IGNORED

Golden Atari 7800?

R.Cade

Saw this at the flea market today.

I looked it over, and while I can't really tell if it's factory (I doubt it) but it's not something a kid did, or a bad rattle can job...

It was actually taken apart and done reasonably well. 

gold7800.jpg

Without seeing more I have to say with how the silver strip is peeling it was done by somebody and not factory. But it does look really nicely done from what I can see.

I did my Dreamcast back in the day to look like pummeled stone and it was hard to do it well and while it's stayed it's not as good looking as that 7800 after all these years. 

Edited by Silver Back
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, GoldenWheels said:

I've not had a lot of luck getting good results with paint but vinyl can work well, curves dependent...

hYipyQr.jpg

I absolutely LOVE your wood-grain 7800's! I'm about to customize a Sears Video Arcade II (see other thread I started about 7800 in 2800 case) and I think you just sold me on doing vinyl wood grain with it too! I also have some Fuji/Atari decals like you used on the Bamboo(?) wood grain one, and I'm going with that color and decal placement on my SVA2 as well. Both of yours do look incredible, a man after my own heart.

While I can do a professional paint job, it isn't always the right solution. I restored a Bally professional arcade over the last couple of years, as well as custom upgrading it into a full computer that it is capable of and originally designed to do, but all that became vaporware, The faux Walnut wood grain on the Bally was still in excellent condition, it just needed cleaning and shining. So once I had finished the restoration and started upgrading, first I found a tape deck for it that I restored from junk too, but the faux Walnut wood grain on it was heavily worn, especially at the corners.

So I decided to look for product to help restore it, when I came across vinyl as the answer for me an my Bally system too. I was able to make my own mechanical Cherry (key type not wood) keyboard and find a case for it made of real Walnut wood, but not so lucky when it came to my custom numeric keypad. So I used the Vinyl again, But the last bit of equipment was an old silver painted (at manufacture) 14" CRT TV. I decided attempt a Vinyl customization of it too, and it turned out fantastic too! I do have to redo one strip on the left side of the screen that I overstretched to avoid wrinkles, which actually caused some. A 5 min. redo that I haven't bother with yet, but if you zoom in on that side of the TV you can see it.

All the gold trim, even on the restored Bally, I went with gold chrome auto trim detail tape instead of paint for it, no matter the quality of gold or silver or other metallic paint, it can never be as shiny as the original gold transfer they used in manufacture, with a real chrome shine. So I came up with the idea of metallic auto-trim for the restoration too.

20220628_152208.thumb.jpg.cfa08403c23698982544ea40736f71f9.jpg20220628_152252.thumb.jpg.ec888e55713ae314895561a3624a55e4.jpg

The wood grain colors do all match in real life, but between the custom lighting I have in my computer lab and my phone camera, they make all pieces look different shades.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 3

On 6/25/2022 at 4:57 PM, R.Cade said:

Saw this at the flea market today.

I looked it over, and while I can't really tell if it's factory (I doubt it) but it's not something a kid did, or a bad rattle can job...

It was actually taken apart and done reasonably well.

Is the colour definitely painted on and not moulded in?

I have an idea of a possibility for what it might be, but don't want to get into that just yet.

11 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Is the colour definitely painted on and not moulded in?

I have an idea of a possibility for what it might be, but don't want to get into that just yet.

I can go back and check on it, but it had wear and tear on it that did NOT look like paint coming off or flaking. I need to look again to be sure.

• Like 1

Shoot guys I thought I had posted the vinyl dimensions somewhere in the 7800 forum....putting that stuff on the 7800 is VERY easy as essentially it is just three rectangles cut from the same width (one with the cartridge port cut out). The 7800 wraps easy without a heat gun etc. You can do this with 10 bucks of vinyl from ebay, a good ruler, and a sharp exacto knife.

So far as case upgrades, I really wish someone would get that Nolan Bushnell model mold (if it exists) and start selling aftermarket cases.

Dang the 7800 looks nice in white Bob. I know somebody here has a nice red-painted one too.

I considered plexi windows and interior lights on a 7800 case at one point, and may still do it (I have all the parts I'd need already) but I actually think that type of mod on other systems looks kind of goofy soooo.....

• Like 1