IGNORED

Final Vendetta by Bitmap Bureau

ColecoGamer

I’m really surprised that no one has posted about this game yet. It’s a well-polished 2D side-scrolling beat ‘em up for modern day platforms. A Neo-Geo version is currently in development.

The game borrows the best elements from both Capcom’s Final Fight and Sega’s Streets of Rage series. If you love knuckle-whitening, teeth gnashing beat ‘em ups like I do, you owe it to yourself to buy this game on Switch.

Edited by ColecoGamer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, I don't think they could have delayed it at the last minute, but releasing the day after TMNT was clearly not in their favor. The game has been criticized a lot, even though that's a little unfair when you realize it's basically a homebrew game. I find it a little too generic to my taste to be honest, but I'd probably love the soundtrack though.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

The game has been criticized a lot, even though that's a little unfair when you realize it's basically a homebrew game.

Well, iirc, Fight n Rage was made mostly (maybe entirely?) by one guy, and it's as good as anything out there. As "basically homebrew" goes, this does look a lot better than Paprika or Coffee Crisis at a glance, at least.

FV has been on my radar for a bit. Its concept and style is nothing new, but I see in the video, there's some interesting bits like attacking downed enemies, although the dude playing in that video seems like not-an-expert and mostly just jumpkicks everybody and dies constantly. Games with very similar mechanics on the surface can play very solidly, or not very solidly.

• Like 1

I was lucky enough to buy FV on discount on launch day. I believe for what its worth, its a fun little beat ‘em up. It suffers from unfair difficulty (even on Easy) just like Xeno Crisis. The first level is easy to beat, but the later levels are hard as nails.

It doesn’t come close to beating TMNT: Shredder’s Revenge by any stretch of the imagination, but it offers a good time nonetheless.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2022 at 10:13 PM, Daj said:

the dude playing in that video seems like not-an-expert and mostly just jumpkicks everybody and dies constantly

That exactly sounds like a game that is too difficult. Jumpkicks are usually the easy way out (my brother used to spam them in a lot of beat 'em ups and in Mortal Kombat for instance ?).

• Like 1

On 6/27/2022 at 8:04 AM, digdugnate said:

Reading about the difficulty level online gives me pause to purchase the game, even if the soundtrack is really good.  It's a shame since I really do like the genre.  I don't have a lot of time for 'punishing' games.

Well… the simple fact that the developer leaked out a cheat (just one day after launch) to help people beat the game, is an indication of how difficult it really is.

Edited by ColecoGamer
  • Like 1

On 6/27/2022 at 4:21 PM, roots.genoa said:

That exactly sounds like a game that is too difficult. Jumpkicks are usually the easy way out (my brother used to spam them in a lot of beat 'em ups and in Mortal Kombat for instance ?).

As someone who can only make it to stage 4, I can tell you that jump kicking doesn’t help you in later levels. There’s a block system that even the enemies use, and they use it quite often as the difficulty ramps up. I agree that jump kicking constantly in a beat ‘em up is a sign of hard difficulty.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ColecoGamer said:

Well… the simple fact that the developer leaked out a cheat (just one day after launch) to help people beat the game, is an indication of how difficult it really is.

Oh, it's the same guys that made Xeno Crisis... now I'm possibly more interested in this than the Ninja Turtles game, but the difficulty is no surprise. XC is a fantastic game, but it is savage.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Daj said:

Oh, it's the same guys that made Xeno Crisis... now I'm possibly more interested in this than the Ninja Turtles game, but the difficulty is no surprise. XC is a fantastic game, but it is savage.

Yes, Bitmap Bureau is responsible for the game. It’s a great game despite its tremendous difficulty. 

• 1 month later...

Intrigued by this one...hoping it will come to iiRcade sometime.  Definitely daunted by the difficulty comments.  Just finished reinstalling and starting Streets of Rage Remake again; so tough that they make you beat the game once to even open up the Shop, but I managed (and not easily, I was on my last continue / last life and about 30% of even that!  I suck! :) )

I really wish they would always put in an easy mode that's actually easy for casual players.

Streets of Rage 3 US version was basically unbeatable without co-op and even then a major PITA.  Contra: Hard Corps (again, US version) was similarly nightmarish to get anywhere in.  Thankfully on those we can use modified versions that at least give you a chance now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...