One jumps and the other runs/throws the boomerang. 

On 8/12/2022 at 1:02 PM, Ecernosoft said:

IDK which is which, same control style as bently bear. 

At this point, unless something changes significantly with how you are choosing to communicate, I have to throw my hands up and walk away.

Please bear in mind that you are asking people to provide their time and effort - without compensation - to playtest your game.  Most people (myself included) are going to be happy to do that, but unless your communication with those testers is sufficient to help them help you, it's just not worth continuing to invest time in providing free bug reports and requests for clarification.

• Like 2

@Ecernosoft You first post is good, you communicate the revisions that you have made etc. You could declutter it a bit, just keeping the significant updates for download. It took me a while to figure out the most recent was way down the bottom as there are a lot of files! That's ok, but remember any barrier that a tester has to get past so that they can get your file and test it, means less people are likely to test it and provide feedback.

If you look at a lot of other posts by other developers here, you will see that they usually include a section on controls when introducing their game. 

Some games are pick up and play and the controls are intuitive. With 2 button games, I never leave it to chance, I always explain what the buttons do. That way folks won't miss out on what could be a key part of the gameplay experience, whether that's activating a shield or accessing the inventory or throwing a boomerang :).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Muddyfunster said:

@Ecernosoft You first post is good, you communicate the revisions that you have made etc. You could declutter it a bit, just keeping the significant updates for download. It took me a while to figure out the most recent was way down the bottom as there are a lot of files! That's ok, but remember any barrier that a tester has to get past so that they can get your file and test it, means less people are likely to test it and provide feedback.

If you look at a lot of other posts by other developers here, you will see that they usually include a section on controls when introducing their game. 

Some games are pick up and play and the controls are intuitive. With 2 button games, I never leave it to chance, I always explain what the buttons do. That way folks won't miss out on what could be a key part of the gameplay experience, whether that's activating a shield or accessing the inventory or throwing a boomerang :).

Well, yes.

I didn't because really, it's like saying this to a new SMB player "To jump, press A and to run, press B"

They would probably figure it out when they play the game.

Same control style as bently bear though

39 minutes ago, Ecernosoft said:

Well, yes.

I didn't because really, it's like saying this to a new SMB player "To jump, press A and to run, press B"

Cool, you do what you think is best, I was just trying to help :).

5 hours ago, Ecernosoft said:

As @Muddyfunster said, it's your game and you can develop it as you want, but in relation the above reply, I'm out.  It's just not worth the frustration of trying to deal with this level of communication when I (or anyone else, for that matter) am trying to help you improve it, and particularly not when that's being done on a volunteer basis.

Best of luck with it, and hope it comes together as you would like it to.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

At this point, unless something changes significantly with how you are choosing to communicate, I have to throw my hands up and walk away.

Please bear in mind that you are asking people to provide their time and effort - without compensation - to playtest your game.  Most people (myself included) are going to be happy to do that, but unless your communication with those testers is sufficient to help them help you, it's just not worth continuing to invest time in providing free bug reports and requests for clarification.

Yes.

I'm not trying to ask people to playtest my game or ANYTHING.

I'm just updating the forum with the latest (And last) version.

In fact, I'm porting ICT to 2600, so when that's ready, I'll post in 2600 forum

But ICT7800 is paused for now.

14 hours ago, Ecernosoft said:

I'm not trying to ask people to playtest my game or ANYTHING.  I'm just updating the forum with the latest (And last) version.

Please understand that by posting the game and inviting feedback, you are by default asking for playtesting.  It's a game in development, and by playing it it's de facto being tested.

Perhaps I misunderstood what you meant by the following in the first post of the thread:

On 6/24/2022 at 5:07 PM, Ecernosoft said:

Please also let me know what you think about the game, and how we can make It's Conner time! Not feel like an SMB clone!

If I'm experiencing issues with the game on the hardware I'm running it on, letting you know about those issues falls into the 'please let me know what you think about the game' category by my understanding of how your request was written.

None of the questions I have asked of you have been made from the standpoint of trying to somehow beat you down over the game.  I am genuinely trying to figure out why it has never worked on my hardware at anywhere near the level of playability that other people (yourself included) have experienced.

This is a normal part of testing software in development.  It doesn't mean that your game is automatically at fault: my hardware could very easily be the problem, and, if it is, I am more than happy for that to be the case because it means the root cause of an issue has potentially been narrowed down and may be easier to find as a result.

The point is that it's not slinging blame when someone says, "hey, I'm seeing this on my end," or, "can you please describe your development environment to me?"  These are attempts at figuring out where an issue may actually exist.  But without clear communication, nobody involved is going to get anywhere.

In any event, it seems as though you've decided to put development on hold, so as far as ICT goes further testing is currently a moot point.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Please understand that by posting the game and inviting feedback, you are by default asking for playtesting.  It's a game in development, and by playing it it's de facto being tested.

Perhaps I misunderstood what you meant by the following in the first post of the thread:

If I'm experiencing issues with the game on the hardware I'm running it on, letting you know about those issues falls into the 'please let me know what you think about the game' category by my understanding of how your request was written.

None of the questions I have asked of you have been made from the standpoint of trying to somehow beat you down over the game.  I am genuinely trying to figure out why it has never worked on my hardware at anywhere near the level of playability that other people (yourself included) have experienced.

This is a normal part of testing software in development.  It doesn't mean that your game is automatically at fault: my hardware could very easily be the problem, and, if it is, I am more than happy for that to be the case because it means the root cause of an issue has potentially been narrowed down and may be easier to find as a result.

The point is that it's not slinging blame when someone says, "hey, I'm seeing this on my end," or, "can you please describe your development environment to me?"  These are attempts at figuring out where an issue may actually exist.  But without clear communication, nobody involved is going to get anywhere.

In any event, it seems as though you've decided to put development on hold, so as far as ICT goes further testing is currently a moot point.

Oh- you're right, lol.

I don't want to be like "Oh play my game! Play my game! Play my game!"

I was just asking to se if anyone would have something to say about the game. I'll go edit that now.

On 8/19/2022 at 3:59 PM, gambler172 said:

Well....I always check your actual

versions. The last version has only a few bugs.

It is getting better , but still a lot of work

until there is a good game.

Yeah.... Well, things aren't looking too hot. 

ICT was meant to be a full game but it's just not graphically powerful enough.

Also, ICT isn't really intuitive to code.

I made a very basic level decompression routine.

I'd love if one of you would hack it into your own game, but ICT is probably done for now. 😔

I'm too busy. I'm only in 9th grade!

I want to do a new ICT which will use most of the things from the old one. Like the conner engine, and most of the routines.

But I want to use 320B and artifacting to get hires color.

I can't do this on my own. I'll come back and add more levels, but it will be a while before that happens.

Sorry.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Just now, Traxx said:

You really need to focus on game programming instead of visuals.

That's true. You are right on that- but honestly, compared to just about any other homebrew, it doesn't look that great. ICT was meant to prove the 7800 could do a better SMB than the NES and it didn't really do that too well.

4 hours ago, Traxx said:

I'll bet if you programmed a game near SMB quality artists and musicians would jump in to help you,that's why I say focus on programming,that's your strength Ecernosoft.

Yes, Thanks @Traxx

When I make a new game, I'll certainilly ask for help instead of doing it on my own.

• 2 weeks later...